Gothic made me hate World of Warcraft
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Rubix³
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Gothic made me hate World of Warcraft

I had a very sad and cumbersome night last night. Something dawned on me when I hit lvl18 in WoW. I stopped liking it.

Put simply, I feel like I'm starting over every time I get strong. The monsters seem to get EQUALLY stronger alongside my character. ie: I'll get good on area A, and when it's time to move to area B, the monsters on area B are as hard to me as they were on area A when I was first weaker. Since I have this feeling, playing the game felt more like work. It progressed (in my mind) like this:

I'm average, I'm average, I'm average, I'm average - I'm good! - Move on - I'm average again, I'm average again, I'm average again.
-and so forth

Also, I started to hate this game later on because I didn't feel it had any heart, so much as an online progressive shooting factory. In Gothic, you could have a lousy character with a lousy bow, yet you could still (sometimes) find your way onto a ridge and possibly take out a high level monster. This fantastic tactic (I assume) is nearly impossible throughout WoW. In Gothic you could be out at night in a forest, and a shadowbeast might see you and stalk you for 2 minutes before he ever attacks. I use these only as an example of what I believe to make a perfect game with truly earned character development - not throwing yourself into a match of who's strength goes down quicker (which was most always my case).

And this is only the "killing" comparison of the games. I'm not even going to compare the NPC interaction between the games. The missions were just cranked out in WoW. Weak. In Gothic they are satisfying.

This is all my opinion, I don't say this to sway anyone else's thoughts. There's probably something I totally missed throughout this game. It's strange too - cause I was REALLY hot for it in the beginning. I wish I could shake it... I've already uninstalled and cancelled my acct.

Maybe it was WoW, maybe it's MMORPGs in general that don't agree with me. I know I had a hard time cancelling my acct. last night - it felt sad, literally. I had put a decent amount of time into my character, and he was pretty good. But Gothic has raised the bar when it comes to RPGs. WoW will never ever fare in my world while Gothic is around.

Gothic forever.

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:05 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Amen, brother...
Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:35 am
Drake5
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

That's what happens when you play the best and try to go back to the rest.
But, with time, and maybe some therapy, you'll be able to come back to the World of Average Gaming.
Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:28 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm sorry to say that I agree. After playing the Gothic games, where the world has a certain "feeling", all other games simply feel empty in comparison.
Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:41 pm
Rubix³
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Yes... Yes. You're all correct.

quote:
Originally posted by Drake5
That's what happens when you play the best and try to go back to the rest.
But, with time, and maybe some therapy, you'll be able to come back to the World of Average Gaming.

I started my therapy yesterday. I've been diagnosed with PTGS - "Post Traumatic Gothic Syndrome." I've been put on a heavy dose of FF7 to remind me of the RPG purpose, Fallout 2 to let me know that "Hey - if something could be that good then, it will be good again," and Morrowind to give me hope of Gothic 3 and to remind me me "there will never be a substitute." He hopes to "keep me real."

My therapist was very concerned when I came into his office carrying (what I believed to be) a King's Sorrel that I found near the rock formation in front of his building. Turns out - HE claims - it was only a ditch plant. I kept it anyway... he's probably lying. It's ok, because after I paid him I kicked his ass and took my money back.
Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:56 pm
Rangehurts
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hey. im new on rpgdot.
I never knew there might be people who likes Gothic a lot. YES!!!!! i finally found you guys!!! PEOPLE WHO LIKES GOTHIC!!!
Gothic was my first RPG i played. IT TOOK MY HEART FOREVER.
I know WoW is a great game, i know lots of ppl like. And like it myself too.

But nothing, i repeat NOTHING can beat Gothic. I bet everyone noticed that game DOES have feelings. I dont care if its on ionternet or not, NPCs are like real people.

I guess no one here would ever blame me for saying: GOTHIC IS BETTER THEN OTHER GAMES!!!
Post Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:08 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

It certainly is, and it's got a lot of fans by now. I don't know anyone who has actually given it a real try, and disliked it. It's just not possible. The game is simply too good!
Post Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:55 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

The problem is, you're comparing apples to oranges

These are totally different games, WoW and Gothic, and have completely different balance issues. Gothic is a very good single player game, note the word single. Your actions in Gothic do not interfere with the actions of other players, because there are none. In online game, the ugly word "balancing" pops out, which affects it. Shooting some mobs from some perch while mobs can't hit you sounds logical, but in online game it would give to some people into unfair advantage over the others. Also, in online game you need to have the progress, so the mobs get stronger in different areas, while you get stronger too. Imagine in WoW if every mob in the world would be as weak as the mobs in Elwynn Fores - would there be a point playing the game then at all? Where's the challenge then? What would these thousands of players per server do? Not to mention, when you head back now through these newbie areas at your level, you are stronger then the mobs there, aren't you Just like in Gothic, where wolves at first killed you easily and later you could kill them just by sneezing at them.

As for reality and liveliness, then this is not possible in online games to the degree as it can be done in offline games, simply because it will create extra load and lag and affects playability directly.

And yeah, I also am in WoW, lvl 42 human paladin here.
Post Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:52 am
Rangehurts
High Emperor
High Emperor

You are right and you are wrong....
Yes, it is two different games but....
WoW is the ONE OF THE BEST MMOPRPGs evry known (imo) and lots of people would play it no matter what (even for $15/month).
We all saying that Gothic (simple RPG) made us hate a good game.
I think its much more fun to play MMORPGs where you can chat and trade with people...
But Gothic changed it all....
Post Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:32 pm
Rubix³
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Whailor
The problem is, you're comparing apples to oranges

I totally hear you, and I kept that all in mind. And you're right. There's still a feeling though that comes with players like me when (put simply) I'm playing a game with a similar interface, and (let's be honest) similar goals in story and even more similar in combat. ie: Combat - Although in essence they play "the same" from a viewers point of view, in WoW you're following a routine; lure and attack. That feels crude to me, despite the differences in genre.

Someone who's never played a game before would probably look at Gothic and WoW and say "They're exactly the same!" From their standpoint, the games will have to live up to a standard of free will (within gameplay) and quality of kill technique.

One reason I lose this argument though, is because of the online capabilities. There are people who think the "co-op" part of online play alleviates for any "missing from gothic" gameplay. I liked meeting people online in WoW - but the effect of a game is so much greater on me when: I have no idea where I am, there's no one around, I'm in a forest, and I don't want to check my map at this instant because I don't want to put my bow away for fear of a growling I think I'm hearing. - The games are so different, but anytime I'm playing a third person game with bows and swords, I'll always subconsciously compare it to Gothic.
Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:53 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I take out creatures way stronger than me all the time in WoW, it just takes a bit more tactics and resourcefulness. Oh yeah, and a killer pet ='.'=

I love it!

I'm not implying that youre not using tactics yourself, or being resourceful, so please dont get me wrong. To take out considerably more powerful creatures takes quite a bit more time and precise timing, patience, knowledge of the refresh times and how to chain them appropriately, and good old fashioned planning. I know my sig says I dont have time for patience, but I make time when it means death =]

Otherwise yes, you can get stuck mowing down 1000 comparable creatures to thyself, especially if you are a lone wolf type player as I often am. Sure, its'quite gratifying to take down a creature 2 or 3 levels higher, or tame a pet that almost kills you because he's equal in levels to you. I love it, it's a total challenge. I love Gothic too, but like the previous poster said, they are actually a bit different, even to us lone wolves.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:25 am
Rubix³
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
I take out creatures way stronger than me all the time in WoW, it just takes a bit more tactics and resourcefulness. Oh yeah, and a killer pet ='.'=

I love it!

I'm not implying that youre not using tactics yourself, or being resourceful, so please dont get me wrong. To take out considerably more powerful creatures takes quite a bit more time and precise timing, patience, knowledge of the refresh times and how to chain them appropriately, and good old fashioned planning. I know my sig says I dont have time for patience, but I make time when it means death =]

Unfortunately, tactics were pretty much impossible with my warrior. Anything I attacked charged me every time. Also, warriors couldn't get pets.

Gothic has the same requirements at times for all the virtues you listed. And you're able to kill creatures 5-8 levels higher than you. =)
Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:20 am
Foxman
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

When you travel the world of gothic, you are in a different world, the world, where you climb up to a mountain, see the towers of the castle and xsardas in the sunrise, see the village bellow and you can feel the life going on there. This is the game that bringed me to RPG-s and also ruened other RPG-s for me. But there is a little good and different in all the games.
In Arx there is spellcasting that I liked, it was harder but it was more exiteing then just bushing the button.
In Morrowind there was liberty to do whatever you wanted and there was always some dungeon to discover.
The WoW is good oportunity to try this with or against other players, it`s not that good, I agree, but I think it`s just a beginning. Just wait, they`ll get better.

GOTHIC FOREVER
Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:50 am