DDO online a flop?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

DDO online a flop?

I allready had it in order because I read one praising review but I cancelled it after studing multiple threads about it in many websites. In short the games graphics are depressing, the marketed twitch combat doesnt work fluently, content model of replaying the same quest - is not a good idea, quests have repeatative elements (same puzzle in 5 different quest), there is no feel for world, mobs spawn from thin air in the quests, etc.

Even the limited editon box was a let down:

quote:
Limited Edition

I just got back to work from buying the limited edition, I figured a D&D game would have put out a nice one, boy was I wrong. All the other MMO limited/collector's editions I have bought came in a nice solid box with artbooks/figurines/cloth maps or whatever. This was just a regular retail box that said "Limited Edition" at the bottom. I cut open the stickers and started sliding it out of the box only to discover something odd. What they have done is taken a regular edition box, complete with graphics and folding cover, and placed it in another cardboard box with the same graphics except with "Limited Edition" written on it. They might as well have just used a sticker. The only difference between the two is that they threw in a couple of useless charts printed on glossy paper. There is also some in-game item that helps you run a bit faster. What use that would be in a dungeon crawl game I don't know.

Not to forget that the price of the game has been lowered which doesnt speak highly of its value. To summarise it all heres a cartoon of DDO:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/01/13
Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:07 pm
Znith
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I was in beta for about 3 months and the game didn't impress me at all. Content is sorely lacking. The devs said they held back content for release and updates but from what I've heard and read it's just about the same game as beta was in Nov/Dec.

I think after people have played WOW and EQ2 they expect much more from a big name such as D&D, however Turbine itself isn't a popular mmo company by any comparison. You can get to the max level in just a week or two if you give it some effort and play 5 hours a day.
Post Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:29 pm