Juggernauts!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Archaven
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Juggernauts!!

Woohoo!. *sweating* ... wow .. i restart the battle for almost 5 times till i finally (luckily) kill 5 of those super beast(Lvl. 10 Juggernauts) with my lvl. 9/10 party in the Arnika road. Damn this is the most satisfying(or should i say the most toughest) battle i've ever met!. Each with 260++ HP, 3x attack and ALWAYS immune to my sleep/paralyze spells.
Really I should say that Guardian Angel really saves my a$$ ;p. I know that you guys might say that they are pretty weak (you guys won so many times already!), but consider me with just 6 members party with all lvl. 9/10 only. It wont be so tough if i could find a spot to only fit 1 juggernauts at the same time battling each. Too bad there's no such spot
in the Arnika-Trynton road . Just to let you guys know that it's quite satisying here for me to won this battle. At first I thought of coming up to the board to ask for help. Thank god I finally clear them out. At first I didn't know that Guardian Angel comes really handy. I was too desperate that i have to try anything ;p. One thing that i regretted about my party
was the Samurai. His attack are darn weak!!. Always misses out and the max he could deal is just 9HP!!. And not to mention he hardly even perform his LS. The only thanks goes to my 1 and only 1 Fighter. Berserk together with superman. Wow!. Imagine the destruction
Post Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:14 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Well done!

There are a few "funnels" on the Arnika/Trynton Road, but not nearly as many as you'd like, and those aren't really put in the right places.

I don't care for samurai either, but they do get better at higher levels.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:57 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Archhaven, I've only played a little, but I got hit multiple times by those besties on the road. There are a number of 'nooks' in the hillside, that you can use to position the party so that only 2 quadrants come under attack at anytime.

Those beasties ARE tough. I finally found a use for fatigue potions fighting them ... the battles just go on and on, and at the end the party is bloody, dripping, sweaty mess.

Very satisfying *grin*.
Post Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:19 pm
otter
One of Us

Stay off the road, as far up the hills as you can get, and you can avoid almost all the patrolling mobs in AR/A-TR and even NWild.
Funny way i go, i only use the little bit of A-TR between the Cem and Trynton, or between the house and Arnika. But in earlier games, i, too was disappointed with the paucity of funnels. (esp after all the nice ones on the other roads...)
Post Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:22 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well we have different parties and are a little different places in the game...

But at this point, between my bards insanity horn and my gadgeteers hypnotic lure lava lamp... Those items are both down near trynton.
The monsters dont stand a chance. Im also set on hard and had great struggles getting to this point... but my guys just mow through the monsters no problem now.
I have to reload when they get to my mages 35 hit points. Shes sort of pitiful in that way.
Post Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:56 am
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

Do not bash the samurai so hard! You just have to train them right. My female samurai was my killing machine, beating out a monk, ninja, valkyrie and gadgie (who was trained as a fighter-type - and was using a blade cuisinart in the end!).

HOW TO TRAIN SAMURAIS TO BE ALL THEY CAN BE
1) Dual weapons, both swords. Samurais are the best swordsmen in the game, so use it to your advantage. This will speed up your sword skill development, since they're using it twice as often. Instead of putting points into "sword", use those points for dual weapons. Either sword may lightning strike in a round (I never had them do it in the same round).
2) Other people here have linked the "critical strike" skill to lightning strike. I can neither confirm nor deny it, but pump up the critical strike anyway. Samurais do get critical hits like ninjas and monks, although not as frequently in my experience. [See other threads here for suggestions on how to develop critical hit abilities. In developing my samurai, I just focused on critical strike.]
3) Don't focus on the magic early on. Samurais use the mage spellbook, which is primarily offensive in nature. Your samurai is too busy swinging his swords (note the plural) for him to be concerned about spellcasting. Once your party hits level 12 or so, the balance will be shifted heavily in your party's favor, and then you can focus him on casting instead of fighting. For level 1 spells, give him light (for practice casting out of combat) & terror (just in case). For level 2 spells, take detect secrets, enchanted blade & missile shield - all good casting practice out of combat. Once the game is easier on you, you can go for the offenive spells (energy blast, frost... fireball, whipping rock... iceball, element shield....)

Funny footnote: I named my samurai Lucy in honor of a song from the 80s containg the line, "Sweet Lucy was a dancer, But none of us would chance her, Because she was a samurai. She made electric shadows, Beyond her fingertips...." Too appropriate to pass up in my opinion. Kudos to anyone who name the band and the song.
Post Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:37 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Must have been Deep Purple, but I forgot the name of the song.
Post Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:41 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
Must have been Deep Purple, but I forgot the name of the song.
Correct. Off the Perfect Strangers album. (Not Perfect Strangers though.)
Post Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:50 pm
otter
One of Us

More than 3/4 of my wins have had a Sam. My favorite thing has been changing to Sam after anywhere from 8 to 14 Bard levels (and a Stealth level). I use a Hobbit for this, and qualify her in everything but Int (you can get the Int in the game) for Sam upon creation. She's the Haste, PP and sometimes also L&T. I switch at 8 if there's a lot more magic in the party, with Music pumped to 75 or so, she won't abuse the Drums...One of the best weapons in the game is for Sams, and a very nice off-hander, too, and like Bilbo posted, the Sword bonus is really nice for this. And another reason i switch at all is that Bards can't wear Infy Helms.
B
A
R
D
S
T
U
F
F
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
You can reload the battles with the bandits in the Upper Monastery (Phoony room and the little private office) until they drop you Prospero's Cloak (MUST have) and Mercutio's Blade. Usually takes about 4 tries for each item.
Post Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:23 pm
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Re: Juggernauts!!

Yeah, those Juggernauts drove me insane. Even on the difficulty level novice, they always kicked my a$$ because my fighters never hit them. The only thing hitting them were my mages with Fireballs, but that's not enough. That's why I never go south towards Trynton early in the game. I always head back north, after Arnika, to the Umpani base, gather some more money and experience, then visit Bela a few times to equip my fighters with Dread Spears... Damn, don't you guys love that spear?!?!?! Keep your fights on beserk mode thereafter and watch them ripping 40 to 50 points per attack! WOOHOO!!! BRING IT OOOOONNN!!!!!!
Post Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:05 pm
otter
One of Us

If you leave the Monastery at L5 and then take whatever levels you have saved XP for, there won't be Juggernauts. The Monastery is easy to finish if you stay at L5, and you're likely to have XP for 1-3 levels. The Spawns for AR will then be set for L5 (no Juggernauts); as long as you don't sleep, the most you'll get is a bunch of plants or some Roustabouts. If you go just after Midnight, you may only meet the pair of Wasps. (except the Bandits in the cul-de-sac--they're always the same)
Post Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:09 pm