Curious about plugins
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Curious about plugins

Are there any full modules that have been created like the ones that have been made for Neverwinter? I see lots of plugins to modify the original game but no new games?
Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:39 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, technically "yes", but in reality "no"! ;D

While it is theoretically possible to make a whole new world, it's not generally done as it's so much work - I don't know of anyone who's done this. Morrowind is designed in a very different way to NWN - mod developers are not intended to create whole new worlds, but to extend the available one.

That said, there are plugins that create whole new landmasses - new islands or even whole continents, so it really depends on your definition of "new"!
Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:02 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

If we will talk about official two add-ons (and they are really plugins), they are very close to it.
Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:50 pm
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Plugins

I was thinking of getting the game but mostly because I am interested in making plugins. If there aren't very many that make new areas or worlds maybe it's really hard? Perhaps I should fire up neverwinter? Just curious.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:17 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hrm, well NWN and Morrowind are very different animals. While Morrowind is a full 3D environment (internal areas) and a 3D terrain engine (external areas), NWN is a top-down pseudo-3D engine, similar to the original Dungeon Keeper (but with better graphics!). It's kind of like the difference between Doom and Quake as regards the engines - in Doom you couldn't overlap sectors as they existed in 2D with height information as opposed to existing in 3D. NWN maps are basically flat areas that you fill with content, whereas Morrowind areas are 3D spaces that you fill with content. Morrowind you can play in first-person or with a third-person "chase cam", NWN fixes the player above the action looking down on it. It's a big difference, and one that makes Morrowind a more demanding game both on the hardware and on the mod developers.

I must stress that there aren't lots of new areas not because "it's hard", but because that's not the way it works. You don't create whole new areas in Morrowind, you attach them to the existing universe. It's just a different approach, nothing more.

You can create a huge island, with dungeons littered all over the place, evil beasties lurking behind trees, and skeletal hordes rampaging over the landscape, but that island needs to be placed somewhere on the same overhead map that the original island exists on - you can put it a very long way away if you like. In fact, there's nothing to stop you teleporting the player into a labrynth of rooms of your own devising that they can't get out of, but it's still added material to the original game. Depending how you treat it, the difference can be purely semantic. In general people don't do this, because there are so many more possibilities and interconnections when you place your new town or dungeon inside the universe created by Bethesda.

I can't say anything about the gameplay of NWN as I don't play it, but I believe it is very good. Also, NWN has more expansions on the way and (I believe) a more active community. Having mapped and scripted in both, I will stick my neck out and say that NWN is much easier to create content for, but the "feel" is less organic and more sterile.

Wow, that was a long post. Hope it helps!
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:24 pm
Strogannov
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

oh there are a lot of upcoming mods that add a new storyline and landmasses to morrowind.
there is Children of the Night 1 and 2 (the first episode is a small intro and takes place on the original island while the second part takes place both on the original landmass and added islands) and there is a third episode coming up featuring compeltely new tilesets and buildings and huge wars... check it out at www.con3.co.uk

There is also Tamriel Rebuilt which tries to add the rest of Morrowind (morrowind takes place on the great island in the center of the province of morrowind, but a lot of the famous cities of morrowind visited in previous Elderscroll games took place around the island... the city of Blacklight, Silgrads Tower, Ebonheart (which was originally off the Island on the mainland) ect...) http://rpgplanet.com/morrowind%5Ctamriel/
be sure to take a look at their project map to understand the massive undertaking this project is (about 3 times the entire island)

The Sea of destiny is another great project building new immense islands in the Sea of destiny http://www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/sodp/

The Wizard's Islands is another brilliant mod which was creating snowy landscapes and ice-covered mountains before Bloodmoon was even announced. The Armor, weapons, creatures and locations they are creating totally from scratch is a true work of art (a gigantic gothic cathedral to name something) http://www.wizards-islands.com/

there is also the fabled Middle Earth mod which will recreate the entire Lord of the rings universe (allbeit with a different storyline) but the creators are keeping this project very silent, but the few screens that have been launched show that great work is going into it http://mods.moddb.com/1568/

the original island will always be maintained.
but with these mods you'll be so busy finding your way through the all new designs you won't even think of returning to that small town of Vivec
Post Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:58 am