View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeon Siege

Author Thread
Volourn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Early Impressions

Here are my very early impressions of Dungeon Seige:

Positives: Graphics, and music are both very good. The combat system, and game controls are easy to learn as well. Very small learning curve to say the least.

Negatives: The game is all combat, very pratically nil for story. Only four skills enforces the idea that little skill is need to win said battles.

Other: The game is fun; but not a mind-blowing breath taking experience by far. I have yet to try multi-player so I can't comment on that. I hope that can at least bump my rating up a bit.

Rating: 60% (with the ability to improve depending on the playability of multi-player).
Post Thu Apr 18, 2002 4:12 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

60% is very low rating.

My is 90% - 95% just because this game is what it should be and what they say about it. Nothing more. But I do not want it to be more. I do not want difficult story, dialogues, too difficult battles or non-linear dungeons.

I like difficult games, but I do not think that all games should be like this.

Sound - perfect
Graphics - perfect
Stability - perfect (at least on my PC)
Story - maybe worst element of all
Duration - enough
Fun - perfect
-----------------
90%

Well only weak think is story. I do not need many surprises or secrets in game like this but story is simply weak (or maybe there is nearly no story).
Post Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:39 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

Neal Hallford wrote the story for the game, and I am reading a book he wrote about, guess what, making RPGs. One of the things he mentions is making an elaborate story, but not forcing it everyone. He mentions making it available to those who want it through things like books that are optional to read, etc. I think this is what he was trying to do, but either some things got cut by other designers, or he failed to put enough of the story directly in front of the player.

Either way, I agree with Danicek's assessment of the game.

-v
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:08 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
He mentions making it available to those who want it through things like books that are optional to read, etc. I think this is what he was trying to do, but either some things got cut by other designers, or he failed to put enough of the story directly in front of the player.

There are a good number of books, but not a lot. The story develops as you progress though, it's not thrust upon you at any point in the game.
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:52 am
Lord Puck
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I've just made it thru Stonebridge,and I'm happy so far.To me though it's missing that addictive quality.Most games I've played it's been like "just ten more minutes" and the next thing you know it's a hour later.Well I hope it gets better,because I waited a long time for it to come out.

Lord Puck
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:09 am
Volourn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yeah, I wasn't expecting a deep story; but I did expect more. However, I am still VERY early in the game, so maybe it will grow on me.
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:40 pm
pakaraatzi
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I didnt think I would like this game, cause I hated D2, but I tried the demo, and so far I find it pretty addictive. I couldnt stop playing until I got to stoneybridge. I like the feeling I get of just kicking @$$ when I got someone in my party, me with my mace, and the other with a bow.

I give it a 10/10 so far, even thuogh its not exactly my type of game, just seems to be a really well rounded game, no complaints.
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:39 pm
Skeltor
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Danicek, I feel your assessment hit the nail on the head.

Good rating!!
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:12 pm