Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
CRPG Elements, What's Most Important To You?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

What's The Most Important Element Of A CRPG To You?
Overall Interesting Story/Plot
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
Complex Character Development (race, profession, attributes, skills etc.)
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
Object/World Interactivity & Item/Spell Creation (i.e. baking bread, create or enchant weapons etc.)
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Sophisticated NPCs (complex dialog/AI, daily schedules etc.)
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
Party Based Game (Player Controls More Than One Character)
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Guilds/Factions (ability to join guilds/factions and gain rank)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Complex/Numerous Quests (game is quest-oriented, and quests are not fed-exish)
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Recognized Rule System (i.e. D & D, Greyhawk etc.)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Complex Physics System (i.e. burn down a house, roll a barrel down a hill, watch it smash on a rock)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Continuous World (no levels, no level loading)
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Elegant/Sophisticated interface (easy and fast access to large database of info)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Complex Day/Night & Weather System that affects world/NPCs etc. (i.e. tornado blowing through town, NPCs hide)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ability to create or use fan-based 'mods.'
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Housing (ability for the player to acquire/earn/create an in-game house and decorate it with stuff)
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 28

Author Thread
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

CRPG Elements, What's Most Important To You?

Thought I'd make a poll to get an idea of how other people rank certain elements of CRPGs (single-player games only).

I don't propose a complete or comprehensive list of elements here, so apologies in advance if I leave something out that's important to you.

If your answer is not in my list, feel free select 'other' and jot it down in a reply. But if you can, please phrase your answer in a clear and concise single-sentence. A single word or phrase would be appreciated.

Also, please understand that by making ONE choice doesn't indicate that that is all you care about. Most people would probably like to see many of these elements in a CRPG.

Imagine that you are at a computer store looking at the feature list on the back of a box of a CRPG game that you had never heard of before. Which ONE of these elements that I have listed would stick out to you the MOST that might prompt you to possibly purchase the game?

For me, it's Object/World Interactivity & Item/Spell Creation (i.e. baking bread, create or enchant weapons etc.). If a game touts that feature, I find myself strongly compelled to check it out simply based on that alone. Now, if I could only afford to be a cumpulsive buyer...
Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:08 pm
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

I voted Character Development, which includes, I think, Character Generation, because it is in my opinion the core feature that every role playing experience is built upon. My second vote would go to story/plot.
Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:56 pm
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I am an explorer, so I want a huge world with differnt regions (dessert, forest, snow capped mountians), and huge dungeons. The more regions and area types the better.
LB
Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:05 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

To be honest, I'd be interested if any of the above (except Party Based Game and Recognized Rule System, and maybe Guilds/Factions) were done very well, but that doesn't answer the question...

So if I had to choose one, I'd say Other: Varied Gameplay (multiple-solution events; gameplay changes significantly according to character abilities)

I suppose that overlaps in little ways with a lot of the categories, and it often goes hand-in-hand with good character creation/development, but not always. Favourites in this respect are: Ultima Underworld, Deus Ex, Arx Fatalis, and to a lesser extent, PS:T and Fallout.

TheMadGamer, I didn't vote, as there is no "other" selection on the poll.
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:45 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Oh... damn, that's hard to decide between.

Although PC devlopment is probably the most important, I have to give some recognition to the NPCs, which IMO is almost as important. They are the most deciding factor for the actual immension of the game.
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:36 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hmmm

Ok now so far 8 of you have placed a vote. But from my experience here on these boards over the years, I know for a fact that there are many more opinionated people here! So please, cast your vote!!
Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:03 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

The reason why I like RPGs is because they include so many elements. They are a good example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. So, it's hard to isolate and pick one element. Most, if not all, of them are important. Perhaps to varying degrees, but I've liked games that are stronger or slightly weaker on story, or heavier on combat, or less on combat, better on character creation and development, or not so good, but carried by other well-done elements.

Rather, I think a good RPG should include the following:

1. Rich history and an alluring, atmospheric, detailed world. An interactive world.
2. Emphasis on the plot and making the player’s character(s) critical to the plot; the player should be an active participant, not an observer.
3. A good combat system. Because RPGs typically have a lot of combat, having fun combat is essential.
4. Detailed but easy-to-understand character building. It should make sense. It should also be forgiving. Complexity should be put "under-the-hood," making accessibility easy, and tweaking possible for those who wish to customize their character more.
5. Well-written and useful dialogue that applies to the situation and the type of character the player wishes to play; informative, but not oppressive.
6. Decent graphics. Not necessarily the best, but not the worst. Better graphics are a plus, but when I play an RPG, I play for the story and experience, not the graphics.
7. A unique atmosphere and feel to the game.

(I've posted these before, but the most enjoyable games, for me, have usually included the above. Not just one or two of these elements.)
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:55 am
mkreku
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Gaah! Tough choice, because for me the game world is the most important. But the game world has to be "alive", meaning it has to have some physics (preferrably realistic), lots of characters going around and lots and lots of special places to discover, break into, climb up on et cetera. If it is continuous, like in Gothic: even better! I hated the "load every stupid little hut or cave"-system Morrowind had. I want to be able to look out of a window of the house I am in and see the world outside.

So I chose "Continuous world" and I am sure I'll be the only one who choose that. But I guess that was the closest alternative to what is most important for me.
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:04 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Good points

quote:
Originally posted by Namirrha
...Perhaps to varying degrees, but I've liked games that are stronger or slightly weaker on story, or heavier on combat, or less on combat, better on character creation and development, or not so good, but carried by other well-done elements...

Yes, I agree and I find myself doing this sort of mental ping pong all the time with games... sorting out what a CRPGs strong points are relative to my own personal list of importance and determining if there is enough there that is interesting to make the purchase. Probably most gamers go through a similar process.

But for the purposes of this poll, I'm really trying to isolate that one key element of CRPGs that is most exciting to you... not to say that if that were the only element in a CRPG you'd rush out and buy it, but would certainly strongly tempt you to do so.
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:42 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

We are similar

quote:
Originally posted by mkreku
Gaah! Tough choice, because for me the game world is the most important. But the game world has to be "alive", meaning it has to have some physics (preferrably realistic), lots of characters going around and lots and lots of special places to discover, break into, climb up on et cetera. If it is continuous, like in Gothic: even better! I hated the "load every stupid little hut or cave"-system Morrowind had. I want to be able to look out of a window of the house I am in and see the world outside.

Based on what you wrote, we are very similar in our CRPG taste. I know a poll sorta forces a choice when perhaps the choice isn't completely 100% reflective of your preferences, but based on what you wrote here, it makes a lot of sense and I couldn't agree more.
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:46 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by piln
TheMadGamer, I didn't vote, as there is no "other" selection on the poll.

Grrr. I thought I put that choice in there. I'm sorry about that... I can't seem to figure out how to edit my poll list, is there a way?
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:51 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Well, if it comes down to it, interesting and novel plots can practically make me buy the game on the spot. I can live with mediocre combat, stifled world interaction, and somewhat less developed character creation and development as long as everything else supports one element well. Even Diablo 2 offers interesting and detailed character building, but it doesn't give me as much enjoyment as a game like Gothic or Baldur's Gate 2 does.
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:26 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Observation

Although there are only 12 votes to this point, I find it interesting that no one has picked, 'Elegant/Sophisticated interface (easy and fast access to large database of info).' This is one aspect of CRPG development that is highly focused upon here in the U.S. It is also the single largest point of contention with American reviewers of the Gothic series.

Please note, this poll wasn't made to build a case about the Gothic series. I just noticed this as an early observation.
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:50 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Complex character developement is most important for me.
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:28 am
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Oh Jeez c'mon people!

I have seen so many opinions expressed on these boards over the years, but it seems people are afriad to cast a vote.

I KNOW FOR A FACT you people are highly opinionated about CRPGs so PRETTY PLEASE cast your vote!!!

Thank you!
Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:20 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next