Author Thread
Ric

game

this game is buzing
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:03 pm

Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Do you know if this mmorpg is targetted more to europe than the us? Its a france-based company, so naturally i am thinking its more of a european game. there are so many mmorpgs coming out its not funny, but hardly any are european specific. just wondering...
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:55 am
Lanael
City Guard
City Guard

I don't think it will be european specific : devellopers and producers have no interest in making a european-only game... ( Maybe it's true for asian stuffs because there's YET some big differences beetween asian cultures and european and american ones. )

IMO, the most important thing is where the game is being developped :
if it's from US we can expect american-culture references
if it's from europe we can see this good blend between the "old europe" (!)culture and US one... ( something really rare but really interresting in any media : french movie "Dobermann" someone ?! )

Anyway, this game looks awesome : they have a great engine...
Wait and see.
Post Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:09 am
Grendel

Bah - EQ with weather...

Prove me wrong - please do... I'd SO love to see a proper RPG online...

But from what I see so far, it's standard formula ALL the way, just with beefed up graphics and a weather system. Does not a new game make, people.

*sob* when will the industry spit out something original??? Give me Eve as a fantasy game, dammit! Economy (well, the concept, anyway), PvP (people go: "I'll fight dumb AI and scream for better AI but get pissed if it's PvP..." what is THAT about???), freedom from the levelling crudmill...

Ah well... I guess I'm just a bitter old man, who wants content in the games I play... ridiculous, really.
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:57 am

Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Im not interested in this game either. Hey Grendel, look up Horizons, Star Wars Galaxies (if you like sci-fi), and Dragon Empires. Those are much better online games than this French game...
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:00 pm
Lanael
City Guard
City Guard

quote:
Those are much better online games than this French game...

could you explain why ?

or it is just a trendy "french bashing" ?
( no offense if it's not the case... I don't want to ignite the thread !! )
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:43 pm
Lanael
City Guard
City Guard

IMO :

With what I know about this game; the stong points are :

1) their kilometers-line-of-sight thing is unmatched since "Terra Nova: SFC".
2) their procedural land generation has no equivalent since Elite 3 ( or maybe elder scrolls 2 ?? )

The first point is marvellous from the immersion point of view. Do you really like the permanent fog at 300 meters in all other games ?
Haven't you try to push the gothic engine to its 300% ???

The second point is very interesting from the exploration point of view.
The land is very large and full of details. ( and didn't require a "by hand" construction ).

But I agree... these points don't make a game !!
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:23 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

No, i wouldnt care less if it was made in france or germany or texas.

The game is soul-less. There is NO innovation. You will have a big huge map. So does every other mmorpg coming out. PvP, well okey, but so do most mmorpgs coming out, with better systems (dragon empires, swg). They arent releasing any information right now that would get me interested in the game. No info about skills, player-controlled townships, guilds, warfare, land ownership, ect. Look at the Darkfall Online website and compare. Which is at least more interesting?

I'll go with SWG, Darkfall, Dragon Empires, and Horizons over Dark & Light any day.

EDIT -- btw, fyi, i like french people. also most of my ancestors are french. im not someone to hold a grudge against anyone based on politics and all that. france is cool, i think. never been there, but would like to someday.

EDIT #2 -- and french women are hot. well, some of them at least
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:36 am

quote:
They arent releasing any information right now that would get me interested in the game.

Right. Same for me.

quote:
EDIT -- btw, fyi, i like french people. also most of my ancestors are french. im not someone to hold a grudge against anyone based on politics and all that. france is cool, i think. never been there, but would like to someday.

Ok ! Sorry for presuming the contrary; it's not my habits
Anyway, nice to see a clever american !!

quote:
EDIT #2 -- and french women are hot. well, some of them at least

True, but it's the same for every women all over the world, I think
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:15 am

Lanael
City Guard
City Guard

oops.. hope I'm more than a guest...
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:25 am
Shazi

Hey, i just happened to trip over this thread and thought i might share my thoughts with you,

I have been in the DnL community for quite some time now, attended to several dev-chats etc etc
From what i know then the reason not much information is released is because most stuff haven't yet been decided or finished. I myself think the DnL developers don't want to spread any "false" rumors since they are (from what i know) still working on lots of stuff and might change their mind about how the stuff should work.

Also, think about it this way: the more stuff that ain't finished, the more stuff the customers (we, or at least I ) can suggest

just my two cents
Post Wed May 19, 2004 8:12 pm

Lunket

give the game a shot even if they are slow on releasing facts and videos about it.
Read the dev chats and see the screenshots, pay special attention to the shield boarding that was added because a post in the DnL forums and the hanggliders as well.
At least they didnt show any pictures or saying anything about those 2 things until some time after that post.
So they really do listen to their members.
And dont forget that you will be able to have barfights with forks or wooden spoon or such, maby even a dried old loaf of bread=).
Almost anything couldbe used as a weapon they have said.
It will be truly kickazz, I KNOW that!.
Post Sat May 29, 2004 1:10 pm

Moriarti
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Dark and Light - NOT A FRENCH COMPANY

They are based in Mauritius in South Africa.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/mp.html
Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:09 am
AkeGamer

About the devs...

And I believe that some of the devs were Monarchy leaders in AC on the Darktide server. They truly understand what is needed in an MMORPG with a PvP backbone. At least that's my perspective.
Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:42 pm

PvP is not the way forward - but no companies listen.
Look at the playerbases, look at how many of each playerbase choose to PvP even in games where it is encouraged.

On another note.. D&L will never be a sucess until they get the graphics engine sorted. Its so laggy even on high end hardware that it makes SWG with all the settings full up look like Quake framerates in comparison.
Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:16 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next