FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Dark And Light (PC, MMORPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
Menayin

I think D&L has some very nice concepts and it's good they give such weight on things like world size, grafics and weather system..
I never liked playing in a static scene-of-a-world. Some rain or fog can make all the diference on a quest you're on and before you venture onward to a new adventure

BUT...
I have been in D&L community for about a year, if not more.
The "not releasing info" bit got a tad old. I think they didn't release info at 1st so other companies with stronger/bigger development teams wouldn't steal ideas.
Then it started to be about not having settled to the game features... ok, how about mechanics? (we have a great grafics engine and an immence world, blah blah...) This just doesn't cut it.
The dev news where scarse -even within the community- and no-one really moderated all the anticipating people. I mean, no feedback, no release estimation, no beta progress, not even community events to keep our interest.
I was surprised to see literally NO NEWS AT ALL

I played Wish beta and Lineage2 meanwhile, always keeping an eye about ANY info that might be released. Guess what.. after all this time, zippo, nada, nothing. The D&L community forums where emptying slowly and the website itself even went down for a while!

..Now, I know those guys "pretending" to work down there at that tropical island are having a ball propably (on the backs of some french investors -no doubt) and as the wold mmorpg industry releases more and more good games, they get ideas and see some of their own being used from others, but enough is enough. 1 and a half year ago, the 1st "beta" was announced for 500 people. To my knowledge, all they had was an empty world to run around.
Since then, another "beta" was announced for the same minimum of 500 people, featuring....?
Playing online for more than 10 years, and after many betas, I know for a fact, that at SOME point there's supposed to be a game mechanics testing phase, a stress test, and a bug-check. These -usually- involve many people and full features built in the game to test with.

(this gets long as my anger of being duped into waiting builts up in my brain, and more and more words poping up to write down, so I better stop)
You got the idea I think... IF this game EVER releases, I doubt it will be up to date with the rest of the mmorpg community out there. I -for 1- have lost interest and I wish those developers have at least a nice tan by now...

Coz, they sure don't have a game developed!
Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:07 am

Malgeist
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi Menayin,

The game has now a dedicated team for the community management and communication.
Regular news are coming and the websites will be revamped.
Concerning the Beta test, a new wave of 5000 players will enter in the Beta test in about two weeks.

Be sure the Dev team is working hard on the game and our target date for release is end 2004 / Early 2005.

See you soon on Ganareth,
Malgeist
DnL Community Rep
Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:13 pm
Stormwaltz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Actually, NPCube is based on Reunion Island, in the Indian Ocean east of Madagascar. I believe Reunion is a Department of France.

Also, if I recall correctly, the game being developed by former AC Darktide monarchs is Darkfall Online.

PvP is the way forward. It's the most popular activity in online gaming. Don't believe me? Recall that the most popular online game in the world is Counterstrike. And Doom, Quake, UT, and the BF games aren't exactly small potatoes either. The success of these games seems to argue that gamers love PvP. What they dislike is grief, and unfortunately, the excesses and painful death penalties of early UO have lead people to equate PvP in MMGs with grief. Sorry, but it just ain't so. We simply haven't seen an MMG with a fun, non-punitive, well-balanced PvP system yet. I'm betting either City of Villains or Guild Wars will be the first.

D&L looks more like a world than any MMG I've seen since AC1. Zones are so 1998. Give me a horizon, and the ability to travel to what I see on it, and this Explorer type will be pretty darn happy. No other MMG in development can match the sheer scope of a D&L screenshot.

They have been fairly uncommunicative about gameplay features, but I can wait. I only hope they go further in the world sim path, and less in the EQ warmed over path.
Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:24 pm

PvP

I really cannot see how anyone can say that PvP is the way forward.

FPS games like counterstrike are not MMORPGs.
FPS games do not have a subscription (usually).
If people want PvP then they will go play Counterstrike, or perhaps Planetside (does anyone actually play Planetside? Its the only one I can think of with a subscription.).

The two are different games with different playerbases, and I imagine that they will stay that way for the forseeable future.

You only have to look at the numners of players on the EQ PvP servers to realise that only a small number of players want anything to do with it.
Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:46 pm

Stormwaltz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: PvP

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
FPS games like counterstrike are not MMORPGs.

FPS and MMORPGs are both played online with strangers. The two most significant differences between them are:

1) Speed. FPS don't involve much tedious running around, and have twitch based combat.

2) There are no consequences to death in FPS. If you die, you lose nothing, you just respawn. If you die in an MMG you may lose XP, items, and travel time.

CoH and GW are already talking the combat speed issue to task with their use of instanced zones for small parties. As for the second issue, that's what I mean when I say that PVP for the masses in an MMG needs to be non-punitive. If you make combat and PVP as fun in an MMG as it is in an FPS, people will play it.

quote:
FPS games do not have a subscription (usually).

FPS games also don't have a persistent world. What I'm trying to say is that if you make an MMG in which PVP combat is more akin to an FPS - fast and non-punitive - then people will enjoy it and PVP will gain more mainstream acceptance. Of course few will pay a subscription for an FPS. But an persistent world MMG with strengths of both SWG and BF42 - that they just might.

quote:
You only have to look at the numners of players on the EQ PvP servers to realise that only a small number of players want anything to do with it.

I see the numbers, but I interpret them diffferently. I see them as saying that most players don't want to play PVP in which death sets them back in XP and/or equipment. EQ is virtually synonymous with the concept of punishing the player for failure/death. No wonder its PVP servers are unpopular.

You're saying that PVP isn't popular in MMGs. I agree, and I'm trying to articulate why I think that's so and how it could be rectified, using the popularity of inherently PVP FPS as a model. I think current MMG PVP systems do not appeal to a broad audience because if you lose or get randomly grief killed, you suffer a significant setback. It seems to me we could agree - I do think PVP is currently unpopular. I believe that's primarily because if you lose, you sacrifice levels and equipment.

There will always be people who prefer PVP with consequence. I'm one of them. I think Shadowbane, for all its flaws, was a big step forward in the MMG genre. However, I also recognize that the majority of the MMG playerbase is not like me, and is uninterested in warring with deadly earnest over resources and cities. They just want to have fun.

It seems to me someone should try to make PVP in an MMG as fun and appealing as it is in FPS.
Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:09 am

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
The game is soul-less. There is NO innovation. You will have a big huge map. So does every other mmorpg coming out. PvP, well okey, but so do most mmorpgs coming out, with better systems (dragon empires, swg). They arent releasing any information right now that would get me interested in the game. No info about skills, player-controlled townships, guilds, warfare, land ownership, ect. Look at the Darkfall Online website and compare. Which is at least more interesting?
No offense, but you guys who are saying it has no innovation, are you drunk?

This MMORPG has more innovative systems then any other MMORPG out there. There is so much new in there that it has the potential to shift the view of the genre in a completely new direction! No innovation? Geez...
Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:43 pm

Yellowrat
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Stormwaltz---i totally agree with your views of how pvp could be popular in mmorpgs. I've been saying to gamers without much vision, i guess, similar things for at least a year and a half.

I think this game is on the right track.
Post Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:32 am
Ceridwenn

Leveling

I would go for DnL anyday, but one thing(or several for that matter) bothers me. Level.
Imo Leveling is oldschool and out of date.
Darkfall online has a much better, skillbased system, like Eve. And Mourning seems to have an interesting way of dealing with char development.
I only wished that DnL could have gone that road and I would have been sold.

I will try all the games out, but I would really want a game with the hugeness and environment in DnL, and the skillbased system and eye-candy locations in Darkfall.

Maybe I should make my own game =P
Post Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:58 am

Anonymous_coward

you have got to be kidding me

in regards to Dark and Light. Every site I've been to since the announcement of this game has been touting the "innovation" and the general awesomeness of the game that's going to change everything. Unfortunately I am restricted from telling you exactly why its the biggest pile of crap on the market due to a ridiculous NDA. . . and this is coming from an experienced beta tester. I thought MxO was crap and then I got the 'priviledge' of this one and was massively disappointed. Tout the wonderous size of an admittedly beautiful land and bland weather system, but seriously. . . don't think this game is going to change anything. That's about as dumb as thinking WoW is 'Game of the Year' based on sales alone. . . oh wait. . .
Post Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:24 pm

trykster

ummm

i couldnt help but post... pvp is what the majority of the players want... look at the release of games such as shadowbane with IMMENSE populations.... problem is no game company has implemented it right... although imo old school AC did it quite nicely

need to find a balance of player skill / items / character skill...

and im sorry but what most call griefing i find to add the most exciting elements into ANY game... excitement and fear... does it suck to get ganked by that level 80 when your level 5? yes does it make the game more immersive? yes... that ganker doesnt stop me from playing... he simply stops me from going where he happens to be at that moment... this my friends adds immersion and realism... i personally wont play a game without open pvp.. and if the people that bitch spent half as much time doing something about it then it wouldnt be a problem... dont like getting griefed? team up and kill the guy griefing... players should police themselves instead of expecting the game to do it for you and dropping 90% of the immersion factors.... basically what most of you should do is buy those choose your own adventure books because thats basically what you have now with most mmorpg's
Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:52 am

Enderandrew
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

We don't need to argue PvP vs. Non-PvP since most games offer the option for either. It is possible for one game to cater to both sets of players, even allowing for one character on a PvP server, and a character on a non-PvP server, or whatever.
Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:57 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2