I'm a cheater
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm a cheater

I don't know why but I cheat my ass off in games. I don't even want to either. But while looking for patches or fa made material I always come across a character editor. I don't go crazy cheating, but I usally bump my stats up a little within the cheating rules I set for myself (like only 2 stat points to add, etc.).

I never cheated before in my life, but POR2 made it so the pregenerated characters started better than the character made ones. That drove me nuts so when someone made an editor I grabbed it and made my characters be able to have the stat buying power of the pregenerated characters. And thatw as it. Until I got bored, then I use more cheats and more cheats.

I never start out with them usually, I wait until I am bored with the game then use it. In IWD2 the Battle Square was driving me crazy, so I decided to give one of my guys some good equiptment to get him through it. That let to a little stat raising. That led to me having more fun with the character editor than actually playing the game.

The only game I do not cheat on is ToEE (well yes I do, I play Ironamn and roll as many times as I want to get the characters I want, and sometimes before my party gets wipped out I'll ctr-alt-del ToEE so I can start again from the last save). I probably would have cheated with ToEE my first time through but the only character editors were hex editors and they are more work than not cheating.

I also use bugs and other game exploits, and usually have a big smile on my face as I do it. Fallout2 comes to mind when I think of exploits and repeting phrases over and over again to get more money.

I was just playing JA2 and having a ball until I was having a hard time taking down the pimp lord guys town. And then I allowed my self to cheat just to get through that one battle, and that led to me cheating in almost every battle until I got bored with the lack of challenge the game offered (because of my cheating). Then I stopped playing.

I also lied. I used the the "Razzle Dazzle Root Beer" cheat in Guest for Glory 1 (when it was Hero's Quest). I used that cheat everytime I've played. I don't know how I know about it either. I probably would have cheated before PoR2 but that was around the time I got internet access. Before that I never had a way to cheat I guess. It must be in my blood. I'm a filthy cheater. I really wish I wasn't, but, like crack, it has hooked me.
Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:13 am
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I rarely cheat in games. The most enjoyable thing about a game is the multitude of different challenges it offers (especially in the case of RPGs, where so many aspects are touched upon, from dialogue and story to combat and character building). Cheating let's you gloss over the rough spots easier. But it's those same rough spots, that when you conquer them, allow you to shout "Victory!"
Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:47 am
Mercenary
Helpful Friend
Helpful Friend

I used to cheat alot but then i found out the games aren't fun that way. I stopped cheating and saw how fun games really are.

-=Captain of Militia of RPGDot Shadows=-
-=Leader of Mercenaries of Gothic Rogues=-
-=Proud member of NFG=-
-=Forever one soul of Seekers of Chromanin=-
Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:11 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

When I first got an internet connection years ago I cheated a lot but now I usually only cheat in GTA3 for ammo. Although, I use exploits whenever I can.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:07 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I agree, cheating wrecks games. I have no idea why I do it. I don't want to. Especially when I'm enjoying the game like ja2. But they put the cheats right in the manual, seductively calling my name. "Roqua! Oh, Roqua! Use me baby. I'll make you feel good, baby." How can I resist that for to long? Especially when one part of the game has you reloading over and over, and it looks like you will have to lose a lot of play time by going back to an earlier save.

My wife says saving and reloading is cheating. She gives me crap all the time about that. But she plays tetris so what the hell does she know?
Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:24 pm
Chandu
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have never used any kind of programs to tweek my characters. I will save and reload if there is random treasure to be found. I figure if the game designers want to make an impossible game to play then I will spam them with emails complaining about it (Wizardry 8 comes to mind there).
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:41 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I usually do not cheat, and even lately do not save either unless necessary. Unfortunately, not saving frequently in Morrowind or Arx Fatalis can lead to an hour of progress being lost in a crash, so there are exceptions of course when it comes to unstable programming. Saving and reloading repeatedly is cheating in my opinion. As the Postal Dude would say "my grandma could beat the game if she saved that much!". I beat Dagoth Ur first try, bloody and bruised, but I did it and it felt really good. Better than beating Diablo on the 10th try. Arx has literally made me shout obscenities at it @ 3 am, stuck again. I pause or shut down the game and storm away for 20 mins or even 20 hours. Upon return, I usually get a moment of clarity (needs to be approached like an adventure game!) and the puzzle is solved. And Im really satisfied, in fact I almost need a smoke after='.'=
If a game bores me, I uninstall it, not worth my time which is of course quite valuable. Frustration and mental exhaustion is as much if not more of an enemy as a clever puzzle or seemingly impossible foe. Patience, young grasshoppah!*gong sound* Being fresh and enthusiastic can solve most puzzles for me, sleeping on it helps even more. I cant say I dislike singleplayer cheaters, that's none of my business, but those who cheat multiplayer should be sentenced to 56k and a Voodoo 2 card for all time. To me, there is no better example of a punk than an online cheat. I can say tho, that sp cheaters are missing out on the true thrill of victory, but hey it's your gaming experience not mine.

But on the other paw, I have no problem cheating on games I feel are unbalanced, or if it is some bargain bin score I just want to see the graphics on. Like Kiss:Psycho Circus. I could care less about the integrity of the gameplay or conquest, I just wanted to see the game's presentation. Like a test drive in a new car to me, I have no problem doing the "give all" cheat, I want to see what the engine under the hood can do. As most people know around here, I'm very into graphics, and simply will not play a game with bad graphx. Dont be looking for any reviews of Geneforge 2 from me. Grossly unbalanced games like Vampire:The Redemption and Evil Islands deserve a cheat code or two to bring them up to snuff, if I dont throw the thing out the window in disgust first. What is the difference between difficult and unbalanced? Quite simply, If the game's enemies are totally overpowered and impossible to a purist player whose done all the right things, I consider it unbalanced. The completely weak un-vampirelike protagonist in V:TR is a perfect example of this. Weakest vampires I have ever seen depicted, ridiculously mortal without some stat and skill boosts IMHO. Then I enjoyed the game, and that's all that counts right?
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:10 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I miss when I was a kid and had no cheat option or web sites to visit to figure puzzles out, or learn a strategy to beat the tough dragons, etc. Really applying yourslef and your mind to figure something out really leaves you with a sense of achievemnt and a great feeling.

Maybe that is why I liked toEE so much. My first time through I saved and reloaded but not once did I cheat or check a web site to figure a tough part out.

But some games are near impossible without cheating. Like wiz 7. I had no money but what money I did have I spent calling the Sirtech help line. Maybe I was just young and dumb, but that game has impossible puzzles.

I really hate cheating, put I am weak willed and impatient. I need will power.
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:36 pm
Scribelus
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Heh heh, a cheat addict!

How about this for therapy? Try making your games more difficult on purpose! I do this more often than I cheat I think. I have to be pretty annoyed before I cheat.

Like as an example, yesterday I was playing GTAIII (on the PC, but I use a joypad for that game). It is more fun if you make it more difficult. Like don't collect any packages (that give weapon pickups etc.). Get all your money from killing gang members on the street, or completing missions. Get guns by killing gang members or buying them in the shops.

So typically you spend time cruising the hostile gang neighborhoods getting shot at, killing gang members and stealing their cash and guns, getting into huge fights and police chases. All sorts of crazy things happen and you die quite a lot. But it keeps the game fresh. Sometimes you wish you could save ten minutes to play back as a movie because it is so crazy. The trick is that you don't have many guns or bulletproof cars. Being vulnerable makes it more exciting.

Or in Morrowind I threw out all my super equipment I'd made, or in KOTOR I take bad party configurations on purpose because my main character is too powerful, in NWN I didn't use any henchmen after the first chapter, in Baldurs Gate I would dump my whole party and go hunting with a bow and spells, etc.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:00 am
XxPublic EnemyxX
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yea i used to cheat in just about every game i played sep for final fantasys, but then one day i stopped cuz I dont have my book and after that i havent cheated on any games.

Now i cant stand cheaters, its alot better owning some one without cheats
Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:16 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Scribelus
Try making your games more difficult on purpose!

Yeah, that's great - if a game will allow me to progress with little or no killing, I'll try it, that usually makes things a bit more challenging (of course, Thief had this factored into the Expert difficulty setting). When I used to play FPS's more often (around the time of Doom, Duke, Outlaws), I'd try to come out of each little set-piece unscathed, reloading the game if I lost too much health or ammo. But this became more of an unshakeable habit than something I enjoyed (y'know, kinda like cheating!); I got bored of this (and of FPS's in general) around the time designers started making that kind of play more of a necessity (I'm so glad Halo threw that style of play out the window!).

In stealthy games, I'll tend to reload my game if I'm spotted at all, even if it's still possible to recover and finish the mission/level. I prefer to have a perfect run (although I'm aware that's not really an accurate description since saving & reloading could be considered a cheat! Or imperfect, at least).

As for GTA3 - have you tried the cheat codes? There's a code to give weapons to everybody on the streets, and another to make them attack anyone near them. Activate both of these, it's amazing. The city becomes more alive and dangerous than you've ever seen it - it's like the old Judge Dredd story, Block Mania! You really have to be on your toes if you run round a corner and bump into an old granny with a flamethrower (there is a cheat to make everyone attack you, but I prefer the free-for-all code, it gives a real chaotic atmosphere to the city - try it while standing atop a moving car).

I have no problem with cheating in singleplayer games, if it's really necessary; I don't like to do it until I've finished the game once (after that, anything goes!) and I will force myself to keep trying if I'm in a frustrating situation (because I know from experience that resorting to a walkthrough or whatever too early will ruin the experience); but the fact remains that sometimes designers mess it up - puzzle solutions can be ridiculously obscure & illogical, battles can be hopelessly unbalanced, players can be forced into unfair situations for no reason. In these cases, I would consider cheats/walkthroughs on my first play.

Examples (and SPOILERS!):

The bit in Planescape:Torment after the alley "gives birth" and you make it into the Lower Ward for the 1st time. Morte goes missing, and anything he is carrying is lost for good. You get no warning, and although essential items will be left behind, some non-essential items that may have a massive impact on the story can be lost. One piece of appalling design in an otherwise almost-perfect game.

In Arx Fatalis, the enforced close-quarters demon battle. Again, a terrible moment in a great game, this reeks of poor foresight and no testing. With some characters, I could only pass it by using the terrain to discover an exploit similar to the old "blind spots" in 80's shoot-em-ups. Not a fair challenge, so why expect players to play fair? This game also had a fair few puzzle solutions that were just too convoluted to figure out without a walkthrough (the black beast chase springs to mind).

(end of spoilers)

I've never had to resort to a cheat (only walkthroughs, so far) when I've seemingly hit a brick wall, but I did recently use an infinite ammo cheat in Unreal 2. Not because of excessive difficulty, I just wasn't that bothered about the game and if it had demanded too much hard work from me I probably would have ditched it. It was a bit of a yawn-fest IMO, and only the fact that I could use all my guns to my heart's content kept me interested.

I've never understood people who always cheat from the outset, it totally defeats the object. Why play at all? And multiplayer cheaters don't deserve to live. Clearly starved of attention form mommy, but that's their problem and I don't want to find out about it in the middle of an online fragfest - especially when I've just landed a sniper bullet right in the middle of their sickening, dishonourable, cheating face.

Ahem... that happened once in MOHAA, I sniped a guy enough for about twenty kills and he just kept running about happy as larry. I (and subsequently others) hurled so much abuse at the yellow swine, he eventually turned the cheats off, his score hit rock-bottom and he quit. He was so upset, he got hammered on tequila and meths, and drowned in his own cowardly vomit (OK, I made up the last sentence, but the rest is true )
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:47 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

The only game I played with cheats was Severance Blade of Darkness. D*mn, that game was hard. Untill I figured out how those creatures were fighting (pretty bad AI) and then I finished it without cheats as the Barbarian.
But I preferred playing it with cheats, it was just too hard for me.
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:27 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Thinking back, I guess I cheated my tail off at the beginning of Baldurs Gate because the storyline didnt make sense. Here I supposedly was, on this huge crusade, sent by the brass of the kingdom on a mission of life or death. Yet for some reason, they dont equip me? They really give me no money, weapons, or armor? This has been my problem with game storylines in general in the past. Oft times you are sent on some vastly important, difficult, and dangerous mission to combat what is arguably the biggest threat to civilization at the time in any given kingdom. Yet the King/Leader/CIA or whatever, usually an entity with vast resources, gives you practically no cash or equipment to start your journey with. Why the heck is the Chosen One scurrying around looking thru barrels and stealing anything that isnt nailed down, just so he can save the world? Its never made sense to me, and when it came to BG, I called up old "Uncle Midas D. Cheat" to set me up with some funds so I wasnt starting my journey wearing a loincloth and weilding a can opener.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:46 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
Why the heck is the Chosen One scurrying around looking thru barrels and stealing anything that isnt nailed down, just so he can save the world? Its never made sense to me...

I agree wholeheartedly, and IMO the same goes for the usual practise of killing whole forests-full of badgers and worms, and actually worrying about them killing you, before a realistic low-level opponent (like, say, a goblin) emerges. I hate that, I really do. I find it ludicrous and humiliating.
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:15 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
starting my journey wearing a loincloth and weilding a can opener.

Now that's an image I won't be getting out of my head anytime soon.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:48 am