Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Good GOD!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

I swear, I almost cried when I took the game back to the store today, but it frustrated the hell out of me.

I love the premise of the game. I love the freedom. And the fact that EVERYONE has a voice, and lives a little simulated life is just too cool. But!

The interface killed me. I'm not a WASD jock. But I do like being able to use my mouse as nature intended. I mean, k'mon. Who DOESN'T use the mouse in this day and age? Especially in an RPG. Yeah, I know, there's SOME rudimentary mouse support, but it feels unnatural.

I've got countless hours of playing 3D melee games, such as Oni and Drakan. Hell, I was one of the best Drakan multiplayer fighters back in the day. But... AGH! Compared to those two games, Gothic's controls feel wooden. I could barely survive the assault by three mole rats, for chrissake!

And then, bugs. I got stuck after playing a cutscene. Mud initiated a conversation with me in the middle of a fight, and I got beat down by a digger. I got hung up THRICE while trying to follow a guy to the Sleeper Camp.

Why, why?!! This could've been a masterpiece on a par with Fallout almost, but...

*sigh*

Sorry, had to get it off my chest.
Post Wed Feb 20, 2002 12:03 am

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Mouse + ASDW feels unnatural?
The controls are similar to most shooters.
Instead of 2 combat options (LMB or RMB) you have 4 (LMB + ASDW).

Equip/Unequip, talk, climb, use, thrust, shoot, open, pick up
==> (ctrl or LMB) + forward

[ This Message was edited by: Gorath on 2002-02-19 18:15 ]
Post Wed Feb 20, 2002 12:09 am

Well, in all games, 3D shooters or melee, I use cursor keys to move back and forth and strafe, mouse to turn, aim and fire, right CTRL to duck, right SHIFT to jump, Enter to activate if required.

Now, in Gothic after I remapped the controls, the mouse buttons stopped responding entirely. Worse yet, my guy wouldn't strafe more than one step at a time, and the camera wiggles when he strafes, wazzupwiddat?! *sigh*

Plus, you can't trade with your mouse. You can't choose dialogue options with your mouse. You can't even pick crap up with your mouse. Yikes.

I wish someone released a massive patch that changes the interface entirely. Wishful thinking, I know.
Post Wed Feb 20, 2002 12:18 am

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:

On 2002-02-19 18:18, Anonymous wrote:
Well, in all games, 3D shooters or melee, I use cursor keys to move back and forth and strafe, mouse to turn, aim and fire, right CTRL to duck, right SHIFT to jump, Enter to activate if required.

Now, in Gothic after I remapped the controls, the mouse buttons stopped responding entirely. Worse yet, my guy wouldn't strafe more than one step at a time, and the camera wiggles when he strafes, wazzupwiddat?! *sigh*

Correct observations, as far as I remember after all these months.
Remapping seems to be buggy. I´m happy I´m used to using ASDW.
You are not meant to strafe in combat, you should have used circle-strafe instead. It works correctly.
quote:

Plus, you can't trade with your mouse. You can't choose dialogue options with your mouse. You can't even pick crap up with your mouse. Yikes.

All wrong.
You can trade 1 / 10 / 100 items with LMB + different directional keys. Pretty complicated, though.
Dialogs: LMB = enter, RMB = Esc, cursor moves up/down.
Pick up things: LMB + forward, like all the other trivial stuff.

quote:

I wish someone released a massive patch that changes the interface entirely. Wishful thinking, I know.

Of course. I guess they´ll slightly improve it for Gothic 2, but I doubt they´ll change it completely.
I like the interface, mainly because it´s extremely fast when you learned it. No wasted mouse clicks, autosorted inventory. Of course a matter of taste.
Post Wed Feb 20, 2002 12:38 am

Aye, you are correct about mouse clicks working for functions you described, but alas, remap the keys and lose the mouse.
Post Wed Feb 20, 2002 12:54 am

The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

It took me awhile to get used to the controls too, but I just stuck with it and had patience and eventually it was like second nature.
And I don't blame you for crying while taking the game back to the store, if I were you, I'd cry too. Gothic is an awesome game, despite some bugs and weird control scheme.
Post Wed Feb 20, 2002 1:11 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:

On 2002-02-19 19:11, The Hulk wrote:
Gothic is an awesome game, despite some bugs and weird control scheme.

The controls scheme is different, not weird. However, it was a terrible mistake not to deliver adequate documentaion and/or a tutorial.
Most parts of the control scheme are fast and simple, but they have to be learned because they are nonintuitive.
Post Wed Feb 20, 2002 1:19 am
CarnalSalvation
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

The controls didn't bother me that much. I'm a might and magic junkie so the keyboard controls seemed normal to me.
Post Wed Feb 20, 2002 2:08 am
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

I had no troubles at all, i remapped all keys that i needed, and everything worked just fine, and i used arrow keys for moving...eh even mouse worked fine

Post Wed Feb 20, 2002 2:56 am
Kayl
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well if you have problems with the controls, REMAP THEM! To do this, goto the options menu and continue toward the control keys option. Then when it shows the controls menu just simply press enter and press the key that you want to change the cammand to. Also when mud talked to you, just beat the retarded squrriel head to hell.

[ This Message was edited by: Kayl on 2002-02-20 23:57 ]
Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 5:55 am
Darnalak
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I think that was part of the person's problem, Kayl, after remapping he lost his mouse (known bug), happens on some systems. Most of us that left the keymappings alone (after the learning curve) had the most effective experience.

Darnalak,
The Necromancer
Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 2:02 pm
Olgerth Heidern
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Strangely, it varies from install to install. My first Gothic had the same problem as described by the anon dude, but I had to exchange it for another copy and reinstall it... First time I lost the mouse too, this time I remapped the controls and mouse is still alive and kicking.

We fight because we must.
Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 3:38 pm
Rainstorm
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I agree,I like the interface.
I do however hate the IE interface of IWD and PS:T where there's no way (I've seen) to buy 10 of an item without pressing it 10 times and pressing buy 10 times.
Even without the 10/100/click with Gothic it's smoother,just keep the left/right down and it'll count on fairly fast while just holding a couple of keys.
But like mentioned the interface should've been better explained...I'd even say the entire manual should've been better.(missing a thing like enter for breaking a spell is not really good)
But still it's PB's first game and it's a great one at that,so no major complaints...apart from Gothic2,3 and 4 should've been released by now...
Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 4:53 pm