Underpowered!!!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - General

Author Thread
Swordplayer
City Guard
City Guard

Underpowered!!!!

I've been creating assasins with magic backup but they become underpowered. I use a bow and a sword with sneak for critical damage but when i get to about level 5 after increasing my magic skills to journeyman for better spells (conjuration for distractions and because i love pets).
Then when i stealth attack someone with a bow they lose a small amount of heatlh spot me and because i wear light armor they murder me up close.

Anyone got any advice?
Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:35 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

I've been playing a stealth/marksman combo exclusively up to now.
In dungeons, you should try to stay in the darkest possible spot and at the same time as far away as possible when launching your first attack.
Elsewise, i.e. if your cover gets blown, all you really need to do is kite, kite, kite.
You need to be careful to not cause too much aggro from other mobs so you should pay attention to staying in a relatively confined space.
Running up and down corridors in dungeons works pretty well (you will only get hit when turning around at one end of the corridor) or running up and down the roads in the wilderness or running in circles/squares.
Note that you can also use Imperial guards for help in the wild. If you kite an enemy to a near-by road, you can always try to find a guard to help you.

Well, it's pretty simple, really... just try to not get hit .
Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:41 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

I had the same problem with my mage character before he got better spells, that is, each cast would take away about 5% of an enemy's health.

The problem is that when your skills increase, the damage you do doens't directly increase with them, so until I could afford better spells, I was still pumping out low damage against consistently stronger opponents. Though I haven't played a thief/marksman character, I'm assuming you're facing the same trouble, so I'd suggest just moving the difficulty meter down about 2-3 tiny notches. This will spot you so that you'll enjoy combat more because it will still be a challenge but it won't be tiresome until you can find some better gear (analagous to my better spells as a mage type) at which point you can move the difficulty back up.
Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:03 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

The other alternative, is to use a mod which increases either spell or arrow damage!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:59 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

On the other hand, it may be viewed as realistic. I mean, in cases of fights, non-fighter characters tend to be weaker.
Post Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:17 am
Swordplayer
City Guard
City Guard

I've enchanted my staff with soul trap to enchant my bow to dish out more damage, which helps and i'm training my illusion (currently 42) to 50 so i can buy chameleon and enchant my hood so i'm harder to spot.

I have the game on the 360 so i can't use mods.
Post Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:15 pm
HoLoPo1nT
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I've played a Dunmer Agent for almost 30 levels now who's only combat weapon has been a bow.

You have to run-turn-fire-turn-run-nock arrow-turn-fire-turn-run-nock arrow, etc, etc in tight spots. Don't expect to be able to stand right in front of an adversary and go toe to toe while wielding a bow...even rats and mud crabs will tear you down quickly in that situation if it takes you more than a couple arrows to kill them.

In wide open spots you can kite your adversaries much easier but there are tons of obstacles that you can get caught up on so you always have to try to pay attention to terrain.

Terrain is another key factor in general...always try to find a spot to fire from that will be difficult for an enemy to reach...this gives you time to whittle their health down a bit before having to kite.

Remember that in dungeons you can always drag an opponent outside instead of fighting it in the confines of the dungeon proper. This is different from Morrowind where NPC's did not transition from one area to another while pursuing you.

Dragging them outside allows you to pick the terrain and can offer a significant advantage versus slower opponents as well as even the odds versus those with a similar movement rate to your own.

Another tactic that has saved my skin many a time is the full out flee-while-chain-healing-self stratagem. This will help raise your Restoration (and give you good Willpower mods at level up) as well as give you another edge in combat. Once you get back up to a comfortable health level in this situation you can start kiting again.

I've tried coupling Destruction spells with bow attacks while kiting and this can be helpful too if you dont need the magicka points for healing...but it can be a little tricky as far as controls are concerned.

Something I did just recently and I feel has helped a lot is enchanting armor items with Luck bonuses. With a Luck of 98 I seem to do more damage with arrows, stay hidden more often than not, knock-down/paralyze my opponents more often, and take less damage in combat when a mob gets close enough to hit me. I recently raised Luck from the 60 I had had since character creation and I'm happy I did so.

HoLo
Post Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:02 pm
Swordplayer
City Guard
City Guard

Thanks I never thought of that. Another good side to luck is you get better loot. And restoration is easy to increase so i can get a fortify luck spell to use for enchanting.
Post Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:03 pm