View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Deus Ex: The Wolf or the Sheep

How frustrating!

There I am, determined to make my through the game in as pacifist a manner as possible. Hoping perhaps in some small way to compensate for my performance in general in other games where I sit crouched over the keyboard as “Badger the Butcher”. The room shrouded in semi darkness, pierced only by the flickering light of the monitor, splashing dancing shadows in the rooms lonely corners. The only sounds the clickity click of the keys, the low hum of my mantra, “kill, kill, kill,” and the screams of the dying and dismembered.

And it’s hard you know? To venture into the night armed only with a stun stick and a small pack of tranc darts. Hard to fight the animal within who yearns for the hunt and the kill. Hard because they ARE trying to kill you and hard because walking softly in the shadows is not an easy road.

But I persevere, I wrestle my demons and I win. In my wake no corpses litter the night. Those I have encountered merely sleep like babes nestled safely in the folded wings of their dreams.

But not for me this sweet life of righteous progress through Deus Ex’s dark world. All my effort snatched away in a fickle twist of AI generated fate.

Battery Park, how bitter the taste left by the sound of that name.

Approaching from underground I travel unnoticed for the most part. What souls I do come across are consigned to sweet slumber before I move on. But when I raise my head above ground I am confronted by the smell of death and the animal within me stirs uneasily.

The air is heavy with the fragrant sent of blood and cordite and my head is left spinning by the seductive sound of blazing gunfire, screaming shells and the maniacal laughter of the architect of the slaughter, Anna Navarre.

Standing at the gates like a demonic parody of a shield maiden of old made flesh. Guns aflame and head thrown back with the sheer joy of the moment. By the time I emerge into the light, the deed is mostly done.

Walking slowly through the gates Anna smiles provocatively at me and whispers, “It’s good to see that unlike your brother, you are not afraid to kill.” The last word hissed like a sweet trophy close to my ear.

Well there seems little point in trying to argue with this unbalanced psychopath. I killed no one, but what she thinks I did is immaterial …… isn’t it?

Apparently not! On returning to the base I am congratulated by many I meet for not leaving a man standing at Battery Park. It seems my reputation is spreading fast.

The most bitter twist comes when I visit the armoury to restock and I open my mouth to speak, but can’t quite believe the torrent of lies that emerges. The animal ever close to the surface takes over with a snarl and laughingly boasts of the carnage, revelling in the detail of it.

The armourer declines my request for restock, he feels there’s been enough killing and who am I to argue. I don’t remember doing these things. But am I victim to the beast to within? Rising unbidden to control my destiny and damn my soul?

Whatever the truth I know now that I am too weak to follow the moral high road. I must go now to find an air departure location and I’ll not be taking my stun baton. I’ll leave the tranc darts as well and instead I’ll spit hot lead and death at my enemies. I’ll kill and maim because that’s who I am.

And you obviously can’t fight who you are.

Badger.
Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:51 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Even though I like IW better than the Conspiracy, the Conspiracy has better dialogue. My favorite line is when the UNATCO guards are making fun of Paul Denton and his affinity for Non-lethal force. They offer JC Denton some gas-grenades. I love it when JC Denton has the choice of saying...

"Keep those things...they save lives"
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:25 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hehehe i liked DeusEx1 damn much tho the second part was not that good anymore too much cartoonish
Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:30 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Sounds like you were stitched up good & proper, Badger. I also played much of Deus Ex in a non-lethal manner, until I realised I'd accidentally loaded "normal" darts instead of tranqs and murdered at least one guy who, strictly speaking, wasn't my enemy (I swear, it was an accident! But why I didn't I reload the game and do it again? Hmmm.... ). And when I found the ultimate weapon combo... pepper spray and sword! ... any lenient tendencies well and truly disappeared. Slashing my opponents accross their blinded faces was just too much fun... oh god, I must be a psycopath.
Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:34 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

I've now shot a Cat with a tranc dart... just to see how far it could stagger! Such is the depth of my depravity.

I am now in search of a Rat in order to conduct further experiments.

I propose "The Deus Ex Staggering Olympic Games"
Entrants include;
From the common folk, Mole people and bums.
From the terrorists, asst masked men and Paul Denton
From UNATCO, Manderley and his secretary
From the Animal Kingdom, Rats,Cats,Dogs and their surprise entrant, Gunther.

Badger
Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:34 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:15 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

quote:
Originally posted by Badger
From the common folk, Mole people and bum

When you get to Hong Kong, don't forget to "volunteer" the citizens in the market for your experiments as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Badger
From the Animal Kingdom, Rats,Cats,Dogs and their surprise entrant, Gunther.

The pigeons! How could you forget the pigeons? By the way, did you know that startling a flock of pigeons can alert the guards to your presence?
Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:21 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

ehe i noticed that also onze only cos there are not much pigeons ´heheh
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:32 pm