Which was your favorite installment of Might & Magic and
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Which was your favorite installment of Might & Magic and

I've never played any of the might & magic games. I've always seen them but the thought of turn-based action always turned me away. However, I have recently played Wizardry 8, a game I thought I would never play, and loved it. So I've decided to pick up a might & magic game.

Do the might & magic games play like Wizardry 8?

What I enjoy are classic style dungeons like those in Ultima 9. I was a bit disappointed by the neo dungeons in Wizardry 8. I want the old run of the mill caves that go deep into the lair of some fire breathing dragon. I didn't really like fighting people for bosses like in Ultima 9. I'm also looking for a King Arthur setting with a bit of true fantasy. For instance, seeing aliens and other races like in Wizardry 8 was cool but kinda strayed off from the traditional setting of goblins, liches, orcs, dragons, etc. I also believe that music plays a major role in my immersion for a game. Nothing like classic ultima 9 ascension songs that are played with the instruments of their time. Defintely do not want to be listening to heavy metal while I'm slashing some goblin. Lastly, I love kickass and godly magic spells that look neat and sound cool. I loved the way lightning looked and how it cracked like in Ultima 9 and Wizardry 8.

So if you were to take into account all these personal tastes of mine, which of the might & magic installments would you guys recommend?

Name your favorite installment and why along with your recommendation for the might & magic installment that YOU think I would like. Thanks.
Post Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:04 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Given your preferences, I'm not certain M&M will completely fit the bill for you, but you'll be able to find them dirt cheap so it wouldn't be too costly to try anyway.

I prefer MM7 (For Blood and Honor). Character development is more complex in that one than MM6, which would be a close 2nd place in my mind. The advantage of MM6 is that it's very large-- lots of extended dungeon crawls.

MM8 wasn't bad, but I thought it was a definite step back from 7. It's shorter, easier, and you recruit your party one character at a time (which I hated).

MM9 is a crime against humanity. Avoid it.

I think the M&M series has a fair bit of the old school RPG feel that Wiz8 did. The whole series is kinda ugly graphically, but they're just a blast to play. Until Wiz8 came along, MM7 was my all-time favorite game.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:02 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I agree with dteowner, MM7 is easily the best of the series. The graphics are definitely not as polished as Wizardry 8, but the gameplay is solid. Might and Magic 6 was also excellent, but I felt it was a little to long. MM8 was ok, but was kind of dumbed down and not as good as 6 and 7.

If you liked Wizardry 8 by all means play MM7.
Post Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:05 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Add me to the above list. I agree totally. You also could consider Wiz 7 which is available as Abandonware I believe. If you enjoyed U9 (which I didn't) have you tried the earlier Ultimas? Perhaps Underworld 1&2 might be considered.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:55 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Can't add much to dte's description of 6 versus 7 versus 8.

My vote would be for 7, with 6 running a very close second. 4, 4a and 5 are good, but not any where near as developed as 6-8.

7 is slightly more refined ... there are maximum skill levels based on class (so not everyone can become a master (or grandmaster) in dagger) ... and the game is shorter. You can easily have over 100 levels when you finish 6, but you kinda have to work at getting over 50 in 7 ... so six is MUCH bigger. The graphics are slightly better in 7. Also, the story in 7 is slightly better ... but you loose some of the old style puzzles (not always a bad thing).
Post Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:28 pm
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I got the most fun out of M&M 5,6,7. 8 was okay as well but I wouldn't start there. If graphics don't put you off and if you haven't tried it yet I would recommend Wizardry 6 - it is probably the best in the series due to it's pacing, it doesn't drag on like 7&8 do in some places and there are less sci-fi elements.

Another one which might interest you is Ravenloft:The Stone Prophet, while it is not turn based, it has great dungeons and one of the best storylines I've come across in an rpg. It didn't get very good reviews, however I attribute that to reviewers not completing the entire game as the start of the game is a bit weak.
Post Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:51 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

You can get the 'millenium' edition - which is #4, 5, 6, 7 as a collection for pretty cheap on eBay at this point ... that is what I recently did, just haven't been able to play yet.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:44 pm
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Okay, I'll answer the question that you asked in the subect line first: My favorite game in the whole Might and Magic series is Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra. Why? It has some very memorable dungeons and puzzles. I also like the cheesy animation of the old dos-based game.

That said, I agree with everyone else here: play Might and Magic 7 if you're going to pick one game in the whole series. It has a good class progression, it's big without being huge and it's a blast to play. MM3 is a little long in the tooth nowadays
Post Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:24 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

@crpgnut - I remember MM 3 very fondly ... except for some of the blasted riddles!! There is one (I can't recall what it was) that stumped me both times through. Never did finish it, although I had a lot of fun with it.
Post Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:10 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

I like

Might & Magic 2-7

1 is too old
8 too easy
9 is unfinished

I recommend to play in the the following order

3,4,5 (4+5=World of Xeen), 6,7

at last 2 - this game is endless and very hard to beat.
Post Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:50 pm
Amelia
City Guard
City Guard

M&M 3 is my favorite but for someone new to the series I would recommend starting with seven of eight as it may be easier to connect with. I wouldn't underestimate 3 - 5 though. The one I haven't played is Swords of Xeen, machine always crashes after entering the portal. I'm a bit curious about the game itself - hmm?
Post Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:46 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I think you would like the game wizards and warriors a lot. It has neat dungeons and puzzles, a party etc.

Its a lot like might and magic really. Its by the guy who did wizardry 7
Post Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:50 pm
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Omg, wizards and warriors looks awesome. This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Thanks alot mighty stamar. Just ordered it from ebay . I'll let you guys know what I think after a I play her. Thanks again.
Post Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:21 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Buy a can of Raid. You're buying a box full of bugs...

W&W could have been a great game. I don't know whether to blame DWB or Activision, but the bottom line is that the game was released about 6 months too early and then didn't get much support.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:22 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

yw

I personally played it after wizardry 8 because might and magic 7 didnt run on my computer right and i already play mm 8.

I tried mm 9 also I can say that overall its more complete than mm9. Similar in many ways also

I had a lot of fun with it there is an active message board for it at ironworks.

It has incomplete parts but nothing like the game dungeon lords that the company just put out. I mean it has a cool story funny parts and is very challenging. It is mainly the dungeons but the outside world is cool too.

I didnt like it like wizardry 8 its not an epic like wizardry 8 or might and magic 8 even its not that long. But it seems exactly like you wanted. Its a really 3d dungeon game. It seems like in tech somewhere between might and magic 8 and 9. People call it wizardry 7.5 or so

Its all fantasy too. I like it a lot I would give it about 75% rating. It has incomplete parts and bugs and u even have to convert parts of it to play in xp though. Parts are even like unplaytested and very hard but in the end its part of the challenge of it. Wait till u see the plants near the castle and u have to run around them because they are ranged instant death. Its a thrill lol. You even have to build your characters up to survive running away from them lol its crazy. Whenever you see them on the horizon its like " OH NO NOT THOSE THINGS ARGH WHEN DID I SAVE?@ loloool
Post Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:36 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next