Usergroups
Why play Morrowind?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

About the lack of sleep: There IS a mod that locks doors overnight (except those of inns and temples and guilds
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:51 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

Interrupted sleep: Any Infinity driven game.
Choose how long to sleep: Fallout I & II. And Gothic.

@Rendelius, the doors may be locked, but itīs still 'day'. A day with moons and stars, but the feeling is the same. Only darker.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:32 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

The first N64 Zelda had wonderful day/night cycles. Thinking of it, the whole game was truly wonderful IMO.
But so was Daggerfall. For me, Morrowind never managed to create the same level of excitement its predecessor did, though it definitely was a good game.
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:41 pm
InSaNe
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

rendelius haven't seen u in the forums for a while
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:59 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

Thanks for the info guys (and girls)!

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:05 pm
Dwango
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Morrowind Mod'd

I noticed no one directly mention the big reason to play MW. But, many posts have mentioned it. The best reason to play MW is for the Mods!

This game is incredibly modable. You have mods that change most aspects of the game. The are new item mods to create better items in the game. You have quest mods which create intricate quests with much better stories than the main quests. There are difficulty Mods which change attributes of all the existing monsters and your ability to level up. Even the AI of the monsters can be improved. But most of all, you get a level of replayability that most developers only dream of. There are mods adding all sorts of new areas and new ideas to the game, fundamentally changing the feel of the game.

I started the game when it first came out and found it somewhat empty feeling. Though beautiful, it felt more like a set. But after modding the game, its a much richer experience, with random encounters, more ful-filling story-line, and more diversity to keep me interested.

Of course there are caveats. Multiple mods can clash with one another, especially if they change the same areas, NPCs, items, or monsters. There is also a bug with MW which can double items, monsters, and NPCs, which Bethesda has not fixed. This bug occurs if you are using a save game when adding a mod, but there is a process to limit this problem. It can be somewhat complex as you add more mods. You may have to use tools to make the game work, such as the leveled list merger which takes lists from each mod of game props and makes sure they all get used and don't overwrite each other. But overall the extra work is minimal, and doesn't need to be done if you start a game fresh after adding mods and check out the compatibility list found in most MW sites.

So if you want an ever-expandible world with new challenges, play Morrowind... MOD STYLE!

-Dwango
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:53 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Insane: Yep, lack of time. I have to do a lot of work for the site, and we are preparing another one

Yes, mods do change the game dramatically - and the great thing is that they get better and better. And more and more.

Rinuel at MorrowindDot tries to keep the visitors informed about new mods. So it's worth paying a visit there often
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:42 pm
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

Is there any mod that you can highly recommed, i would like to test at least one.
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:56 am
Cooper
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius
I play it since the day I got the press beta. I never stopped playing it for longer than a week since that.
So I must really like the game.

Well, how could you not.

This is the best game I've ever played, and I've started with pong more than 20 years ago.

All his shortcomings, some of which are listed here, don't change the fact that it is free form and non linear: I still haven't finished the main quest and I've played for a year now. I just play the main quest when it happens upon me, otherwise I leave it alone.

How can this be linear, will someone please tell me? I go around and my main goal is to collect all the books in the game and gather them in my own special home I've made with a mod.

Name another game where you can do that...

Sure, the main quest in itself IS linear, but this doesn't change a thing. I already traveled around Mournhold but I still have to visit all of Vvardenfell: this game is wonderful AND huge and I love it.
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:23 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

My main goal was owning a house; in the end I 'owned' four (my Hlaalu house, the Balmora Camona Tong den, the murderer's shack in Seyda Neen and one derelict hut somewhere near the cost far from 'home') and kept one tidy (Caius Cosades' house to be exact), and I spent most of my quest-free time with interior decoration.
Morrowind was a decent game even though IMO it was not the best game ever (I'm another Pong veteran).
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:49 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I like Morrowind very much but I really had a hard time warming up to it. I have great fun with TES Editor.
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:03 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

[quote="Cooper"]
quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius

How can this be linear, will someone please tell me? I go around and my main goal is to collect all the books in the game and gather them in my own special home I've made with a mod.

Well, I don't think that there is a single TRUE non-linear game out there. I consider Morrowind to be somewhat linear because you cannot, change the gameworld with your actions cause even if you kill all of the people in th gameworld, it doesn't seem to change a thing. The quests are also fairly linear and monotonous.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:45 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

@hoyp - I consider to be somewhat linear for exactly the same reasons. I can not change the economy ... no matter how much stuff I dump on the market, nor can I dabble in politics. Nor can I hire a band of mercenaries to assist me in cleaning out a band of thugs. The NPCs do what they do, and that is it.

That said, I have found the experience to be very entertaining - and I will keep it on my hard drive for quite some time to come. It is a great way to spend a rainy weekend.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:33 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Very true - although I don't usually think that far when considering non-linearity!

I have to say that I consider Daggerfall a less linear game than Morrowind - but only because I treated it as a toy. My highest level character was about level 8, I never really strayed far from Daggerfall city itself, and the furthest I got in the main quest was attending the meeting mentioned in the first note you receive.

I just wandered around, broke into houses, killed wild animals for the Fighter's Guild (would like to operate a trap-and-release policy, but the engine didn't support it), took my wagon out to a graveyard and picked off the grave-robbers when they appeared, and climbed up walls and over houses, all just for fun. I didn't do much dungeon-hacking, and considered it the least fun part of the game! Most of my characters, after escaping from the initial dungeon, never went near another one...

But I have to say that for me Morrowind is very non-linear, and I don't feel constrained by the engine at all.
Post Thu May 01, 2003 1:40 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I have to admit that Daggerfall was, to me, very non linear, because I never started the main quest. Somehow I just never got around to it ... and then I started to get very depressed as the game became increasingly unstable. I would get cocky and not save for an hour or so, then CRASH. So I stopped playing after a few months. But I missed the feeling of "BIG" ... not just the world, but the dungeons and some of the rooms were just huge.
Post Thu May 01, 2003 12:38 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next