Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
How's the game after 80 hours (if anyone is close to this)?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
iloveplywood

How's the game after 80 hours (if anyone is close to this)?

Everyone still having fun? I've seen some posts that the game is getting too easy, is that just in certain areas or does the main quest also get too easy if you spend time leveling before undertaking?

Not that it's a big concern as I doubt I'll be able to put 80 hours in any game, but I bet some people here have and I'm just curious. And for those that have put tons of time do you see yourself getting bored soon or is the game still growing on you?
Post Mon May 13, 2002 3:19 am

Fredric
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

This is my brother who also plays Morrowind who is posting:

Ive played the game about 50 hours or so if i had to guess how long ive been playing. the story is great, and my affection for the game has only grown during the 50 hours of play. Ask me again in 30 hours
Post Mon May 13, 2002 4:10 am
Wabbit

I'm sure I've put in at least 80 hours, probably more (it's been a pretty much nonstop Morrowind crusade over here since the game became available in my area) and I am still just loving the game, but I liked it from the beginning. I havn't even gotten that far in the game either, I think I just go slow and savor everything.

This is only including the game as shipped, not any mods or plug ins, OR messing around with the construction set itself. I don't want to do that til I've played the full game. However, I think there's a huge amount of play value in those areas as well, and if anyone has balance issues or believes the game is too easy I believe those things can be fixed as well.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 5:29 am

Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

MW is not 'easy', but players who say that just dont know what MW is. If you practice armor/sword skill alot, then yes, you are a mean killing machine. But that only makes FIGHTING easy, but it will leave you severely crippled in other area's.

I havent seen anyone claim they actually finished the main quest, just people who bumped their skills (often using cheesy tactics) and who then claim they do all 'normal' quests easily.

See for yourself, I am quite sure most of us will play this MUCH longer as 80 hours
Post Mon May 13, 2002 5:40 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

All in all, I am way over 80 hours - but not 80 hours into the plot. I tried different characters, different skills (I have to do a review, you know). Do I still like the game? Hell, yes - I LOVE it. There han't been a single day when I didn't discover something new or breathtaking (just yesterday, I stumbled over a dungeon near Seyda Neen I missed all those times before.

I am quite sure I will play this game for months.

And about those who claim the game is easy: if you decide to do a killing machine, as Mephisto said, the game is easy in combat. You rush in and kill kill kill - but you miss a lot then, yes. But hey, bullies always miss a lot *g*
Post Mon May 13, 2002 6:00 am
Uruz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I've done everything legit and I can say, with my character at level 32, the quests aren't all that hard. I can clear out 3 Dwemer ruins/Daedric shrines in a single trip(providing I can carry everything) and go back for repair with half my HP left. I do have some skill gaps, but few for the role I play.
Mind you I have my own enchanted weapons that steal health from my victims that are good for 300 HP combined before they run out of charge...
I am half-stuck in the main quest though, as it takes some thinking as opposed to just mass slaughtering.

Here's my current status:
http://insaneca.homestead.com/files/SS/complete.jpg

Amazing game though, the plot is very involving and quite in-depth. I have probably put in 40 hours or so and I am still addicted as ever.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 6:05 am
Glass

Still going strong...

Luckily, I managed to create my first character _exactly_ how I like to play, without any of the usual "create a character, experiment, create another character, rinse and repeat" cycle that usually accompanies RPGs like this. So, I've been able to dive into the game pretty aggressively. I'm now pushing level 46, and yeah, combat orientated quests are incredibly easy. Or at least they were. I could drop a golden saint in mere seconds while defending against two dremora lords, then turn around and do the same to the dremora lords. I blazed through the main quest (not to say that I didn't take time to enjoy the story, I just blasted through all the dungeons I got sent to), and for a moment, I wondered, ok... now what?

Then I started fiddling around with the editor. Now, battles with dremora lords are risky at best, and golden saints... heh, well, let's just say they demand my full attention.

So, right now I'm working on acquiring a full set of enchanted daedric equipment (already have most of each of the weapons. BTW, the dai-katana is simply _sick_), and then going on the daedric shrine quests.

I've still got to do my Grandmaster's Writs in the Morag Tong, and I'm not sure if there's anything else for me to do in the Thieves' Guild (Anyone help me out on this?) now that I've taken it over, too. But we'll see. I might possibly try and find out a little more about some of the other factions, though that may be difficult as I've, er... disposed of some of their key leaders (Cammona what?). But no regrets there...

Once I finish/get tired of collecting my gear, I'm planning on finding the Aundae vampire clan and become one of those nasty outcast vampires. I'll terrorize the island a bit, then work fulltime on the vampire expansion mod I've got going (By the way, I'm looking for more dedicated artists, modelers, world builders, scripters, writers, whatever, for the development team, which is admittedly rather small at the moment. Send all inquiries to glass@evil1.com, or ICQ me at 57232122.).

And then there's that diplomatic mage type I've been thinking about making...

Time spent playing: 100+ hours easily.

And yeah, I still feel there's a lot to do, especially once everyone starts getting the hang of the construction set.

So, for those of you who've reached the point where nothing on the island challenges you, I'd highly recommend learning the ins and outs of the editor. That's probably the best thing about this game. You don't like something, change it.

Wonder what would happen if I cranked the golden saint's level up to 80...

Sorry if the format/grammar/spelling is horrid, or if I rambled, or whatever, but it's 3 AM, and my eyes hurt from staring at the screen and my right arm is beginning to cramp up from... uh... strenuous mouse activity. Yeah, that's it.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 6:49 am

Uruz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

How's this for a Daedric Dai-Katana...?
It's enchanted with Absorb Health 35 HP on strike and it has enough charge for around 40 hits in close succesion.

I called it, The Necronomecron
http://insaneca.homestead.com/files/SS/Necronomecron.jpg
Post Mon May 13, 2002 6:59 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

I unluckily choosed a Monk as my Character, ending me up with a world of problems.
(HtH is very inneffective for anything other than bar-brawls, if you didnt knew, and Unarmored just isnt as effective as the jolly-good-armor you can find).
Instead of giving up thou, I am pressing forward with what I have. I am able to defeat anything I can encounter, but it takes time and sometimes tactical strategies to get past some opponents. I have played the game for 12h per day, 16h on weekends, for over a week now, and damn I am excited of whats comming up.

I have joined at least three factions. I started with the Fighters Guild, then I joined the normal plot-guild (you know wich) and in the end the temple fit in for my character.
I have made about everything I can come up with before entering Vivec, and it is there everything points now. I have been exploring the wilderness alot and recently found some great ways to get rid of loot for a good reward, so now I am actually more interested in Loot than the plot

Im trying to find a good soulgem to enhance my extravagant gloves now, and I really hope that will give me some bonus when fighting HtH.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Mon May 13, 2002 7:19 am
iloveplywood

Good to see people enjoying the game so much. I'm definitely not a power gamer and since I try to role play I usually don't find the 'exploits' (at least that's how I rationalize never finding them).

Tweaking with the editor is an interesting idea. There will probably be mods out soon that jack up the difficulty levels for the video game gifted out there.

Oh well, back to studying. Actually, I bet I would waste less time if i let myself play the damn game instead of coming to the forum for 'fifteen minute' breaks.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 8:31 am

Am i playing a totaly differant game then you people? The game is not exactly boring but neither fun for me.I have completed the main plot im Arch-Mage, Knight of the dragon, and grandmaster of one of the houses. I started off by doing side quests which was horrible for me at first. IMO the walking speed is insanely slow. Also all the quests seem to be basicly the same thing.The first couple of quest are near you and can involve differant solutions but as you move up in rank and gain more quests they never have been harder just insanely further away.There is no point even to gain rank in the guilds IMO because nothing happens but a title change. Good grief im the top guy in the imperial legion and the guards still tell me to move along.The stronghold you get is horrible in my opinion i was with the house that starts with a h sorry i cant spell it. But i did enjoy the main plot after awhile but when i completed the main quest and you get the speech to continue and fight on i saw really no point.

Dont get me wrong im not saying the game sucks or anything but for me i see no point in playing it after the main plot.The quest are not that challenging guilds offer no real reward for achieving highest standing.(it would have been realy nice if it really ment something)People talk about diving for pearls and other things but thats interesting for 10 minutes for me and then it gets boring. The game is also easy in my opinion i used no bugs or exploits. After traveling what seems like a million miles for fed-ex quests and 400 cliff raptors later duh some of your combat skills are going to go up you dont have to be a power gamer.

Morrowind at this point has me feeling empty and unfulfilling just like the NPC's. I cant put my finger on exactly why but IMO gothic was more fun and funfilling even though i had a few problems with that game as well.Thats my 2 cents not that it matters.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 9:19 am

Jinx
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I'm over 80 hours in total. I started out with a spellsword and got somewhat bored of it after 45 hours of gameplay, so I made an assassin and I'm having fun again although I really regret some of my major and minor skills I'm not starting over again this time (played around 40-50 hours with the new char).
Post Mon May 13, 2002 11:38 am
Exposed Luker

::yawn::

I agree with the one posted above me. I've played about 48 +/- hours and it's getting really very, very boring for me. I quess, that's mainly because of the very poor NPC's(i prefer singleplayer RPG's with well drawn NPC's - that's why i loved PS - Torment for example). Actually i find myself much more playing around with the CS(very impressive and powerful indeed) than playing the game which i probably won't finish. Personally i would prefer a linear, heavy scripted RPG with an excellent plot anytime over a non-linear pseudo MMORPG(btw. I also didn't like UO very much).
Post Mon May 13, 2002 12:04 pm

iloveplywood

Ah, that's disappointing to hear. To those that did get bored did you use any exploits? Example, did you use the editor to put more gold in the world so that you could sell your more powerful stuff? I could see how that would completely unbalance the game. Of course, it's probably wishful thinking on my part that those that got bored used an exploit, but since I already bought the game I can hope.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 4:32 pm

Jinx
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Re: ::yawn::

quote:
Originally posted by Exposed Luker
I agree with the one posted above me. I've played about 48 +/- hours and it's getting really very, very boring for me. I quess, that's mainly because of the very poor NPC's(i prefer singleplayer RPG's with well drawn NPC's - that's why i loved PS - Torment for example). Actually i find myself much more playing around with the CS(very impressive and powerful indeed) than playing the game which i probably won't finish. Personally i would prefer a linear, heavy scripted RPG with an excellent plot anytime over a non-linear pseudo MMORPG(btw. I also didn't like UO very much).

I think you misunderstood me a bit
I'm loving this game so much now. All it took was another char.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 5:01 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next