Usergroups
Awkward Interface and Instructions
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

It seems to me not only is the interface hard to figure out, but the instructions explaining them are terrible. I've got 2 rusty swords and a pick axe, but I can not figure out how to ready them. I have tried hitting all sorts of keys, but nothing gets me anywhere. I tried opening a chest, but it doesn't say anything like "It's locked" so I don't know if I am doing the right thing. I hear there is climbing, but I can't climb or jump through the mountains. The in game help doesn't do much as far as explaining anything. It seems pretty much a guessing game!

Post Fri Sep 07, 2001 3:52 pm
Alferd
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It's pretty simple.
If you want to use anything (including mountains for climbing), take it in focus and press [action key]. Your character will move closer (at mountains he can climb he will look up). Then press [action key]+[arrow up] and he will use what you have focused.

For equipping weapons you have to unequip the weapon of the same type you are using in the moment. I think [action key]+[arrow down] was the right combination for unequipping. Then just equip other weapons with [action key]+[arrow up].
You can equip a sword and a bow at the same time. In battle you can change weapons by pressing the right number.

[action key] is normaly [CTRL].

For opening closed chests, you need this small hooks of metal (don't know the english word ) in your inventory. Then you have to try to find the right combination of [action key]+[left], [action key]+[up] and [action key]+[right]. You can hear a 'click' when this part of the combination was right and a 'crush' when it was wrong. After a wrong move you have to restart the combination.

I think the instructions are right but I've not played gothic for over two weeks ... so sorry for wrong descriptions.

[edit]:
picklock ... the word was picklock
If you have not learned lockpicking, your picklocks will often be destroyed if you try a wrong combination. So buy as much picklocks as you can.
[/edit]:

[ This Message was edited by: Alferd on 2001-09-07 11:29 ]
Post Fri Sep 07, 2001 4:18 pm
PraetorJudis
Village Leader
Village Leader

Yeah, this demo wasn't meant to be released to the public, so the instructions are minimal. I, too, was confused by the interface at first. However, I perservered and I now find it to be completely natural and fun.

Post Fri Sep 07, 2001 4:42 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Well, I know that when I d/l'ed the demo, I was completely frustrated..I couldn't open the chest, couldn't pick up the pickaxe, nothing!

I came to the gothic boards as a sort of tutorial, and have had nothing but good experiences since then!

BTW: PraetorJ, where are you from? I think I read you're from US, too...just curious as to how many other ppl read these forums that are from the States..

Post Sat Sep 08, 2001 12:35 am
PraetorJudis
Village Leader
Village Leader

Yes ip, I currently reside in the US.

Post Sat Sep 08, 2001 12:48 pm