Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Paying for playing? Comments and a poll
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

How much are you willing to pay per month for a really good MMORPG game?
There is no limit
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
$20 is a definite max
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
$15 - $20 sounds good
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
$10 - $15
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
$9.95 is my standard
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
$5 - $ 10
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
I'd not pay one cent
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
Play free, pay for special items and services
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

Author Thread
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

I really haven't felt like being ripped off at all with games like Asheron's Call and DAoC. They cleary deserved the money I paid for them.

Both DAoC and AC give the players big time fun for the money because they both evolve a *lot*.
Post Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:46 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I dont feel like i have been ripped off playing mmorpgs either. I just get mad at ppl saying they are getting ripped off, WHO DONT EVEN PLAY THE GAMES and have no idea whats happening. In fact, I am going to buy SWGs and i am going to have TONS of fun with it for YEARS. And i am going to pay monthly with a smile on my face, because i am not CHEAP like some people are who dont play and dont have as much fun with their computer as they could have because they are too STUBBORN TO PAY A MONTHLY FEE due to personal feelings toward corporate America. end rant.
Post Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:50 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

That's fine Ammon, but I cannot help but agree with Su, when I see some real numbers, verified by an auditing company other than Arthur Andersen...
Post Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:50 pm
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

Wow, it seems that this topic really was in place. Brings up good points from both sides.

Some of us are used to play MMORPGs and usually there playing means paying. I made this poll because I've been once in the same boat saying "I will never pay monthly for a game" but here I am, paying and SMILING wide.

However, it is *NOT* easy to convince people to do that. Why should one pay after all?

Well, for me the cornerstone was the fact that I started my very fist MMORPG in BETA! I playd AC for free for 6 months, there I began to love this kind of games and I really could not get free from there when the beta ended. I was hooked, addicted, MMORPG junky, you name it. So I continued. And I really can not see the end at the moment...
Post Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:55 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Is that because of all the bad news about Enron and stuff? is that why you feel that way? Its a damn shame some companies have to ruin it for the good ones that *probably* exist out there.

But look at it this way. LucasArts & Verant arent really accountable to US -- you and me; why should they be? However, they *should* be accountable to the United States government because its the governments job to govern over stuff like that. anyway, just some thoughts.

EDIT: and if they arent accountable to the government, i can say with fair assurance that they will be accountable some day to God.
Post Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:57 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

quote:
Originally posted by sauron38
verified by an auditing company other than Arthur Andersen...

No matter how good the game is I'll feel screwed if I have to pay for the disk. And while I know that is part of their projected budget, I have no doubt that it would increase the number of people playing these games we could just get the disk or download the program for free. Because that people (like me) could try a game to see if we like it without having to pay $60 for something that becomes trash if I don't like it. It least with regular games I buy but don't like, I can give them a second chance latter on.

Xanaki: There was a non supported word in the message, I think you meant disk, not di*k.
Post Fri Jul 26, 2002 8:04 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
LucasArts & Verant arent really accountable to US -- you and me; why should they be?

For one, because WE give them OUR money for THEIR product. Are you telling me that if you go to your local icecream parlor and ask for 2 scoops of vanilla, and get one scoop of chocolate for the same money, you'll just walk out? Because they are not accountable to you?
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 12:37 am
Thormiel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Good grief, are you guys serious? Since when does a company owes it to the customer to publish their cost structure? Yeah, it's really a good idea for companies to let their competitors know what their costs are. Do you really think I can call Dell, or IBM and demand to see their cost structure before I buy their PCs just because I think their PCs are too expensive? If you don't think the price is worth it to you then don't buy. Simple as that.
Post Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:43 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Thormiel
Good grief, are you guys serious? Since when does a company owes it to the customer to publish their cost structure? Yeah, it's really a good idea for companies to let their competitors know what their costs are. Do you really think I can call Dell, or IBM and demand to see their cost structure before I buy their PCs just because I think their PCs are too expensive? If you don't think the price is worth it to you then don't buy. Simple as that.

Um... I'm sorry to contradict you there Thormiel, but in the case of the companies you mentioned you can actually. Well, you won't see the detail of how much a single PC costs them to make, but you will see the costs of operation and you will have full access to their bottom line, how much profits or losses they have had in the last year. Any public company have to submit financial statements to the public. Just go to NASDAQ, type in IBM, and look through the press releases to find their financials

But most gaming companies are private. Private companies don't have shareholders to contend, so they don't need to show their financial statements. If they were public and offered the public to buy shares, then yes they would absolutely have to show their financials. Or else they would go against the law.

Just thought you should know
Post Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:41 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

My opinion is it doesn't really matter what a gamer is willing to pay for access to a game. The gaming companies are destroying the MMO genre by charging fees. Each player can only afford to play one or maybe two (if they even had time to play two) games while paying these fees. Thus with 50+ MMO games coming out they are competing for the same share of money only two or three games were getting in the past. Sure more customers are being added constantly, but not at the same rate the development houses are making these games.

Companies who are making MMOs are just going to have to find a different method of making the money from these games.

-vaticide
Post Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:03 pm
Thormiel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
quote:

Um... I'm sorry to contradict you there Thormiel, but in the case of the companies you mentioned you can actually. Well, you won't see the detail of how much a single PC costs them to make, but you will see the costs of operation and you will have full access to their bottom line, how much profits or losses they have had in the last year. Any public company have to submit financial statements to the public. Just go to NASDAQ, type in IBM, and look through the press releases to find their financials

But most gaming companies are private. Private companies don't have shareholders to contend, so they don't need to show their financial statements. If they were public and offered the public to buy shares, then yes they would absolutely have to show their financials. Or else they would go against the law.

Just thought you should know

Yeah, I know that publicly traded companies have to submit their financial statements every quarter and at the end of the fiscal year. Anyway, the idea that some people have here that somehow the buyer should be able to dictate to the seller how much money he is allowed to make on his product/service is absurd.
Post Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:21 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Yeah, I know that publicly traded companies have to submit their financial statements every quarter and at the end of the fiscal year. Anyway, the idea that some people have here that somehow the buyer should be able to dictate to the seller how much money he is allowed to make on his product/service is absurd.

That I agree with you completely though. I myself do not mind that any company makes money from what I pay to play a game. It's actually what makes the industry stronger. That is, as long as what they offer me is of good quality. If it isn't then I stop playing (and paying of course )
Post Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:48 pm
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

Everyone here must also remember the fact that those MMO games that have this monthly subscription fee are not STATIC! Or atleast those that I pay for are not.

I do not mind paying for support and for evolving content, frequent bug fixes and such. Lets take Asheron's Call for example, it has had monthly updates since the very beginning. Every update has new content that is added to the world, the plot evolves every month. This does not come *FREE*, there are guys behind the scenes working on that stuff.

However, I hope the prices stay in line with the current ones. $10-15i/mo is the absolute maximum I would spend for this.
Post Fri Aug 30, 2002 11:33 am
Child-of-Thunder
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Another view from someone who has never played an mmorpg before...

I have to agree that when looking at getting one for the first time (and Ive been looking quite alot just recent.. DAoC looks kinda like the books *gasp* that I enjoy reading and Im an old Elite junkie so Earth and Beyond looks promising) and finding that I have to pay more than most single player games from the local stores just to get the executecutables and only THEN can I start playing the darn game seems like a scam of the highest order... whoever came up with it is a genius, legalised crookery

The way I see it is for the actual executables to be free and the online playing (following what has been said through this thread and the long post about costs) as charged... what doesnt make sense to me is the comment about a person getting the prog free and then not playing the online version after because they dont like it... if the prog was released with the cost of the monthly subscription taken into account.. erm.. ie. game costs £9.99 a month online, original progs cost £39.96 then give it a four month free online.

The way I see it run at the moment is DAoC cost about £40 and then you only get one free month online... WHY? you cant tell me that the few quid extra per box makes a hell of alot of difference compared to an ongoing fee every month (after the first four). We would all still be paying the update fee's and I for one would feel a heck of alot more comfortable about it all.

Going to the point about alot of mmorpgs being released soon and vieing for the market place, the cost will come down as companies try and get the followers of other games. In the long run costs will come down, but maybe at the cost of game quality... who knows...
Post Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:46 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2