View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
TheRaven
Village Leader
Village Leader

exp question

I am not even half-way through chapter 2 and already lvl 14
Is one likely to reach the lvl cap before the end of the game if you do all side-quests?
would be boring ...like it was in BG 1
Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:00 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

I was like level 12 in chapter 3. That character was crappy.
You can only reach level 20, thats the cap.
Post Thu Aug 08, 2002 1:47 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

You can easily reach the cap before finishing.
Post Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:08 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Though I didn't. Went everywhere, did everything I could for the review... and I was level 18 or 19.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:40 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

why do they cap your level in the first place? i hate xp caps in games. i understand that the developers don't want you to become too powerful, but that means ending up with a character who stagnates towards the end of a game. crap! is their a crack for this out there in the wide world of game mods. ofcourse you couldn't use the character in mp, but in sp it might be fun.
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 6:00 pm
mikelhall
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

They (Bioware) didn't cap the XP. Level 20 is the max "standard" level in DnD 3E. To advance further, you must use the Epic Level Rules.

=Member of the Worshipers of the Written Word=
=Member of the RPGDot Shadows=
=Member of the Sixth House=
=Member of the Alliance of Middle-Earth=
=Member of the Non-Flamer's Guild=
=Member of the Followers of Righteousness=
Post Fri Aug 16, 2002 3:29 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

*sniff* Is that an expansion pack I smell?
Post Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:02 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Unlike BG2 where your characters was maxed out already in the middle of the game, You get you character maxed out close to endgame in NWN. I don't find it irritating in NWN, it's also nice to use a "super" hero in the last hours of the game.
Post Fri Aug 16, 2002 10:59 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

quote:
Originally posted by Val
*sniff* Is that an expansion pack I smell?

The Epic Level rules are better suited for a computer game than tabletop, so it would be cool to see.

Good lord are they ever more suited for a computer game...

Saving grace of the epic ruleset is that no matter how powerful your character becomes (think Hercules or Samson from mythology, which I know was the POINT, but MAN....) the monsters are MUCH harder.

Would be kind of cool to see in an expansion for NWN... though I doubt it will ever happen, as it requires things like Prestige Classes and such and several HARD abilities to code.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Aug 16, 2002 1:51 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

maybe this is a moot point. but, i am wondering why bioware can't take a little liscense from the D&D stuff/system and create their own game. i think the computer environment is different than the table top environment and would handle epic characters. i have to admit that i have never cared for table top D&D so maybe my opinion here isn't valid. but, it seems to me that the folks at bioware ought to be able to take advantage of D&D for those things that work well & shift away from D&D where they can make improvements. XP & levels is one area that they be well advised to expand or change in the computer game system.
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:41 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by txiabxyooj
maybe this is a moot point. but, i am wondering why bioware can't take a little liscense from the D&D stuff/system and create their own game. i think the computer environment is different than the table top environment and would handle epic characters. i have to admit that i have never cared for table top D&D so maybe my opinion here isn't valid. but, it seems to me that the folks at bioware ought to be able to take advantage of D&D for those things that work well & shift away from D&D where they can make improvements. XP & levels is one area that they be well advised to expand or change in the computer game system.

The only problem I see with that txiabxyooj is that Wizards of the Coast don't want someone mucking around much with the games system. D&D 3E is sold as is (i.e. if you want to use the D&D logo then you use the whole system) - it about protecting their right and controlling the quality of their system. Basically they have decided that the current rules are what represent D&D so won't allow other to change them (a bit like Lucasarts and the whoel Star Wars continuity thing). If someone wanted to change the system then they would no longer be using the official D&D rules and there WotC would no longer be in total control of a product containing their logo. Although there is nothign to stop someone adapting the system and then not using the D&D logo (as long as they adapted it by more than 30%) but then you lose a powerful marketing tool.

I would like to see more PnP game adapted for CRPG as I think some would make very interesting (but perhaps complex games). Shadowrun would be very interesting as would Cthulu (I know there is a game stalled in production about this at the minute). So if any publishers are listening please talk to PnP companies about producing decent CRPGs (sit down White Wolf games, I didn't mean you - you had your chance )
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 7:23 pm