Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - Mainstream Video Card Performanc
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - Mainstream Video Card Performanc

There are a pile of Oblivion performance comparisons and tweak guides out there but this one focuses on <a href="http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_mainstream_performance/default.asp" target="_blank">mainstream video cards</a>, which I thought might be useful to a wider audience. You folks with your Crossfire X1900XT rigs really don't need my help. <blockquote><em>What all these gamers are discovering as soon as they boot up Oblivion is that the game is more demanding than anyone expected, as we showed you in our performance tests with the latest high-end cards last week, even the latest GeForce and Radeon cards can be brought to their knees if you don’t keep the eye candy settings in check. In hindsight we probably cranked the settings up a little too high for that article, we were running the cards with the highest visual settings available and in some ways that really isn’t feasible unless you’re running two graphics cards for SLI or CrossFire. For our second Oblivion performance article we’re running with more affordable graphics cards in the $120-$250 range. These cards don’t have the shading horsepower and memory bandwidth of the high-end cards we tested with last week, so we’re going to be more aggressive in tweaking the settings for optimal performance rather than image quality.</em></blockquote>
Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:05 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Actually, this isn't completely true . After a lot of experiments I have come to the conclusion that Oblivion eats CPU more than GPU. Best proof: On my system (3700+, 7800GTX), I get exactly the same framerates at 640x480 and 1600x1200. So my video card is rather bored, while my CPU sweats like during a workout.

Even the best video card with the best dual core processor out there can't get better framerates than 25fps in the tough spots with all features maxed.
Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:08 am
Mr Wonderstuff
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I had the same experience. I cranked the resolution up from 1024x768 to 1600x1200 and couldnt tell the difference in framerate. Suffice to say I'm running it at this resolution from now on. Seeing Oblivion running at that resolution with max textures is a rather religeous experience.
Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:12 am

I have a 7800gt and a 3800+ x2 processor and I have the settings maxed at a resolution of 1280x1024 and have some ini tweaks to increase the quality further and have a smooth game with good fps.
Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:27 pm