Mage and Bow? Or Mage and Sword?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Mage and Bow? Or Mage and Sword?

In Gothic 1, I was a fire mage with great bow skills. That was a very good combination in that game. Is it as good in this game?

Right now, I'm at the beginning - with about 15% bow, which isn't even enough to shoot the darn thing. Should I build strength and sword up a bit at the beginning and then concentrate on bow? I think that's what I did in Gothic 1.
Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:49 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Personally, I think sword goes better with mage. You really can't afford the LP to build up both and still be an effective mage. Magic costs a LOT of LP to learn spells, learn runes, build up mana etc. etc.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:04 am
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

Mages already have a very powerful ranged attack.
So I recommend Mage and (one handed)Sword.
Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:07 pm
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

attacks with swords and melee weapons r nice but if u r going to be a mage then ranged weapons should be your tool enemies should have no busness near your fragile character since u have about as much chance of a snoflake in hell to survive
in addition weapons skill in gothic 2 r greatly different from g1
they more costly for one thing and to be an effective figher u need at least 50 to 60 % skill plus a good size strengh.

I pretty much guranty that u could kill every thing agianst u as a mage with no combat (melee or ranged) skills of your own but if u still want a fall back weapon use bows or xbows since thier damage is greater.
Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:58 pm
ServanteS
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by cptmaxon
attacks with swords and melee weapons r nice but if u r going to be a mage then ranged weapons should be your tool enemies should have no busness near your fragile character since u have about as much chance of a snoflake in hell to survive

well said,but if you are good sword handler no matter how low your skill is enemy wont have chanse if i were you i would go for sword
Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:22 pm
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Thank you for giving the answer I wanted to hear. I'll go with bows. If you hadn't responded as you did, I'd have followed the advice of the sword advocates.

quote:
Originally posted by cptmaxon
in addition weapons skill in gothic 2 r greatly different from g1
they more costly for one thing and to be an effective figher u need at least 50 to 60 % skill plus a good size strengh.

I pretty much guranty that u could kill every thing agianst u as a mage with no combat (melee or ranged) skills of your own but if u still want a fall back weapon use bows or xbows since thier damage is greater.

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:28 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Mage and bow? Mages have fire bolts, what do they need a bow for?
Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:51 am
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

Exactly! I'm playing mage with sword right now, 30% 1h and a Torturer's Axe. It's very handy when your mana reach the bottom.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:25 am
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

I argee with Toaster, I used the torturer's axe more often than any other weapon in the game. It doesn't require much strenght and it's very handy to have.
Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:41 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

But I have a +20 or +10, I don't remember which, amulet, exactly 65 strength with that one, but I will maybe want to use another amulet later.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:54 pm
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
Mage and bow? Mages have fire bolts, what do they need a bow for?

You run out of mana a lot quicker than arrows.
Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:33 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...
The last thing you see...

When playing a mage, a bow is definately the way to go. You can always find a nice rock to climb!
Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:13 am
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I guess it's a matter of taste, but I'd have to agree with the folks that choose sword. There will be times when you are rushed and there's NO rock to climb. And if you're on a rock, there's no reason not to be using spells.

I haven't found my mage to be particularly fragile, at that -- I do pretty well with my hammer (my weapon of choice). And strength is easier to increase than dex without training (Innos prayers etc.).
Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:13 am
Scoundrel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Crossbow skill

I took 30% crossbow skill and my Dragonhunter's Crossbow kills almost any beast in two hits. Weak beasts die in one hit and tough ones like demons or shadowlords take 3 or 4 at most, but there aren't too many of them in the game. Bows become pretty useless after a while because the best bow in the game deals less damage and requires more dexterity than the best crossbow.

It is also essential to get at least 30% two-handed and grab that Dragon Slicer from that cave in Ch1( You have 80 str right? ), or if you can't: In Ch2 grab the Stormbringer ( 65str ) from Ice Dragon's cave and run away ( Dragons are invincible at Ch2 ) and it will be good till you get 80 str. 2-handed weapons "Rule" over one-handed weapons, because of their unrealistically long range, but that's just me. ( Trap a Demon behind a door where it can't pass and you can kill it with a 2-handed weapon without the Demon reaching you with it's hands-- It is possible! )

After you can cast 6th lvl spell Rain of Fire (300 damage/ 60 mana ), you won't need anything else beside it and some mana potions which you probably should have more than 250 in three kinds of mana potions total Rain of Fire simply wreaks havoc in a large area, killing everyone except those though beasts in one cast.
Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:39 pm
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

... though after you get your 6th circle spells, the game is nearly over!

(Wave/Breath of Death are fun too... & from the earlier circles, I highly recommend getting Destroy Undead ASAP -- skellies are a cinch after that.)
Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:11 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next