What's up with the meager graphics?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeon Siege

Author Thread
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Llama,

thansk for info, I was sure that screenshots form GF3 was same as my with GF2 (if you look on comparation of screenshots with GF3 and GF2 in Morrowind, you will see huge difference).

I think that GF4 uses all 8.1 features, GF3 only some 8 features, but I am not sure.
Post Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:22 pm
TheSmJ
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, in that case, is there any possibility that these features will be added? I realise that even the possibility of this is far off, but as I said before, this IS a Microsoft produced game, you would expect them to push next-gen cards/graphics as much as possible.

P.S.

The GeForce 4 (TI) fully supports 8.1. In fact it was made to compete with the ATI Radeon 8500, who is now prepairing for DX9, and should be released Septemerish...
Post Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:16 pm
Nigel

Prehaps an afterthought and fix to your crappy graphics

Yeh sorry.

Um if you think there is something crap about your graphics... there are these probable situations:

You are fucking blind
OR
Your graphics settings are turned down on a wide scale.... e.g. you used GeforceTweaker or a similar program to use "fast" mode... i tried it and i get another 10 fps.. BUT THE GRAPHICS ARE SHIT AS ALL THINGS CRAP.

everything is washed as if it is laundry day and dungeon siege went in for a swim.

so get GeforceTweakUtility and use "direct3d quality" setting. if you think they are still crap after that.... look elsewhere for your problem... like a new video card.
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 3:01 am

Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

To run in higher resolutions in Dungeon Siege edit your system_details.gas file
add a
[1280x1024] { max_back_buffers = 2; }

line or the res u want to the appropriate [resolutions] section... then use the
DSVideoConfig.exe to select it as your resolution...
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 3:44 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

umm i use a GeForce2 and played that game halfway through and the graphics look pretty good. not as good as morrowind, but still pretty good considering i have an outdated video card on a p3 800 mhz system...
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 3:47 am
Arms Of Dirt
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

According to info I'd read somewhere about the graphics... They are NOT making specific Direct X 8.1 graphics calls for Dungeon Siege... so I do not believe that the differences you are seeing are the result of non 8.1 compliant cards... I have run the game on machines with a G-force 1 in it... On my G force 2's... and on one with my older 3DFX 4500 ... in addition to my G-force 3... and none of them look bad... or lack bump mapping... (which has been around since the days of the Matrox G-400) Nor are there any pixel shading differences that I could see on any machine... Trilinear filtering can make a difference... as can 'forced' anti-alias settings... (the game itself does make use of it automatically... but I can't say what results you'd get if you forced anti-alias mode in Windows prior to launch) Without seeing a screen shot of the 'bad' textures, I can't say for sure what is causing the problem you are experiencing... I do know that Dungeon Siege's graphics are excellent... not necessarily due to the textures... but due to the many meshes used for trees... and the rounded surfaces... Most other graphics engines would choke on pushing that many polys... (though admittedly, there are some stuttering moments in the game) But the Siege Engine was designed with that kind of 'organic' graphics feeling in mind... In playing the game... (and in having designed many a CTF level for Unreal Tournament) I can say that the textures are not substantially 'better' than I've seen elsewhere... but the overall graphics package is much better in terms of implementation in DS than I've ever seen...

Arms Of Dirt
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 4:21 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Re: Prehaps an afterthought and fix to your crappy graphics

quote:
Originally posted by Nigel
Yeh sorry.

Um if you think there is something crap about your graphics... there are these probable situations:

You are fucking blind
OR
Your graphics settings are turned down on a wide scale.... e.g. you used GeforceTweaker or a similar program to use "fast" mode... i tried it and i get another 10 fps.. BUT THE GRAPHICS ARE SHIT AS ALL THINGS CRAP.

everything is washed as if it is laundry day and dungeon siege went in for a swim.

so get GeforceTweakUtility and use "direct3d quality" setting. if you think they are still crap after that.... look elsewhere for your problem... like a new video card.

Nigel what about try it somehow else? Without words crap, shit etc. behind every second word?

Thanks
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 6:47 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
The GeForce 4 (TI) fully supports 8.1. In fact it was made to compete with the ATI Radeon 8500

No, all the GeForce 3/4 Ti cards have only DX 8 compliant. They have drivers that work under DX 8.1 but the cards do not support DX 8.1 technology, which is just slightly quicker T&L processing.

The Radeon 8500 series is the only series of cards on the market that have full DX 8.1 functionality right now.

Also, some food for thought...

Microsoft is using the 8500's chip engine to create DX 9.0, when 9.0 is released, and the new batch of video cards hit the market, anyone with a 8500 will not be forced to upgrade to follow the new technology changes. The 8500 will be able to be "patched" to have near full DX 9.0 for those not ready to upgrade right away.

The Radeon's aren't the fastest cards on the market, but they are the most advanced when it comes to visual quality and performance under high stress games.
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:31 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Well it seems, that it is nice card that Radeon 8500. Thanks for info Llama, I will surely use it when I will upgrade my current GForce2 GTS (if I will upgrade it).

BTW what card are you using?
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:34 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

Radeon 8500LE
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:35 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

BTW: Don't think I'm some advocate for ATi, because I'll be the first person to admit the GeForce 4 Ti cards are faster in terms of pure speed.

But, IMO the difference between 212 fps in Quake 3 (GeForce 4) and 185 fps in Quake 3 (Radeon 8500 cards) is so moot you can't even tell the difference.

I play with anisotropic filtering which unblurs all the objects as they get closer to you and removes some of the jagged edges (basically backwards AA), on the Radeon cards the performance hit is 7%, on the G4 cards it's anywhere between 65%-55% hit. No joke.

The cards are very difference one is uber fast and one is quick with great technology for making games just look better.
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:39 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Why this smilie?
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:40 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

Cause it was "evil", didn't pay attention to it, was thinking it was a devilish grin.
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:46 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I thought you are not satisfied with your card .
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:49 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

Nope, very satisfied, and I can't wait to get Morrowind and start running it with AF on.
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:52 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next