questions about the end ~~spoilers
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
sonicman
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

questions about the end ~~spoilers

I just beat the game, and I have a few questions.
1. can you play after you beat it? it says the characters are saved in a file called "ending.sav", and it shows up in the saves folder, but it doesn't show up on the load game screen.
2. What is the glove that the savant drops? I didn't have a chance to grab it between cut-scenes.
3. I'm gonna play again, and don't want to screw up the t'rang-umpani thing. I blew a ship up the first time, do I simply not do that?
4. I had a lot of apparently useless items at the end, including: blue feather, magnifying lens, pendulum, and a diamond. anyone know what these are for?
5. what were the statues in the middle of ascension peak for?
Thanks
Post Mon May 12, 2003 8:54 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

1) No not what I know, you can't play after showdown!
2) Don't know about the gloves
3) Yep, don't blow up the ship, or sabotage the trang ship either for that matter.
4) Blue feater: To FusFazz potion maker (Tree city), Diamond: goes in the Bank of Arnika, The rest is Gadgeteer items.
5) For its pretty looks, and teleportation point after placing the 3 artifacts
Post Mon May 12, 2003 11:51 am
puma
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I haven't seen any glove either! Maybe you have some bonus edition?
When you beat the game again make sure to printscrin that - I want to see it (I'm also playing it second time, but with breaks, so I will be finishing it somewhen by the end of the year).
I think that ending is saved for possible use in Wizardry IX (if whenever comes out).
Don't destroy either of ships! Just ignore those quests. More important is to find the scouts both T'Rang and Umpani lost.
Gadgeteer items may be merged into nice staff, which works similarly to bard's instruments. You shold have a bard or a gadgeteer in your team. They are no fighters but very useful.
I also had a lot of stuff, I wasn't sure I need. I just stored them in Arnika (at the Inn, opposite to the bank, don' remember her name) - 2 rooms downstairs and one upstairs - with chests an lots of place.
Post Mon May 12, 2003 12:48 pm
otter
One of Us

1. Cobaltine Powerglove. That's a "modern weapon" I got one in W-7, but i forgot what damage, etc they do. I haven't tried to get it here, though some have by starting combat the first time you see the DS on AP, just before the final sequence. You only have it long enough to use it on the DS when he re-appears at the next scene, and IIRC a Strong Bow with Mystic Arrows does more damage per round.
Post Mon May 12, 2003 5:12 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by puma
I think that ending is saved for possible use in Wizardry IX (if whenever comes out).

I suppose Puma is right. It is better to count with sequel and make export data file for future use, then to try to solve this problem when Wizardry IX comes (if it comes).
Post Mon May 12, 2003 5:54 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

@Puma - I disagree with your statement that bards and gadgies are casters and not fighters. Most people seem to play them as casters, not fighters, which is fine, but.... It all depends on what you want them for.

In my second party, from the start I trained my gadgie as a fighter using an unusual formation throughout the game. No one in the front ranks, a five person "front" along the middle and my bishop alone in the rear. This let my gadgie train his sword skill regularly in combat (instead of just bow, sling, etc.). My front 5 were all fighter types, and the gadgie could hold his own. Gadgies can use most swords, and I finished the game with him equipped with a Blade Cuisinart.

In constrast, during my first party I trained my bard more for casting. At one time, I reversed my bard (putting her in front, sword of hearts) and ranger (putting him in the rear) to buff sword and bow respectively. It was playable, but it was tough. If you're going to train them as fighters, you need to do it early, and not when you're fighting level 20+ savant beserkers. But I have no doubt that a bard can be a good fighter if properly played. (Hint: I also had a handicap with my bard for fighting in that she was a faerie - not a good choice for a swordsman.)
Post Tue May 13, 2003 6:37 am
sonicman
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. I was afraid of the answer I got about the end- I was looking forward to plaing as a god. Maybe in Wiz 9, but somehow I doubt it...
Post Tue May 13, 2003 7:46 am
puma
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Wow, Bilbo, did you play a faerie bard as a fighter? That must have been really challanging. I just consider a bard (not yet played with gadgeteer) more useful in the back line or by sides (with bow or spear).
Post Wed May 14, 2003 8:35 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Bards and Gadgies can be solid melee-types if you choose to develop them that way, although (like Bilbo mentioned) you need to make that decision pretty early in the game to make it work out well. I think it makes more sense to do it with a bard, since a gadgie can be deadly shooting his omnigun.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed May 14, 2003 4:10 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by puma
Wow, Bilbo, did you play a faerie bard as a fighter? That must have been really challanging. I just consider a bard (not yet played with gadgeteer) more useful in the back line or by sides (with bow or spear).
Yes, but not until late in the game. I, too, started training her as a caster. Later on I realized that I had completely overlooked her potential in this regard (relying on the 3 fighters in front, 3 casters in rear formation from the early Wizardries).

Due to racial restrictions, she was limited to the Sword of Hearts, IIRC. For this and other reasons, I do not recommend using the faerie class for bards at all - but since the party was an import from Wiz6 & Wiz7, I was stuck with my racial choice from when it made a lot of sense.
Post Fri May 16, 2003 12:20 am
puma
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I haven't played earlier Wizardries, but I am curious about character import. What is imported exactly - name, race, picture; I suppose you don't start with your skills trained to the max!?
Post Fri May 16, 2003 8:44 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

They drop you back to level 5 and start you in a different location depending on what faction you allied with in Wiz7.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri May 16, 2003 11:27 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

You also get starting equipment bonuses. For example, my bard came in with 8 instruments she had in Wiz7. (She had more, but not all transferred.) What items came through were sort of random, but not every item in Wiz7 is available in Wiz8 (horn of prometheus, for example).
Post Sat May 17, 2003 4:42 am
otter
One of Us

If you do the class-rotation method of creating ueber-characters, you can enter W-8 with 20 in all skills except magical and bonus ones. You can bring a couple really good weapons and some useful magic items. And Spellbooks!!! And if you enter the game before taking your 4 extra levels, you get a L1 spawn for your first few random encounters.
Post Sun May 18, 2003 12:02 am
puma
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I started my second party in Wiz8, but I am only in Arnika. I am making a break for some other games and intend to get back to Wizardry in the third quarter of this year.
It seems, by what you say, I would do well if I instead started Wiz7, which I never played. It looks like I could have twice as much fun going through Wiz7 and then Wiz8 with the same party. Only problem is to find a copy of Wiz7 - it is no more available in shops I suppose, and it hasn't gone freeware like Betrayal at Krondor, yet?
Post Sun May 18, 2003 8:18 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next