guild wars
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
LoneWolf
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

guild wars

are any of you guys playing this game? i've found this game to be completely enjoyable and am wondering if there is an rpgdot guild out there, since most of the people that posts here are, for the most part, mature and helpfull. i'm looking to join a guild and would like to join a guild that's been started by anyone who posts on this site. thx.
Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:40 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I own it... played a week... and haven't really touched it since. It's not a bad game for what it is, though.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:47 pm
LoneWolf
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

well, this is my first mmorpg experience because i refuse to pay a monthly fee to play a game. i'm guessin that this game doesn't have the bells and whistles that "everquest" or "wow" has, but hey, can't ask for more from a game that's free of fees. just found a guild today and they're all cool people so far. if any of you guys play just say hi. my chars name is "Dragon Salyer Nik".
Post Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:45 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

It's not the bells and whistles it's missing: It has those in abundance... it's the feeling of a larger world.

As an example this morning in FFXI I was looking for a treasure coffer that would give me my artifact helm. I was in Crawlers Nest ... a twisting labrynth filled with aggressive monsters of all kinds.

I passed a half dozen parties locked in combat as I wandered around invisible. As I did I noted how each was fighting... who they were using as the main tank, how they spread out their spells, etc.

After crawling around for an hour I just picked a spot where I knew a coffer would spawn, eventually. There happened to be a party near the spot so I said I was here for the coffer and not as a prelude to another party arriving (people are territorial: That's one of the things GW wanted to dodge.).

As I waited I decide to help them out. I'm a bard so I have songs that regenerate my magic points and my second class is white mage so I fling around cures and other support spells. Combine those and I very rarely run out of healing magic... so I just started curing them while waiting.

I got a bunch of cheers, some bows, and some smile emotes as I eased the burden on their own party healers. It let them just keep going and going so their experience point gain was fabulous. Ultimately one of them spotted my coffer while out hunting for a monster and led me to it before any of the other treasure hunters could grab it. I got my helm and put it on and the party I helped congradulated me. I bowed, set off a firework, and teleported back to town.

See, the thing with Guild Wars is that while it does wipe out the negative things --- creature camping, competitive party spots, dungeons that are continously cleared by mad looters so you don't have a chance to get anything cool --- it also wipes out the positive: The random acts of charity and kindness, the stability of a static world, the character recognition.

When wandering through the world singing along as my bard I don't always have time to do something 'big' that involves hours... however if I'm walking down the road and see someone running for their lives in a low level zone with a small army of goblins after them I'll always take the time to save a life. If I see someone dead I'll raise them. If I see someone injured I'll heal them.

Most players do the same, if able. For every jerk who monopolizes some monster or another or drags monsters into you and does something to escape their attention so they kill YOU there's more than a dozen players who will leap in to even the odds in a hopeless fight and heal and protect those weaker than themselves.

In GW, that just can't happen.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:16 am
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I like Guild Wars, but I haven't played it much in the last month or so. The problem is I can't get my friends to buy it, and meting folks in-game is not compelling. When you are in the common areas, all you see are folks either spaming for a mission or doing goofy stuff. You really dont met folks in situations where freinds ships get built and forged. If you join someone for a mission you may do one or two missions with them, then you never see them again. Esp. if you are like me and like to explore and take it easy. The folks that are in the common area gooffing off are not normaly doing the kind of goofing off I like (they aren't role-playing). As much as I want to play, I am putting it off until I get some freinds in the game to experence it with, so I dont do every mission and have nothing left to discover.

If anyone does get a chance to see this game that hasn't yet, I suggest you check out the foutain in the Prelude before moving on..it is realy an impressive sight!
LB.
Post Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:12 am
Skywarp
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I've been playing Guild Wars for a while and I'm having a blast. The community is the right mix of people mature enough not to greif, but loose enough to have fun.

I don't know if there are guilds here, but over at www.gwonline.net there are at least three that I know of. I would stop by there and ask. They're a great bunch of people, I'm sure you'd find a guild right for you.
Post Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:40 pm
adamskydancer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It sounds attactive then..I'll call us my mate to just the Guild War then...We've been around LII for a long time...a bit bord about the same games..then....
Hope to meet you guys in the game
Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:56 am