only started, so need sugestions
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Úlari
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

only started, so need sugestions

I played Gothic before and I was playing as Mage. It was the first RPG i have ever played. It really is a good game . So... to my problem... In Gothic II I'm in City of Khorinis at level 1. I haven't decided what do I want to be... I was thinking... Mercenerie or Mage... or Paladin... What should I be ??

How to spend my first skill points? What level should I be at the end of chaper 1? Where to get good weapons in the begining of the game? Is it worth to train Sneaking, Acrobatics, Lockpicking and Pickpocketing??

All answers are wellcome

And since I'm new... Hello
Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:10 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hello, and welcome!

The first few skillpoints should be used to get a bit of strength, and skill in one-handed weapon(up to expert, so that you can get the first real "combo"). After that, spend skillpoints on what you really need(a mage needs magic etc). My advice to you is to get 30% 1handed weapon and decent strength already before you join any of the camps.

Since it is your first time, I recommend that you join the milita, and then become a Paladin. Not only is the militia the easiest one to join, but the Paladin has a great advantage by having the fighting skill of a mercenary, and the magic of a Magician(the Paladins' magic is actually surprisingly powerful, and they have healing, light, as well as a few really good damage spells).

Lockpicking, sneaking and so on is actually quite useful(compared to what it was in Gothic 1), and you can make a lot of money by having it, but it is dexterity based, so if you plan on having someone who is mainly a melee fighter, without a bow/dexterity, you just waste a lot of points.

Giving you any further advice will just ruin the experience of discovering things about the Gothic 2 world for you, so I'll stop now, but if you have any further questions, just ask, and we'll do our best to answer!
Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:20 am
Úlari
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks
Which level where you when you finished 1 Chapter... In Gothic I was level 9, is that ok?
Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:26 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

It all depends on your way of playing. Being around level 9 is perfectly okay, and I think I was around that level the first time I played the game. Later, you can experiment on being higher/lower levels in order to make it a different experience.
Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:40 am
Úlari
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks a lot. I have few mote questions.

Is being 'Merc' hard? If I am 'Merc' should I focus on sword fighting?
Should I work for Harad or Bosper? Is it worth to study Alchemy?

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:25 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Alchemy will later grant you potions that give you +5 strength and +10 mana permanent(and a lot of them), so I would say so yes, but mostly if you are a magician and need lots of mana. If you are going to play a merc, you should work for Harad. You get a good strength teacher, as well as being able to make some money. Bosper is always a good option as well, but then you have to use another blacksmith hidden in the slums as your strength teacher(but you make more money though).

Being a merc isn't "hard" really. Only a magician is considerably harder than the other two, and require a bit of expertise to do right. You should then focus on melee yes, because it is easier to be a melee fighter. Later on, you should get crossbow/dexterity as well(like in Gothic 1, you can become master in both crossbow/2H weapon before the end, but your primary focus should be melee).
Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:16 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

If I was rating difficulty, mage wins easily. Merc is probably the second toughest and Paladin the easiest, but the two are really close.....except for Paladin spells/runes which are a tremendously powerful ranged weapon(overpowered IMHO) With holy arrow you can STROLL thru the game compared to merc....and holy arrow is not the strongest Paladin rune. Masterofdisaster is just that (a newb won't understand that, but true players will)

You asked about who to work for as an apprentice....it really does'nt matter. With Harod you can make quick money making swords without leaving Khourinis, with Bosper you can make the same getting easy skins, and with the alchemy dude you can make mad cash selling herbs to him.....basically it is a wash. I always choose Bosper because the sword making is tedious and I like getting out the world. While I am out in the world I get a ton of herbs, naturally, but I can always sell them anyway. It is still a wash...just pick the one you think you will like.

Personally, I never spend LP's on lockpicking or sneaking(especially sneaking) because you can alway save game, find out the lock combo, and reload. I'd rather do that than waste LP's. Unlike gothic 1, LP's are hard to come by and should not be wasted. Sneaking is not needed at all IMHO. You can strafe into any house you wish, get the goods, and strafe back out.

You definitely want to spend your first few LP's on strength. At that point in the game, you have nothing else to fall back on. No magic, not enough money to be wasting arrows, so kicking butt with your trusty sword is about all you can do....and you need strength for that....UNLESS you want to be a ranger. If that is the case you can train dex, go get the dex based sword(I think it is pirates sabre, but I can't remember right now) and you will be able to defend yourself.

Dam, I feel like I just played the first chapter again You asked about what level to get before leaving chapter 1....personally I REALLY level up before leaving the chapter. 15+ is not hard to pull off, but you need to have played the game I believe to understand how to easily level up. You'd need to know all the available quests and how to do them. Doing this makes the game extremely easy as the game progresses, so it might not appeal too you. I have played it the hard way, know the easy way, and play it different each time thru.

Anyway, goodluck, enjoy the game, and DISCOVERING how to play the game is what it is all about. Avoid walkthroughs, the spoiler section, and long winded posts like mine. Learn to beat it on your own and you will get great pride from figuring it out on your own.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:12 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

A few things. You need lockpick skill(5 skillpoints) to even attempt to open a chest, so you don't really have a choice Uriziel..

Another thing I forgot about is where the 1st chapter actually ends. I just completed it at level 5. You should be around level 9(or above) when you go into the valley of mines, not when you leave chapter 1(that will come a bit sudden on you, and you don't really get a chance to finish things, so finish them in chapter 2 before you leave for the valley of mines).
Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:44 pm
Úlari
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

thanks man

Now I am level 5
One-handed 30%
Strength 20
Learned to skin animals and forge weapon
I have 10 LP still left... I will probebly train it on +10 strenght
Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:44 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

You do that. Get it up to 50 before you leave for the valley. In there you need to run a lot(it's meant for your to do so, you'll be going back here later to kick ass, so don't worry), but a little strength is always handy!
Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:47 pm
Graham 2
High Emperor
High Emperor

The first time I played I was on Level 3 when I went into the valley of mines and I got out in one piece, though I did a LOT of running, you should be fine.
Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:01 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

quote:
Originally posted by Maylander
A few things. You need lockpick skill(5 skillpoints) to even attempt to open a chest, so you don't really have a choice Uriziel..

Another thing I forgot about is where the 1st chapter actually ends. I just completed it at level 5. You should be around level 9(or above) when you go into the valley of mines, not when you leave chapter 1(that will come a bit sudden on you, and you don't really get a chance to finish things, so finish them in chapter 2 before you leave for the valley of mines).

Being in my normal drunken state, I thought I added several things in my post....obviously I did'nt so I'll try to clarify.

On lockpicking...what I was trying to say was is that I don't waste points on it at all in Gothic 1, and do not learn the skill at this point in the game. I'd rather bulk up other things because gold ain't that hard too get....plus lockpicking gets tedious fast.(I now have a notebook with all the combinations, but still don't bother with it lol ) I prefer pickpocketing. There is something cool about looking a person in the eye while robbing him blind :rpglaugh:

About the chapter change/level...for some reason I always think of the chapter change as when I enter the VoM. I'd have to play again to actually see what my level is at the change....but I do every possible quest, and kill everything that moves before I leave the chapter.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:06 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hehehe, that is exactly why I wrote level 9 at first as well. I just played through the game(after I wrote that post), and went "OH!" when it suddenly jumped into the 2. chapter. I always think on it this way:

Chapter 1. Intro, join guild. Lots of small quests.
Chapter 2. Valley of the Mines
Etc..

Oh well.

I read your post again. Now that you clarified it seems okay to understand, but I missunderstood at first. Sorry about that. I agree that only 1 skill of lockpick is required in G1. I never take pickpocket in G1 either, but in G2 it is actually quite nice(both that and lockpick), but I wouldn't want to focus on it in the first game. It is only useful to a dexterity based ranger, so to Ulari - choose a melee fighter the first time you go through the game, it is much easier! Do a ranger or a magician the second time, for challenge. I recommend doing it in this order:
1.Paladin
2.Ranger/Merc
3.Magician

Anyway, you do as you wish. If you've played G1, you should be able to complete it with any character anyway, so just get to it! Good luck!
Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:55 am
Úlari
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I think that I made a boo boo
My strenght is now 50+5 (ring), but there is no one handed weapon that I could really use it well. I am armed with Self-forgfed Sword... 20/30. There are much of Two-heanded weapons that make more demage... So should I level up fast and train Two-handed weapon fighting?? Or can you tell me where can I find better One-handed weapon??

IT'S REALLY GOOD GAME!!! I HAVE BECOME RPG-FANATIC MUST PLAY GOTHIC, MUST PLAY.....
Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:28 pm
Úlari
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

OK, so I'm now lvl 10
Strenght 50+5(ring)
Dexteriry 10+5(ring)
One handed 35
Two handed 35
Skinning animals, Forging weapons...

So... I had go in the VOM. So I did. But that damned orcs. I nearly escaped the whole pack of them. But than ONE comes... I couldn't get rid of him... He took 100hp... and than one comes straight to me... and.. BOOOM... I'm dead... is there any other way to get in thru the pass????
Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:29 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next