Realms of Arkania:Blade of Destiny
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Starshyne
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Realms of Arkania:Blade of Destiny

I've recently rediscovered an old favorite crpg of mine called Realms of Arkania:Blade of Destiny which I haven't played since the early 90s. I was wondering since I'm having trouble finding any useful information out on the web for this old but way cool game if anyone else plays it and would like to help me work out a help site for it. For instance help working out the stats for weapons, armor etc.

What ever works!
Trying to juggle her bag of tricks, bap sticks, magickal bubbles, and life all at once.
For holistic medicine and other pagan related information check out Rainbow Holt's Page
http://www.pagans.org/~starshyn/
Post Mon May 06, 2002 11:53 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Can't say that I've ever heard of it. What's it like?

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon May 06, 2002 12:39 pm
Starshyne
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Blade of Destiny is the first part of a trilogy made by SirTech back in 1992. I think it is one of the only crpg that closely fits pen-and-paper RPGs, in fact it's based off a german board game called Das Schwarze Auge. You have two ways of creating characters, novice and advanced, both using roll dye method. In advanced you have more involvement with your skill levels. You choose and develop 6 characters to hunt, look for water or gather herbs, rest and heal from battles, and based on their attributes on the respective skills, you'll get different results. The main play is to find a sword to prevent an orc war, along the way of course is more then 70 towns, dungeons, and ruins with various battles and puzzle solving. Moving around is in old style format and is in first person but battles are from over head, with both views movement is tile by tile. I can go into more detail if you really want but I hope this answers your question.

What ever works!
Trying to juggle her bag of tricks, bap sticks, magickal bubbles, and life all at once.
For holistic medicine and other pagan related information check out Rainbow Holt's Page
Post Mon May 06, 2002 1:43 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

I remember this game well. I enjoyed it alot(except for the fact that the game had many skills which were never of any use in the game, but as long as you knew which they were and not to waste points in them, it was ok). The game is quite dated now, but the final game in the series, Shadows Over Riva still looks decent and has a great cd quality music soundtrack.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 12:04 am
Starshyne
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

My teens and I have played it back when it was only available on floppy and are playing Blade again thanks finding it available on cd. We'd lost the game thanks to a computer crash and corrupted floppies and thanks to being low income couldn't afford the 50 or so bucks to replace it til I found it on cd with the other 2 and for tons less. I'd not been able to finish it yet to play the other 2 games as I keep stopping to work on putting together what info I can on it hehe. I'm also having to redo all my maps by hand again since I can't find where I put the last set I made. I didn't even know there was 2 others til last week when I found the cd online, but we can't wait to try them out. Is moving around the same awkward tile by tile?

Sure wish someone with the ability would remake it with today's tech and effects as it really does rock:)

What ever works!
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:00 am
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

Hi Starshyne!

I've once made some sort of handbook for Blade of Destiny, you can find it at http://arhu.cjb.net//rpg.html . It has some useful things in it, but actually there is still quite a lot to do.
My goal is to make something like that for the whole trilogy, I'm currently in Lowangen (Star Trail).

And... hmm, I would be glad to help you compiling a help site for it. Then I could also revamp the layout of that handbook.
Unfortunately, I can't play any of the three games until next month or so, because they wouldn't run under W2K/XP, but when I get a new comp (for Morrowind besides others) I'll reinstall Win98 on my old one.

Anyway, I'm itching to play the games again, with all your talking and stuff.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 9:55 am
Starshyne
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Super! I see you also include german, a language that I have no clue on and so wish I did. I barely have a handle on my native american english:P I do want to cover the whole trilogy, it's just right now that I'm working on the first one, blade of destiny. I want to make sure to work it all out now so my walkthrough etc will be throughough from the beginning. Thanks for any help you can be on any of them:)

I still use win98, too dang stubborn to switch over to win2000 yet heh, so can't help with figuring out how to get the games to work without you having to use win98, sorry.

It's up to you if you want and can translate what all I do for the site as it would be cool to have it available to non english speaking folks as well but not a requirement since I have no idea if any german sites cover Realms other then a few that seem to have the box cover image and main map.

I'm using a team of witch, she-rogue, magicienne, ice elf, druid, and silvan elf, so am looking for anyone that plays the other archtypes so I can get all the weapons and armor info. like damage, attack etc points as well as weight; not going to bother listing cost as it differs from city to city in some cases.

I've gotten screen shots of all the weapons except for heavy crossbow, mengibar, obsidian dagger, and have all the armor. I can send my lists on both to any who like, although I'm using ms word to compile it so right now their available only in doc right now. I'll post the url here once I'm ready with the pages of course.

Other then that I'm also working on all the town and dungeon maps, and a herb listing which I still need to finish collecting all the images for weeee. I can also use any suggestions as to what all folks think I should include with the site once I have it up that is. I've been fighting a bout of mean migraine lately so haven't gotten to the html coding yet mainly cause I want to have all the text and images ready first.

bapping self for rambling again hehe

What ever works!
Post Thu May 09, 2002 10:33 am
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

Oh my, this will be so much fun!
*beams*

Trust me, it doesn't run under w2k. I've tried everything. Even installed a program (forgot the name) to make it possible to install Win98 within w2k, to no avail.

Yes, I played the game in German but wanted to do the handbook in English too, that's why I also got the English trilogy. So maybe you could eventually fix all my grammar and spelling errors...
And I'll translate all of what you are doing, that's for sure!

Doing the text and images first is a good idea by the way, I did the same.
If you need any help during your adventures, don't hesitate to ask. As for the html coding, I could be of help there as well if you like. Oh, and you can of course take any info from my handbook to complete yours.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 11:09 am
Starshyne
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm far from an english major but I'll be happy to help with any grammer etc:) I've a few friends across the ocean who have asked for my help with it so don't mind helping folks learn so long as they remember I'm not nit picking just helping with spelling:)

Thanks for the offer on html, though I do all my coding by hand or rather did. Thanks or no thanks to arthritus doing it "the old fashion way" is getting harder so I've been finally checking out various editors so I can update all my sites a bit faster then I have heh. My hubby, Sunlion, keeps recommending Frontpage, but I don't like all the security holes involved with it's extensions, so my hunt for a proper yet cheap prog goes on. Til then I'll keep hand coding my sites heh.

I'm differently abled (aka disabled though I try to avoid negatives:P) so try to keep myself busy creating web pages and of course working on art, since employers have a silly deal about wanting folks who have more then say 2 or 3 good days a week heh. So if anyone here needs a graphic or web page help don't hesitate to ask ok:) My health problems are sporatic though so please keep that in mind when requesting something lengthy to be done as I can't promice anything about deadlines or what not.

I can also do some basic ai work on games too, since picking it up when working with AOE games and SDK bots. I also love working in VRML for any 3d fans out there:) My current project in vrml btw is a memorial park for all the folks involved on the fateful 911, you can find the url for it on my home page's site map.

What ever works!
Post Thu May 09, 2002 11:46 am
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

Hand coding is the way to go!
Frontpage.. is evil! Dunno, maybe it's easy to use but the code it produces! Man, that's a mess. It doesn't even work in all browsers...
If you really want to switch to visual editing eventually, try Dreamweaver. It can be linked to Homesite, and doesn't touch your own code. But I only use Homesite anyway, so I don't have much experience with wysiwyg editors.

Back on topic, good luck on your journey and keep me/us updated!
Post Thu May 09, 2002 12:06 pm
entrails
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Blade is a blast from the past:)
The best of the three games...I played it on an amiga 600 its that old:)
Post Thu May 09, 2002 2:35 pm
Starshyne
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I totally agree about hand coding but like I said keeping over 200 pages updated with my sore hands has brought me around on thinking of trying the editors. I've read a few reviews on Homesite so plan on trying that out as soon as I can afford to:)

Yup Entrails, Blade came out in 1992:) Sunlion bought it for me on floppy disks for Yule that year as he knew how much I had enjoyed paper rpg so figured I'd like trying it out on pc.

What helped hook me on it though was there being also female charactors as until then all the games I had tried or heard of were always male. And to be honest playing male charactors isn't that much of a hassle except it's just cool to be able to play a wider range of folks and not just fluff. The gals in Blade aren't fluff at all and can do all the same things their counterparts can. My other fav about it is the mapping and puzzle solving. I tend to go bonkers making out maps, just ask my teens lol, but hey they help the game on future playing and being an artist of course helps me make them look cool too:)

Ok so I'm hooked on Blade and more then likely always will be. It has just about everything possible in it even with the now outdated tech. I'm also still a sucker for FF1 (Final Fantasy 1) too btw:) The current crpgs to me seem to be more like watching a movie short then a rpg but course that's just my opinion. Give this gal more games where you build skill, map, and puzzle solve any day, if I wanted to watch my charactors do their thing rather then help build them I'll rent a movie heh:)

What ever works!
Post Thu May 09, 2002 11:57 pm
Meistet_Dragosch

Perhaps my nick name even remembers some of you about an NPC in the game......
It was a dwarf named Meister Dramosch in Thorwal.
I just wanted to tell you you're not alone as I really like the trilogy too. My favourite title was number two which gave you most freedom I suppose.
Unfortunately I've win2k installed and therefore am pretty unable to play any of them apart from number 3 but I've only finished it recently so I won't play it again in the near future.
Good to know there are some folks out there who also play these very nice games even if they are a little bit old nowadays.
Post Thu May 30, 2002 7:48 am

TheRaven
Village Leader
Village Leader

is there no way of running of Realms of Arkania 2 on WINme?
does it work on WIN2000 ??
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 2:12 pm
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

No way that I'm aware of. The first two parts definitely don't run under win2000/xp, though I forgot the exact reason. Probably some problem with EMS memory.
The third part runs... until you want to go out of the first temple, then it crashes.

My advise: Get Win98 if you really want to play RoA, otherwise w2k or xp. No matter what, at least anything other than WinME, which is supposedly the worst Windows ever.

Meow...
Arhu
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 2:20 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next