View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
Did you hear the electric zap on that "ATM"? Perhaps the wiring needs a look?

I checked out the wires and got 'zapped'. That's why I was exploring the entire cave system ... it was an attempt to find something to repair them with. Am I missing something here?

This is a case of 'spoil me' I am stuck. If you guys weren't here I'd just say 'screw it, the Umpani are toast', throw my lot in with the T'Rang and move on. But I hate not knowing the solution to what appears to be a simple puzzle.

I am working on the assumption that Sgt Rubble is beyond on of those doors ... there is no where else for him to be ... unless he is one of those 'mobile' NPCs, like the trainers in M&M9 (Ug! I hated tracking those guys down!!).
Post Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:10 am
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

Spoiler:
You need to reconnect the wires in the back in a certain order. If you do not, you get zapped. There are only 6 possible combinations so I'll let you figure out the correct order
Post Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:57 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Oh crud! First time the game has expected that kind of detail from me. No wonder I missed it.

Thanks _gator! Can't wait to try later tonight.
Post Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:36 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Ug. Much has happened since I last had a chance to write here ...

Lets see, fixed the wires, did what ever mission follwed next (alliance offer?). Then ran around some ... tried to find Marten's Words - no luck in the Bluff, either upper or lower - so I decided to carry on with the Umpani mission. The underwater stuff was much harder than expected (can you rest underwater?). I found that Vi has become my number one mayhem machine ... without her the party is not half as survivable! Odd. Didn't realize how much she contributed to the party. Number 2 healer (Divine spell casting is over 60, with no skill points added), something like 4 really devestating attacks a round (about 35 pts per hit!!), the 2nd best AC, a very high initiative, a ton of HPs and the pole weapon range just can't be beat for versatility.

So I decided to bail out of the trip to Bayjin (gotta love that teleport spell!) and went off to explore the SE Wilderness. Found a REALLY tough encounter there (the temple like thing). Had to run like the Dickens to get out of *that* one without a reload Cleand out the Wilderness Clearing - that yielded some really good stuff, and am now getting the piss kicked out of me in what I *think* is Rapax Rift ... there was the cave behind the water fall there (every game has one it seems).

There is one set of encounters that I just couldn't get through! Five wind pixies (?) and 3 minor demons. Either encounter I could handle with out *too* much trouble, but both together are just too danged much. The blasted Pixies are not effected by my freeze spells and the demons break out much too quickly. On my fourth attempt up the mountain, the pixies were replaced by 8 acid wings and there were only 2 demons ... HURRAY! Then I had to quit for the evening. Not sure what is up there, but judging by the difficulty of getting the road cleared, it ain't gonna be easy *grin*

Hey, do I get any experience rewards for world class running away skills?

Question 1 - Is it possible to get the Mook to sign an alliance with both camps? If so, how? I tried every topic of conversation I could think of with the head Mook and just could *not* get him to sign the T'Rang alliance. I gave him the offer letter and he just said something about 'interesting' or some such.

Question 2 - Did I miss something? I can't find 'Marten's words' anywhere! Are they in Martens Bluff (Upper or Lower)? I kinda recall thinking that they would be ... don't recall why though. I've spent quite some time looking for secret passages, hidden doors, and poking my nose around as much as possible. I am not looking for a real spoiler here ... just a tip in the right direction. Okay, there are a few places I didn't go in Lower Marten's Bluff. There are a few 'restricted' areas where the T'Rang won't let me go and there is the 'zapper' door in the room with the elevator to MB you know, the one with the .... OMG .... imprint of a paw that might just match that dead arm I've been carting around with me.

small interlude in typing while Lintra hits himself in the head with the butt of his palm multiple times, then decides that wasn't good enough and so bangs his head on the desk two or three times for good measure.

Okay - don't answer this one yet, I have to try out the arm first! Doncha just love games that actually make you think some?
Post Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:16 pm
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
am now getting the piss kicked out of me in what I *think* is Rapax Rift ... there was the cave behind the water fall there (every game has one it seems).

Mountain Wilderness

quote:

Only if you killed something when doing so.

quote:
Question 1 - Is it possible to get the Mook to sign an alliance with both camps? If so, how? I tried every topic of conversation I could think of with the head Mook and just could *not* get him to sign the T'Rang alliance. I gave him the offer letter and he just said something about 'interesting' or some such.

The purpose of the letters is to gain access to the Mook base. For the Umpani, they want an alliance. For the T'Rang, they want you to check out the 'artifact'.

quote:
Doncha just love games that actually make you think some?

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do!
Post Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:37 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by _gator
quote:

Only if you killed something when doing so.

Hey, that was meant to be a joke! I was just tossing the idea out there ... a skill "Running Away", the more you do it, the more effective you become. If it existed my party'd be world champs at it *grin* Only two reloads due to party death is not too shabby - I am trying to keep it at two - but sometimes things just don't work out the way you thought they might *grim grin*

As to the alliance issue, I thought the T'Rang wanted an alliance ... guess I have to go back and re-read the mission in the Journal, then see ... um ... Z'ant (??) again. I'll be there anyway checking out the paw thingy.

Mountain Wilderness??? But isn't that at the top of the sea? Dang! That means I can't access the sea caves from the landward side .. either that or I missed a turn off. Drat. I was kinda persuing the Marten trail. So, if my memory of the map is accurate, that means I have to go to Bayjin to get to the sea caves. Drat! I like having Vi in the party.

I was about to lament all that wasted time ... but exploration is never wasted .. not to mention I had fun doing it *grin*
Post Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:17 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

You can get to the Sea Caves without going thru Mt Gigas. You cannot get there without doing some scuba.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:00 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
You can get to the Sea Caves without going thru Mt Gigas. You cannot get there without doing some scuba.

Well, there maybe a third route, but she won't enter Bayjin (the other route that I think should get me there. No problem though ... I will just have to live w/ out Vi until I get there.

Okay, continued update ... finished getting to the top of the hill and found the entrance to Ascension Peak, spoke with a demon there - very interesting conversation! Set a teleport point and zipped back to MB. Tried the paw, and yeah it worked *grin*. So now off to Trynton ... didn't make it before Mrs Lintra got back. So now the plan looks something like:

1. Go to Trynton, talk w/ shaman.
2. Return to Arnika get Chaos Molari (Okay so I might have a fight) and check out the tower ... I couldn't get the demon to give me any hints on how to get in (an man o man did I try!!) ... to do some advanced scouting.
3. Return to Z'ant and talk w/ him (only after saving! Don't want to lose the CM).
4. Decide whether to then venture to Rapax territory or head to Bayjin .... right now I am leaning towards Bayjin, as it is so remote from everything else I am hoping to find a teleport device there ... will wait and see.

Of course all plans might change based on the results of the conversation w/ the Shaman, or some other unforseen occurance *grin*

After the arm revolation (sp?) I did a quick inventory of all my 'odd' items ... I have to remember to try the silver marble (with HLL on it - thats the hint) in Arnika. My current guess is the spaceport or the tower - the only two places I can recall that had off limit areas or broken machines.

While traveling from the T'Rang teleport point to Trynton I ran into huge mobs of lower level beasties (okay they are L12 or so), and while the combats are not all that challenging and I do not get much experience, the skill increases are very impressive!! It is very satisfying to see each character get 3 or 4 increases (more for the spell casters).

Okay, I have to admit, this is a great game!! But I will have to shelve it after I get the Grimoire beta later today.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:11 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
2. Return to Arnika get Chaos Molari (Okay so I might have a fight) and check out the tower ... I couldn't get the demon to give me any hints on how to get in (an man o man did I try!!) ... to do some advanced scouting.

You'll need the Rapax's unwitting help to gain entrance to that place. You'd better move that to the backburner.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:47 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4