Look out... he's got a heavy branch!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Look out... he's got a heavy branch!

I'm not happy about all the changes they've made to my beloved game with the addon. It's cool that they've made certain enemies like orcs much tougher and high level training now takes more experience so you don't get too powerful to quick, but I hate all the other tinkering they've done. I've complained about this in another post so I'm not going to rant, especailly since it can't possibly do any good, but there was one point I'm curious about.

It now seems armour is more or less irrelevant. Here's what I mean; I'm in my light dragon hunter's armour, I have 370 hit points. I'm attacked by a bandit with a heavy branch (that's a heavy branch, not an orc slayer or something). He hits me about three times and I'm half dead! My sword fighting skills notwithstanding... how is it possible that he does so much damage with a weapon that does 10 damage? Keeping in mind I have a weapon protection of 105. What sort of stats do they use to calculate damage? I'm not just bitching, I'd genuinley like to know because that just seems stupid to me. I suppose any weapon adds a strength bonus to calculate damage, so did they just give all NPCs 150 strength or something?

I also didn't like how weapons require much greater stats to use. Although I kinda like being forced to cope with weaker weapons for a while, I think it would be better if they'd just limited the availability of the more powerful ones until later in the game. For instance the orc slicer and bastard sword that you can just pick up. Maybe they could have associated them with quests that you need to complete to get the weapon?

Your thoughts?
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:43 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Re: Look out... he's got a heavy branch!

quote:
Originally posted by Phil5000
..., so did they just give all NPCs 150 strength or something?

That's about right.

The NPC's indeed have tons of hitpoints and strength/dexterity. In some cases it's a little weird, but when they are wielding a real sword, it makes sense that they kill with so few hits. In real life you also can't withstand a dozen of hits.

Last edited by Sem on Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:54 am
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Well now I've finally gone into the new lands and it's way too easy. Since the main game was so hard now I expected the new lands to be wicked hard so levelled up as far as I could (to 23) and now I'm finding it too easy.

The new areas really cool though, I love the way they did it. Too bad I've spoiled it somewhat by going too late.
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:30 am
kriksa
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

The extra health, strength and less xp was all ok, but what seriously annoyed me was the health regeneration of the dragons. It was way too fast
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:45 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Phil5000
The new areas really cool though, I love the way they did it. Too bad I've spoiled it somewhat by going too late.

PB meant that you'd go to Jharkendar before going to the Valley of Mines, so you would be a higher level when you faced the orcs. When you go to it, when you're like level 12-14 it's much harder obviously.
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:45 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

kriksa,

Sorry, but I have to disagree there. The dragons in G2 were WAY too easy for "bosses". With the regen in NotR, they are more of a challenge, but (IMO) still too easy. Oh well, the rest of NotR is really cool, though.

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:45 pm
Arexen
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

In my humble opinion, the harder the game the more satisfying it is to complete it.
Post Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:06 pm
Provok
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Arexen
In my humble opinion, the harder the game the more satisfying it is to complete it.

Yes, but the harder the game the more you are tempted to leave it or start cheating. I found it pretty damn hard to start it (I got the game with the add-on directly) and found it really hard, as opposed to Gothic 1. Though not that "hard" like in other games where you strived and collected every penny and item and talked with everybody (I still did it in G2: NotR) but "mentally hard". Don't know how to explain it ...
Post Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Arexen
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I have not played the expansion yet, so I don't know how hard it is so I'll just be prepared for anything.
Post Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:05 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Arexen,

The first time you play NotR I recommend two possible ways of going about it:

1. Go really slow through it -- poke into every corner, sneak past things that might kill you (for now), talk to EVERYBODY, and pick up every plant and item you see lying about. And save, Save, SAVE! This will get you money and keep you alive while you get some XPs from quests. Also, if you go slow, you can better appreciate the changes to G2 that NotR adds, as well as the whole new Addon world. Later plays will be more "efficient", once you know what's what, but it will only be your "first time" once, so really enjoy it!

2. You can just consider this first run as a "throw away" game and run all over the place exploring without actually doing quests or killing things. You'll die a lot (good saves help here), but see what's there in the world -- in a more general sense. Then go back and start a new game "for real."

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:03 am
Arexen
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

thanks for the suggestions I will definately do those things you said.
Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:42 am