Fable (XBox): E3 Impressions @ GameSpot
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Fable (XBox): E3 Impressions @ GameSpot

Legendary game designer Peter Molyneux is supervising the development of 'Fable' and GameSpot has some <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/fable/preview_6028417.html" target="_blanK">impressions</a> based on attending to an E3 demo event.
Post Sat May 17, 2003 2:13 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Once you select an assignment, you'll head out of the guild and make your way to the teleporter that will take you to your mission.

That ruined my desire to play this game.
Post Sat May 17, 2003 2:14 am
Siduri

Llama, I know exactly what you mean.

For those that do not understand what Llama means, contemplate the following scenario:

Frodo: I will go to Mordor, but I do not know the way.
Gandalf: <gestures with his hands and the young Hobbit vanishes>
Frodo: <Blinks and suddenly realizes what happened, tosses the ring into the fire>

The End.

Yawn.
Post Sat May 17, 2003 3:39 am

My post was cut off for some reason. It continues like this.

Frodo: I will go to Mordor, but I do not know the way.
Gandalf: (Gestures with his hands and the young Hobbit vanishes)
Frodo: (Blinks and realizes what has happened. Tosses the Ring into the Fire)

The End.
Post Sat May 17, 2003 3:42 am

yeesh
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Well, if the game plays like a three-line version of the LoTR trilogy, you have a very valid complaint. If, on the other hand, it's one of the most ambitious RPGs in terms of character development, NPC AI, and evolving game world, and you've decided not to play it because spirit shields and fireballs are ok with you but teleportation is just taking it too darn far, then you could be depriving yourself of a rare gaming experience for a pretty insignificant reason. But I guess we'll have to wait til it comes out to see if it's any good.
Post Sat May 17, 2003 4:29 am
TheFalseProphet

This preview makes me laughing.
Finally we learn something about what Fable is really going to be like.

>>You'll venture there to pick up assignments, which usually offer you at least two options<< + >>teleporter that will take you to your mission<<

There goes your open-endedness right out of the window:
- pick assignment - teleport - do mission - teleport back - look how people react - back to the guild - pcik assignment ...

>>one worded very specifically and at least one other that's a bit more vague <<

So you have the freedom to play evil? Yeah, but only if you choose to do so when you make your decision at the guild!

>>one of the cool mechanics involved in character interaction: gesturing<<

So you can learn gestures? Sounds fun... but as did teaching your creatures in B&W - and we all know how much fun that was.

Sorry, I don't want to bash that game too much since it's still far from finished, but somehow I expected something like this.
I always wondered how they would implement all those great sounding features, all this freedom, open-endedness, npc ai and so on.

Now things are getting clearer and it seems that your "freedom" is much more limited than we all thought.
I wouldnt wonder if you - once returned to town - could never ever return to those farmer boys you rescued and if "the town" mentioned in the preview was "the ONLY town" in the game with the only purpose to show some emotions based on the fame-rating of the hero.

I may be wrong (and hope some) but thats what this preview sounds like to me.
Post Sat May 17, 2003 10:00 am

Actually, there are a fair number of ways to be evil. There is more than 1 town, though I'm not sure how many. You can marry a woman in every town if you want, which will have an effect on your evilness. How you treat your wife will effect your evilness. How you treat all npcs in fact. You can walk into a town and smack people around or kill them if you want. You can walk into a bar and start a brawl, then step back and watch the patrons bash on each other.

The one gesture that Peter showed when I was there, was belching. You walk into a pub and there are a couple guys standing around belching loudly. You can ask one of them to teach you how. From then on, you can use that as a response during any conversation.

If you get married and then just go off and do quests for a long time, your wife(s) will be very upset when you return, because you haven't been around. When she starts yelling at you, you can belch in her face. Don't expect her to be happy with that response.

You can probably kill just about everyone you see, but I wouldn't recommend it. You would eventually end up with just a few vital npcs around and that would seriously limit your options. Typically, if you are evil, you will only want to smack people around a bit and leave them alive, since you never know if they might come in handy later.

Hope that answers a few of your concerns.

Baff
Post Sat May 17, 2003 9:04 pm