Iīm somehow disappointed
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Timothius
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Iīm somehow disappointed

No, not because of the hype (didnīt care for that), but... well - perhaps itīs just me but Iīve played the game now for several hours, and I have to admid that Bioware did a fine Job with the user-interface and the graphics - everything is done the most efficient way, even the quests are very well done so far... damn, it should be a great game but I canīt help, it feels so dead! Everything seems to be polished up, but the world feels so... lifeless and sterile. Thereīs no atmosphere for me - not at all. Oh, how I loved the flair of Baldurīs Gate... this feeling of beeing immersed into the world, the game felt somehow... organic, alive, emotional. NWN feels dead and soulless compared to BG. Anyone experienced the same? Hoefully it is just me, and I am the wrong mood today... or it IS the game, and about all the graphics and multiplayer-optimization and and and Bioware forgot what a RPG should be about. Atmosphere! I just canīt believe that this game is made by the same guys who made Baldurīs Gate...
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 11:18 pm
Gaijin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Re: Iīm somehow disappointed

quote:
Originally posted by Timothius
No, not because of the hype (didnīt care for that), but... well - perhaps itīs just me but Iīve played the game now for several hours, and I have to admid that Bioware did a fine Job with the user-interface and the graphics - everything is done the most efficient way, even the quests are very well done so far... damn, it should be a great game but I canīt help, it feels so dead! Everything seems to be polished up, but the world feels so... lifeless and sterile. Thereīs no atmosphere for me - not at all. Oh, how I loved the flair of Baldurīs Gate... this feeling of beeing immersed into the world, the game felt somehow... organic, alive, emotional. NWN feels dead and soulless compared to BG. Anyone experienced the same? Hoefully it is just me, and I am the wrong mood today... or it IS the game, and about all the graphics and multiplayer-optimization and and and Bioware forgot what a RPG should be about. Atmosphere! I just canīt believe that this game is made by the same guys who made Baldurīs Gate...

I sort of see your point...It reminds me a lot of IWD at the start, very slow and not with the bang the two BG games had...But I feel the more I play, like IWD, the more I'm really getting into it...The Scenes are coming alive.

Maybe it's because the prologue didn't have the bang of the BG games...But keep playing man....hopefully it'll click for you.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:43 am
Rixk

Having reached chapter 4 now, I have a good feel for the game. Neverwinter doesnt start out with a bang, but it gains much more momentum than baldurs gate ever had. To anyone who thinks its going slow, play through to the end of chapter 2, then decide what you think. The game just keeps going and going, and really manages to keep you guessing. So just stick it out and I guarantee you will like it more and more.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:52 am

MtnDwarf
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I think some of the lack of realism and atmosphere in neverwinter in comparison with the baldurs gate games is how corpses of the dead fade away and that the items that monsers and people are holding when they are alive are not necessarily on them when they die. Those aspects of baldures gate added alot of realism to the game for me and the lack of them in neverwinter takes away from the reolism.

ps. that is my only complaint with neverwinter, all other aspects of the game are perfect
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:09 am
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

well, if you look at characters in the toolset items are tagged as "dropable" or not. so you could just change it so that they were all dropable... and then all would be peachy.

Don't you feel better now?
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:59 am
Gaijin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I am really starting to dig the strategy that a 2 player team. I found that in BG 2 I had to link up so many chain spells to insure some of those mages when down that it was just easier to send everybody after the Mage and smack the hell out of them reviving whoever died in the process (a scary idea indeed). The henchman is a smart enough 9 times out of 10 to be useful and I've really started having fun with the Taunt/Parry/Watch Tomi smack the crap out of the guy Combo....reminds me of old Kung Fu movies...well minus the fact that there's no Halfling going in to give the Evil Kung Fu overlord backstab damage...

My only Gripe is sometimes the sheer stupidity of some of the Orders. Attack Nearest seems to say, "Hey Tomi, ignore the big trap you found on the floor and just walk over it to get to that Ghoul!"...*Tomi Screams* "uh nevermind then...back to the Halls of Justice".

What does everybody think of the Recall Stone?
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:52 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

Ahh, the recall stone. I've restricted myself to using it when I've cleared out the dungeon I'm working in or whatnot, and not as a means for escape when I am overpowered. When used like that it is a great time-saver. Time-savers goood....

-vaticide
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 3:24 pm
PraetorJudis
Village Leader
Village Leader

Yeah, I'm using the Stone in much the same fashion. It's a convenient method of returning after a quest is done, and I don't want to walk back through the recently emptied corridors.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:04 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm having a hard time selecting a character I enjoy enough to go through the game...

Each time I make one, I end up getting bored with him and make a different one, I'm at the point now that I've restarted so many times that I get sick thinking about playing the game again.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:54 pm
Gaijin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Stick with a character and get out there! The quest does pick up...Have faith
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:25 pm
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

The game feels very polished so far. Only some minor AI problems, like Tomi getting spiked and some buggy path finding.

I’m not too far into the game yet so the story is still at an early stage. I don’t expect it to be as epic as BG. It’s hard beating being a Bhallspawn. They only thing I miss are having a party but playing with friends should compensate for this.

I think it was wise of BioWare to include the Stone of Recall to give players that are having a hard time with the game an easy option out. If you think it’s to easy don’t use it. I only use it myself when being encumbered or when completing an area.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:32 pm