Dreamfall: Review @ PC.IGN
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Dreamfall: Review @ PC.IGN

PC.IGN is the first site we've tracked to <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/702/702002p1.html" target="_blank">review</a> Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. The score is a somewhat underwhelming 7.4/10 and here's a snip:<blockquote><em>Dreamfall clearly tried for a more action-oriented approach, presumably to draw in more fans to the dying adventure genre. Unfortunately, the new direction doesn't lead anywhere enjoyable. There are still puzzle elements at work, involving item collection and combination to open doors, activate machinery, etc., but they've been greatly simplified from the first. Objects eligible to be interacted with are highlighted by blue brackets and are always obvious. Though there are multiple ways to complete some of the puzzles, they're generally too obvious.</em></blockquote>
Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:37 am

I'm really disappointed if the puzzles and such truly are simplified and dumbed down (I guess they are... why would the reviewer lie) just so they could squeeze some stupid combat and badly done stealth in the game. And I don't like the prospect of being guided through puzzles or the fact that everything gets highlighted when you get close to it. The story might be great and the NPC interaction might be good, but if the game isn't fun to play... this game is coming off my Most Wanted List and into my "When it gets dirt cheap I might buy it" list.

I've been itching for a great adventure game recently, but this clearly isn't it. Maybe Broken Sword: The Angel of Death is a better bet cause I thoroughly enjoyed the last one (even though it had ALOT of box puzzles)... guess I'll have to wait a little while longer for a great adventure game.

On a sidenote, why don't developers just stick with the good old point and click adventure games? I'd bet they'd still sell even today. Sometimes the extreme focus on 3D graphics (and now combat and stealth I guess) pisses me off.
Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:03 am

Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Blech. I was looking forward to this being my next game purchase, but after what I read in that review, I think I'll wait. The main reason is, disappointingly, this new 'Longest Journey' sounds so different from the first, which was excellent.
Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:12 pm
Kevin2

I just played through the whole game and I can tell you - don't get it. I don't want to spoil anything, so I won't mention anything other than the music REALLY sucked. I turned off the speakers sometimes to get away from it.

Maybe get it when it hits the bargain bin.
Post Thu May 04, 2006 1:48 am