Gothic Movie
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Kingpin393
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic Movie

I have played Gothic several times and even after i play other games i always come back and play Gothic again. I was trying to think of what it was that kept drawing me back. I finally came to the single conclusion that Gothic reminded me of a movie; the characters, the plot, the setting, everything. All these items made it feel as if you were playing a movie, i remember feeling great anger towards Gomez, and was happy to kill him for who he was and what he did, not because it was necessary to advance the plot as in other games (i know it was not necessary but you know what i mean). I also felt scared, nervous, and anxious at some point (mostly the last half when i really didn't know what is going on but you know it is something big and bad).

Anyway, the point i am trying to make is: you guessed it i think gothic should be made into a movie. OOO, big deal i am sure you all have thought the same thing. We obviously cannot do that. What i propose is, that we work together to do the next best thing: a screenplay for gothic. Now i may not be the best writer (as u can tell i am sure) but by taking one glance at the fanfic area i know there are some fans that are excellent writers. So i say we should write a full and professional screenplay for Gothic, those of us who not as talented in writing (me) could still play a role with comming up with ideas and such. Those of us talented in art can draw concept art. There should pretty much be a role for everyone who has played and liked gothic. And if we get it done and it is good, we can always email it off to movie companies (pb/jowood/xicat first), anything can happen right? Obviously there is a very slim chance it will get made into a real movie but at least we will know and have proof it could be a movie.

By proposing this i am by no means implying that should be leader or anything. I think there should be a leader, and that is for all of us to decide. I think the leader should be one of the talented writers. So maybe we could nominate some.

As you know i dont write much on the msg boards but i read almost everything, so don't get me wrong, i am a huge gothic fan.

If you are interested in helping with what i propose reply here...
Post Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:52 am
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

Have you approached Hollywood?

But in all seriousness, Tomb Raider became a movie! Hell, you never know. But I wonder who will play Mud?
Post Wed Sep 11, 2002 11:12 am
Kingpin393
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

hah, that will be one hell of a debate!
Post Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:13 pm
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

I think its an idea hard to pass-up.
If enough of us are interested...
Nahhh.
It could never be done. We'd have to hire a director, get a producer, hire an effects house, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc...
The list is too long: Too much list, so little money.
Get the point?
Post Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:52 pm
Kingpin393
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

my proposal was to make a screenplay, not a movie, a screenplay is like a plan for a movie, anybody can make a screenplay... it costs nothing
Post Wed Sep 11, 2002 11:37 pm
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

K...sounds good. I'll contribute as much as I can. I'm kinda busy trying to write a continuation to my own little fanfic here at gothicdot...
But school's gettin in the way! DANGIT!

Post Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:36 am
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

I'm with you I would help In everything you want. I've tough it before to writ e a movie for Gothic But I started writting other thing (you know I can't say what it is there are idea thiefs in this world) But count me In. We dont Get Money We need only Motivation and interest to do it.
Post Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:42 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Ehm... making a screenplay is actually not quite as simple as it may sound. There are mayn, many things you'll have to take into account, like camera angles etc.
Talking from experience here, I did scripts/screenplays for game cutscenes...
Post Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:14 am
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
Ehm... making a screenplay is actually not quite as simple as it may sound. There are mayn, many things you'll have to take into account, like camera angles etc.
Talking from experience here, I did scripts/screenplays for game cutscenes...

All true... but the effort(or money) put in is miniscule when compared to actually trying to make the movie. Besides... it's a starting point and would probably be re-written if a producer finally decides to pick it up anyway.

I say go ahead! Brave ones.
Post Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:51 am
CCRUNNERBOY613
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I agree completely. Medieval/swordfighting/fantasy movies (such as Lord of the Rings) are by far my favorite types of movies. Lord of the Rings was actually what inspired me to buy gothic. If anybody remembers the case- there was a photo of the minecrawler queen and it really reminded me of the cave troll that nearly killed frodo. I saw that and was like hey this looks like a pretty sweet game and i am glad i bought it. But about the whole gothic movie- i think it could be done if the game was turned into a series of novels and then maybee some more people who arent really into gaming could see what a cool story gothic is (and surely will be). But anyways i have no idea who could do any of this but it is neat to think about what could be......
Post Mon Sep 30, 2002 3:07 am