Xbox 360 Gets HD-DVD - News @ Gamershell
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

Xbox 360 Gets HD-DVD - News @ Gamershell

I could make a fairly educated guess, judging by the rather satirical tone of this particular newsbit, as to who the unknown author might very well be...be that as it may, the staff over at Gamershell bring us the latest (and greatest) <a href="http://www.gamershell.com/news/23598.html" target="_blank">news</a> re the latest developments in Microsoft's Xbox 360... <br> <br><blockquote><em>It seems that our one and only God, Bill Gates, stated in Japan that Xbox 360 will get HD-DVD drives, thanks to the Microsoft and Toshiba partnership. Unfortunately, the initial batch of units will have only classic DVD drives, as the HD-DVD ones may not be out until the Xbox 360 launch. This could mean that only some of the potential customers for Xbox 360 will hurry up and buy one upon launch, as most of them will surely wait for the final version, so to speak. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that most of the Xbox enthusiasts out there will get both versions, which, of course, will make God happy. <br></em></blockquote>
Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:42 pm
Znith
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ahh yes the typical M$ way..
Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:43 pm
Mystery Guy

I highly doubt this would happen. Unless the HD-DVD drive will ONLY be used for movies and not games.

Because releasing two different versions of every game (The HD-DVD version and the DVD version) would be idiotic even by M$ standards. Just look at the havoc caused by this in the PC Gaming world. I've been on web boards where people still complain about DVD only releases (GTA:SA, NWN Platinum) and others (like me) who wish the regular PC-CD format would die. Just imagine what a similiar division would do to the 360.

Of course, if the HD-DVD drive is just for movies, then that's no big deal. I'd rather just buy a seperate HD-DVD player (I plan on it anyway) and leave my game consoles to act simply as game consoles. If this is the case, I'll take the initial version and spend all my time playing ES4:Oblivion.
Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:11 am

Raldor
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Don't let a little thing like the system's main drive not being ready, delay launching. Sounds like they think this is a pc game.
Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:24 am
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Actually Bill Gates never said that. He did say that in the future XBOX 360 systems may have a next gen DVD drive. The keyword here is 'may'.
Also the story appears to be based on a month old article at softpedia.
A, probably, more accurate version can be found at Bloomberg.
A small quote:
quote:
The initial shipments of Xbox 360 will be based on today's DVD format,'' Gates said. ``We are looking at whether future versions of Xbox will incorporate an additional capability of an HD DVD player or something else.

Microsoft is not committing themselves to any standard yet.

It always amazes me how people love to jump to inaccurate conclusions.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:30 pm