FFXI: RMT Countermeasures @ Official Site
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Inauro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

FFXI: RMT Countermeasures @ Official Site

The Final Fantasy XI Online development team have announced the termination of a number of accounts whose owners were involved in real money trading (RMT).<blockquote><em>RMT (Real Money Trading) is a growing problem for many online games, leading to artificially inflated item prices and adversely affecting in-game economies. <br> <br>A number of accounts were recently terminated following an investigation by the FINAL FANTASY XI development team into RMT activities. Click <a href="http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/information/060209.html" target="_blank">here</a> for details.</em></blockquote>
Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:50 am
Kepler
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

How does RMT artificially inflate in game economies in a free market system?

The free market system preaches supply and demand and no intervention.
Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:53 am
Wildefire
General Goods Vendor
General Goods Vendor

quote:
Originally posted by Kepler
How does RMT artificially inflate in game economies in a free market system?

The free market system preaches supply and demand and no intervention.

I also wonder about this. The money doesn't just come out of thin air... farmers (usually) acquire their gold as a result of tireless work obtaining the gold like any other player would. The GAME adds the money into the economy. The reseller just shifts that money around. Even if they used duping methods, it seems likely that one of two things would happen: 1) The secret gets out, everyone starts doing it, and the bug gets fixed. 2) A sole gold farmer (or a very small group of tight-mouthed ones) maintain the secret, cutting the amount of work they have to do... but the gold is still only going to enter the game economy when players choose to pay for it.

I do oppose professional gold farmers, but it's almost completely because I don't like having to compete against professional farmers in contested areas when I'm just trying to play, and I get annoyed by all the spam they tend to create in general chat channels. I've no intention of ever buying in-game items personally (if the game required that I do such a thing in order to achieve my goals, I'd just move on), but I know people who like having that convenience... to each her own.
Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:25 am