RPGDot Network    

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
Display full image
Pic of the moment
More
pics from the gallery

Site Navigation

Main
   News
   Forums

Games
   Games Database
   Top 100
   Release List
   Support Files

Features
   Reviews
   Previews
   Interviews
   Editorials
   Diaries
   Misc

Download
   Gallery
   Music
   Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
System Shock 2: Rebooted asked to move along by EA
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

System Shock 2: Rebooted asked to move along by EA

EA has sent a letter along to the System Shock 2: Rebooted mod community asking them to disassociate their work with the System Shock name. Read about it <a href="http://rebooted.purkaia.net/dead_letter/" target="_blank">here</a>.
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:09 am
Garrett

ok come on ea, buzz off. as if you ever would seriously ever use one of your grand brands again.

ea is a famous brand cemetary, where ultima, command & conquer, system shock, wing commander, crusader, populous ans many more a buried. i hope one day, ea rests here as well!

Last edited by Garrett on Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:11 am
Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I have no idea what the PR guys in EA are thinking. Fan made stuff like this will keep brands like System Shock alive and help boost sales if EA finally decides to release SS3!

I guess they would rather let titles like SS and Wing Commander die just like that. If only Interplay would make Freespace 3 and Realms of the Haunting 2 to prove that space sims and horror FPS could still sell well.

quote:
ea is a famous brand semetary, where ultima, command & conquer, system shock, wing commander, crusader, populous ans many more a buried. i hope one day, ea rests here as well!

Don't forget Undying. That's one great FPS in the graveyard. How ironic!
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:59 pm

Unless EA is working on System Shock 3, or has imminent plans to do so, this is ludicrous. Why else would they do this? It's been about 5 years since System Shock 2 was released. And has anyone actuality verified that EA owns the rights?
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:07 pm

Majnun
Village Leader
Village Leader

Actually even if, hell especially if, they are working on/plan on making System Shock 3 a fan-made retelling of SS2 could only HELP them. I mean surely even the f*cktards in management at EA don't think "Oh my GOD, it's a MOD of SS2! Now nobody will buy SS3!" Even if EA were doing a Doom 3 kind of deal and just retelling System Shock 2 with pretty new technology...people would STILL buy it in addition to getting this mod.

Another fine example of completely f'ing moronic publishers.
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:09 pm

EA are fucking stupid bastards. Tell everyone to stop buying their shit.
"cemetery" is spot on, Garret.
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:10 pm

Garrett

@all: good to see that nobody really likes ea, unfortunately, enough people buy theit games

@guest: of course - been reading too much stephen king lately probably *g*
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:54 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
EA are fucking stupid bastards. Tell everyone to stop buying their shit.
"cemetery" is spot on, Garret.

I couldn't agree more and I've already stopped buying products published by them.

I wish they wouldn't buy licenses to generes their company culture appears to disdain. They snuffed out the single player Ultima series as well as the lands of lore series first by bringing the player base rushed versions of successors only to kill each series outright as they discovered the long production lead times and lack of a gigantic humongous 100 million mass market of FPS gamers.

I'm just waiting for EA to buy the Gothic license, kill the series, sell the company, then complain to the mod community to not use their license because it doesn't belong to them.

EA is the last, and I mean LAST company on Earth to complain to ANYONE about so-called respect. Hypocrites.
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:00 pm
gargar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

isn't it WEIRD? i mean, there is a remake for every ultima in existence (and some that doesn't exist) and for years EA say no word about it even though there are huge names infringements and copyright breakings everywhere. so why with system shock?
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:52 pm

Looks like I won't be purchasing any further EA products. Ah well.
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:45 pm

guenthar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Same thing happened with the Ultima 1 remake and they had to change the name of the game to era.
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:56 pm
sire
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Now I don't like EA either, but it's odd that someone would mention Undying in this context. It was a great horror FPS, got great reviews everywhere - and almost nobody bought it. Message from gamers to EA: stop making interesting games, we want WW2 FPS and StupidSports2005. You can't blame them for listening.
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:00 pm
gargar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by guenthar
Same thing happened with the Ultima 1 remake and they had to change the name of the game to era.

NO!! they've changed it cause they've gone commercial! the game will actually cost money so naturally EA would have done somehting about it. it was all over the net at that time. ea never ever asked to stop any of the remakes or things like that.
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:21 pm
Dhruin

That's not quite how I recall it. As I remember, ERA was always intended to be free until after they ran into legal questions with EA when they decided to pursue their own game and later release it commercially.
Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:05 am
gargar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

that's their exuse for changing to commercial. there are remakes for all the ultimas some which are much closer to being complete and no one ever got any word from ea. doesn't it tells you something? maybe that ea didn't actually contacted that and they just want to earn some money from their skills? if you look back at the different remakes forums you can see what exactly other teams think about it.

oh, and ERA was never free. ultima 1 was free. from the moment they changed it to era they demanded money. that is the sole fact.
Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:50 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next