Usergroups
Advice: PLANSCAPE TORMENT after GOTHIC?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Dog Of War
Village Leader
Village Leader

So, can you guys help me with this decision ,I heard that the PLANESCAPE THORMENT is an excellent RPG .... so I was thinking to buy this game , on the other hand , I find games like BG1 & BG2 boring ..
to tell the true , I dont even understand D&D rules so I like more games like GOTHIC , ULTIMA 9 , SOULBRINGER etc.
So should I buy PLANESCAPE TORMENT ?
Is this game created by D&D rules?
Do you guide whole party like in BG 1&2 or is it just "one character andventure" like GOTHIC? What do you suggested?
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 2:43 pm

Buy Outcast instead then. Not an RPG, but same feel of single guy adventure, lots of talking, a fully realized bizarre world, and a sense of satisfaction at the end. 3rd person like Gothic too. No skill advancement, just lots of quests and accumulation of weapons and ammo and respect.
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 3:55 pm

HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Planescape Torment is an excellent game, it runs with the D&D Rules, but your Avatar, the nameless one, stands a little above these rules, because he can change his character class.
Planescape Torment has an incredible story, the story is made by your actions and very often by the dialog options you chose.
You have too read and think a LOT in this game, fighting is similar to Baldurs Gate.

The graphics are a bit dated now, replay value is good.

Tip: You should get this game as a nice price game.

Hx
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 3:55 pm
Brak
City Guard
City Guard

If you didn't like BG1 or BG2 I would strongly recommend NOT getting Planescape Torment. I enjoyed BG1 & BG2 and at first I thought Torment was cool, but eventually I got so sick of reading endless pages of dialog and controlling the entire party that I just couldn't finish it. Too much reading!Gothic is so much different from the BG series that it makes PsT look like it is almost the exact same as BG. Personally, if you like the action feel of Gothic, I would get Icewind Dale before I would get PsT. Just create a party of like 3 or 4 people instead of 6 and go at it. Oh, a better suggestion...I haven't played it, but I hear Deus Ex is good, it is a 3d single player RPG and is not all that expensive anymore. I imagine that even though it is 1st person rather than 3rd, it would be most similar to Gothic.

Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 4:06 pm

quote:

On 2002-01-09 09:55, Anonymous wrote:
Buy Outcast instead then.
3rd person like Gothic too.

Outcast has 1st person too. You can switch whenever you want. But usually you go to 1st person only in combat for better side stepping enemy missiles.
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 4:40 pm

Jinx
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Torment is the best rpg I've ever played. Nothing comes even close to that game....
But gothic doesn't need to come close. Infact if there was another genre in the rpg field gothic would prolly belong there. Torment is seen from a 3rd person isometric view where as gothic is just third person and in a full 3d enviroment. Gothic is a really great game but entirely different from torment and/or the bg series. You can't really compare them at all. But this being said I found gothic absolutely stunning. Great lighting and a big landscape to wonder around in. It's definently worth the money you pay for it.

[ This Message was edited by: Jestah on 2002-01-09 10:54 ]
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 4:53 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

quote:

On 2002-01-09 08:43, Dog Of War wrote:
I find games like BG1 & BG2 boring ..
to tell the true , I dont even understand D&D rules so I like more games like GOTHIC , ULTIMA 9 , Do you guide whole party like in BG 1&2 or is it just "one character andventure" like GOTHIC? What do you suggested?

If you get bored with Baldur's Gate; then you'll fall asleep with Torment. Come on folks, what's the difference between those games, it's the same company. Torment, Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, there all the same, just a different background.
On the otherhand, if you liked Ultima 9; then Gothic is the perfect game. You'll lead yourself throughout the whole adventure (different NPGs will join you; but only briefly).
Trust me, Gothic is the right choice.
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 4:56 pm
mersil
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Blade Of Darkness
Rune :

these are the only 2 that i know that will give you the somewhat Same satisfaction as Gothic
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 5:51 pm
Xandrius
Village Leader
Village Leader

Planescape Torment is a really good game, but the story is the best ever imo !!!
If you enjoyed the movie "memento" , you will love the game PT!!
Of course is the grafic really old, but that wont be too big problem.
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 5:52 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

I misunderstood your question. Go here:
http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=1349&forum=2
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 6:05 pm
Dog Of War
Village Leader
Village Leader

Thanx to everyone ! I think I ll buy OUTCAST , that should do it for some time ,
or maybe ANACHRONOX (I heard this one is very similiar to DEUS EX wich I have finished twice..) What do you guys think abou EVIL ISLAND ?
Its look like good Diablo-style RPG...or maybe REVENANT?
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 6:56 pm
lildragon
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Evil Islands is a descent game, it has a nice feel to it, if you liked Darkstone you like it

About Ultima 9 does anyone know where to get that bugger? it's been discontinued
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:07 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well i say if you havent played Gothic then why the hell you dont buy it right now the best game i ever seen was Gothic!!! on 2 place was Deus Ex and on 3 place a real old game named Broken Sword 1 and 2
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:11 pm
Brak
City Guard
City Guard

His subject line says "after GOTHIC" meaning he has already played it and wanted to know if PsT will be a good next game for himself.

Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:19 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

quote:

On 2002-01-09 13:07, lildragon wrote:
About Ultima 9 does anyone know where to get that bugger? it's been discontinued

If you're here in the US; try e-bay. It's been going for about 20 bucks.
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:39 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next