Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Anybody played Dragonshard yet?

nt
Post Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:03 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Yes, I played the demo yesterday, and I have to say that I like it! Havent spent that much time on it yet tho, I had to go serve my lord and master Warcraft. I plan on spending some more time with the demo in the next few days, but it definitely looks like a purrchase.

For those of you who dont know what it is, Dragonshard is a new D&D RTS game. Give it a whirl if you liked Warcraft III, or any of the next-gen RTS games.

Gamespot Preview and gamespace -

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/dragonshard/review.html?tag=boxcar_pc_review_headline
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:23 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Now that Ive played the full version for a couple days, I can safely say that yes, I like the game. Its just fun to play, different from the run of the mill gather- build -attack RTS. You have to RPG out in dungeons for some of the resources you need, and its well, like a D&D RTS game ='.'=

I dont know what to compare it to, because it uses a smattering of this that and the other thing. I havent played Kohan, but I see it compared to that quite a bit.
I think they did a good job on it, its kept me away from WOW for 2 days.

Good community site i happened upon- Dragonshard Enclave

Funny article by a bewildered King experiencing the game
Day of the Munchkins

“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:46 am
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hmm. I can't say I like it. Combat strategy on the fly, such as giving your troops, squad, whatever, various commands and strategizing how to win battles I'm not half bad at. But managing resources and taxes and revenue makes me feel like I'm filling out tax forms for a small yet growing business. Not that I have my own business but thats what it seems like. Coulda been that the strategy games I had played that had those aspects were poorly made. Heh like the Castle series. Don't know if that is the name of it either. And Civilization series. And the various strategy games Sierra made that were set in various time periods.
Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:14 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Youre not talking about Dragonshard, because there is no tax management at all in the game. The only resources are gold, xp, and the "dragonshards" themselves, which rain from the sky occasionally.

My guess is that youre talking about Stronghold II or somthing.
Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:11 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

were can you find the demo? because I looked at the official site but didn't find it there, but I want to try it. plzz someone help me
Post Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:15 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

http://downloads.gamezone.com/demos/d13211.htm
http://www.ausgamers.com/files/details/html/17975
http://www.gamearena.com.au/files/details/html/17975

And I was looking for it for max. 10 seconds ;].
Post Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:29 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Now, now Dani, no need to flaunt your l33t sk1llz.
Post Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:29 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

What I like about the resource model of this game, since it came up, an Im on my lunch break, and just dying to blab about something...

What was I gonna say? Oh yeah, the resource model in this game is a little different from most typical RTS, in that you dont have any real "peon" units running around and chopping wood, mining gold, breakin' rocks in the hot sun, etc. You have three resources, and two of them, gold and XP are gathered by your adventurers as they either explore and conquer the underground dungeon areas on each map, or smack down the local creatures topside as you reveal the map. For gold, it is either dropped, or gathered from chests, or just heaped in piles hoarded by mobs. It's not always as easy as just walking up and looting tho, as alot of chests are locked and/or trapped, thus it's wise to have a high level rogue or two in your army to help with such things.

Xp is "gathered" by solving small side quests or killing things, basically, you know the drill when it comes to D&D xp. With the xp, you get to "level up" whichever of your character-class type troops you want. I personally love the clerics, they chuck gnarly magical hammers in battle, and their healing is definitely handy. Gimme a whole fleet of high level clerics and paladins, and Im good to go.

Dragonshards periodically rain down from the sky in shard storms, and basically every unit gathers these. So, as your running around a map, if you see a pile up shards, just have your crew fill it's pockets and that's that.
Post Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:21 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Sounds like it's a bit more like Majesty then. Hmm... *Downloading demo...*
Post Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:32 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Its very strange that you should mention Majesty, since today I fired it up for the first time in years. I was cleaning up my work pc, and noticed that it was still on there from when I first started a few years ago. So I gave it a whirl, and was sucked back in pretty quick. The sound effects and voices are just great in that game, such personality. Anyway, I never really got through the Northern Expansion, so Im gonna put it on my laptop. I just hope it works with XP, my work pc is ME.

I forget how far the demo goes in Dragonshard, but all the units you can train in the game are basically Captains, in the game. They are the units that you build, and level. As they level they get more abilities of course, but they also get a smaller soldier unit. The higher the level, the more soldiers that have under them, and the soldier units take damage and die before your captain starts taking damage.
Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:47 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Majesty works fine in XP. I've run it before.
Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:53 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Yep, I was very happy to get an affirmative on both Majesty and the expansion both. It's always a joy to play older games on a state of the art pc, they run so quickly and you can crank everything up. Majesty looks really good on the XPS lcd.

Now Ive just got to get the sound editor going, and replace some of the more annoying royal advisor bits, and I'll be all good. While I do love the little quips and responses of all the minions, the advisor is just so damn annoying at times.

By the way, when grabbing the sound editor @ the official site, I checked in the store there, and they have some pretty nice stuff. I think Im gettin that mousepad, and it's cloth top too. The white T-shirt is cool too. And that coffee mug is quite nice, Ive been needing..-

http://www.cafepress.com/cyberlore,cyberlore01#housewares
Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:44 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I got my Majesty mousepads yesterday and theyre AWESOME!

Theyre nice and thick too, about twice the thickness of the flimsy mousepads I've been using for both my home rig and my laptop. Cloth top, there's none of that plastic crapola.
$10.99 aint that bad, they should last awhile.

would make a great gift for a particular kitty, Dhruin ='.'=
Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:57 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Look great, bad that I hate mousepads and I'm quite used to moving my mouse on table.
Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:39 am