25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 12

Author Thread
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

did you play table-top RPG? (POLL)

Did you ever play table-top RPGs? I know most of us did, but i am wondering if there are any CRPG players that DIDNT play table-top RPGs. They will probably be the younger generation i guess. I was introduced to Dungeons and Dragons when i was 9 years old by a friend named Scott (who was 15 years my elder) who happened to die in a car accident a few years back (rest in peace) -- anyway, i started at 9 years old and from that time forward i played Dungeons and Dragons (plus various incarnations of the game that me and my friend Eric made up) for like 15 years total. It was sooooo much fun. I really miss playing it with serious friends. I hate playing light-hearted D&D, it has got to be serious play. I havent played for years since i have nobody to play with in this lonely small town in Montana that i am at. So that is why i play computer RPGs instead, which i am beginning to think are better than anything i played table-top, imho.
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 7:35 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I started in '82 (I was 16 then) when my cousin brought a pen and paper RPG from the States, and guess what... it was AD&D (not the predecessor and successor, D&D). I liked the concept, i enjoyed the sessions... then my brother decided that he needed some RPG, too, so he bought Tunnels & Trolls (which was, in hindsight, just a satirical RPG joke), but we actually played it for a while. Then he decided that he was sick of being a DM and asked me to do it.
Well, from then on I was the Dungeon Master/ Gamesmaster/ Referee for all the RPGs someone in our group bought. Next was DSA which I hated (combat was too complicated for my taste), then Midgard... and then i decided to buy a Science Fiction RPG. Unfortunately it was Star Frontiers, another game by Gygax, and like most of his stuff it was horrible (I managed to sell it for a lot of money a few years ago). Then I bought Taveller, the first SF RPG ever, and I instantly fell in love. I happen to own all four editions of Traveller ... then followed GDW's other RPGs: Twilight: 2000, 2300AD, Dark Conspiracy, Merc:2000, and some time later, WEG's Star Wars RPG (we still have a SW campaign going in our current RPG group).
We played some other games in between, too, but my personal favorites are Twilight/Merc:2000, the WEG (D6) Star Wars RPG and, of course, Traveller (especially Ed. 2, MegaTraveller, and Ed. 3, Traveller: The New Era).
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 11:24 am
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

I still play D&D, it's a lot of fun.
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:39 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

No I didnt and I will probably never try it. I am totaly PC RPG player.
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 1:08 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

Yes, I started with RuneQuest, then tried D&D (then AD&D) then moved to Warhammer then to Vampire and briefly tried a few others. I no longer play any simply because I can find nobody else who wishes to take the time from families. While I play them (and keep hoping for a similar experience) CRPGs don't even come close to the rewarding experience of playing amidst fellow adventurers.
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 3:14 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

Me, Jericho and some friends of ours used to play somekind of horror-rpg. Can´t remember it´s name right now, but it had something to do with a paralel reality called Metropolis I think. And for some strange reason Leonardo da Vinci was involved.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 3:15 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Hmmm... I'm afraid for for me a CRPG is more of a crutch for those hard times when we don't have a 'real' RPG campaign going.
I mean, in a CRPG you never really get the feeling of freedom. The technical nature of a CRPG prevents this. Which doesn't mean that CRPGs aren't fun, they just are not the same as p&p RPGs. What I'm looking for in both kinds of games is immersion, suspense, action and interaction... and in p&p games I usually get more of the first and last.

=EDIT
We played Vampire, Werewolf and some other stuff as well, I remember having played Call of Cthulhu, we also played MechWarrior (both editions, how could I forget that? I met my current group then... 11 years ago) and Shadowrun and Cyberpunk... and Rifts... and Justifiers (a 'Furry' game)...
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 3:15 pm
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

Strictly computer.

Started with Secret of Mana for the Super Nintendo.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 3:28 pm
Oye
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

rawr, yes. I can only remember the name of one though, hero quest. I loved those games

¯|_
   |_     
     |_

Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 6:04 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

BTW, Oye, the only truly defenceless jellyfish I am familiar with is a totally desicated one (preferably a year old desicated ).
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 6:10 pm
Oye
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

it has to be alive though, gotta love the feeling of it wiggling down your aesophagus

¯|_
   |_     
     |_

Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 6:21 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I played D&D and White Wolf. I enjoyed White Wolf more than D&D, because the D&D people werent into it like the White Wolf people were. It was a whole dark dreary modern gothic punk thing, it was arcane feeling and cool. The D&D I played earlier, the people just werent serious. Alot of times they didnt even roll the dice alot, there werent even any real maps, and it was like made up as we went along. I was a player and I was doing all the mapping as we went, then the DM would want to look at my map! Bad scene, maybe I needed a diff group, but they were the only people I could hook up with in my area. I was young, i didnt have a car or anything ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Dec 01, 2002 4:48 am