Usergroups
Developer thread: "Differences between Gothic I and II&
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Gor Na Katarn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

First of all if I wanted to get to a conference like e3 or GDC or devcon, I'd have to walk, since I'm barely 13. Then I'd have to smash my bloated plastic money holder, and get some bills from hidden places. Then I'd have to sneak in by bribing as many people as I can to avoid conflict, and get one of my dad's ties and go Metal Gear Solid Freestyle as seen here: http://www.gamespy.com/dailyvictim/index.asp?id=331
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:59 am
KaiRo
Piranha Bytes
Piranha Bytes

@God Na Katarn:

hehe. well, once you'd be in there, you woudn't arouse suspicion. anyone would think you're one of the guys who promote MGS on the exposition . but i'd advise you not waste all your money. the only thing that's really worth the admission fee is the opportunity to chat with other developers and peek on their upcoming projects. the exposition itself is rather boring. just like any other exposition. lots of stands, lots of people, lots of merchandising...

well, am i just imagining or are we getting a bit off-topic?
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:16 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by KaiRo

well, am i just imagining or are we getting a bit off-topic?

Iīll inform you if one of the moderators thinks you are too far off-topic.

To finish the story Gor Na Katarn started:
Legend Entertainment used the Unreal Engine for <i>Wheel of Time</i>. Although it didnīt sell that good the critics gave it rave reviews. If you take into account Legendīs experience with the Unreal engine and their proven track record of more than a dozen games with brilliant storytelling (==> Infocom!), good graphics and innovative interfaces itīs no surprise Epic asked them to develop Unreal II.
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 4:04 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

C'mon guys, throw me a bone here! Will there be any mention of CROMAMIN in Gothic 2?

Last edited by JDR13 on Tue Jul 30, 2002 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 5:58 am
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

Re: dx7

hi ixos,

> is DX7 in Gothic2 used simply because an engine relying on it would be fast for any system having to use DX7
Microsoft changed a lot on the way from seven to eight. Upgrading the renderer only wouldn't help because the rest of the engine is optimized for the way how DX7 works...

> are textures much higher in detail simply because of the limitations of DX7?
The texture resolution has nothing to do with DX7. Nowadays we can assume the 'average player' has an gfx card with 32MB (unlike Gothic I).

> will Gothic2 use 3D-sound? (5.1)
We are using an third party sound library. Don't know if it does support 5.1 directly.

> how many polygons/frame is the Gothic2 engine capable of?
That depends on your hardware/OS/drivers/configuration. One could have the best specs, but one could configure a machine to death - therefore no real answer to your question. There will be no benchmark until optimizations are finished.

> if I said Gothic1 was the best game I have ever played, would you send me a Gothic2 demo tomorrow?
nope

- nico
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:41 am
ixos
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

That's good enough for me!

Many thanks.
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:10 am
MrSparkle125
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Since we find out what the sleeper is, and we see what happens to it, what happens to the sect camp now that they have nothing to pray to?

Also i was wondering if the sect camp does break up does that mean the end of swamp weed?

If swamp weed isn't gone where will we be able to get it?
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 11:27 am
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

At the end of Gothic I, my human enemies were sprinting away from me at speeds I'll never be able to a achieve without speed potions.

Will this be the same in Gothic 2? Can armor and inventory weight affect speed at all? Will I be able to drop everything and sprint as fast as those guys? (without speed potions of course)
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 5:29 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

In a recent Gothic 2 screenshot I noticed that the hero was ponytail-less. Did he get a hair-cut?
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 5:41 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Interactivity

Hi. First of all, Gothic I is an awesome game. I think the last time I had the 'feeling' that I had while playing Gothic I was when I played old games like Ultima 7 and Ultima Underworld I. Gothic I really captures a certain kind of game magic that has been missing for a long time. Ok now for some questions...

1) I get the feeling that you all were playing games like Ultima VII and Ultima Underworld when I was playing them... over 10 years ago now. Are these the kind of games that inspired your design decisions when you made Gothic I? If the answer is yes, does this continue to be the case with Gothic 2?

2) The amount of detail you included in Gothic I was the first of two things that really gripped me with Gothic I. For example, not only did Gothic I have a full day/night cycle which included a sun and a moon that would move across the sky... not only did Gothic I have weather effects such as a cloudy sky, rain, and the occasional 'dome storm...,' but it also had shooting stars that you could see on a clear night. That simple little detail put so much magic into the world. The shooting stars at night really made me feel like I was on a real planet in a real universe. Then of course, were the NPCs, with their daily schedules and various activities they would engage in (fixing up a hut, hammering a sword on an anvil, talking to each other, smoking etc.). The first time an NPC asked me for a beer, and I actually had one in my inventory and was able to give him a beer, surprise surprise he actually drank it before continuing the conversation with me. These are just some of the details in Gothic I and they were pure 'magic.' Will you be expanding on these types of details with Gothic 2? If so, can you sneak a few of these details to us now?

3) Somebody earlier in this thread asked about 'interactivity' but I guess the question was somewhat confusing. For me, the extra level of interactivity in Gothic I over other similar type games was the second thing that really gripped me with the game. It is true that an RPG by nature is 'interactive' in that you talk to NPCs, have an inventory comprised of objects you find within the world, slay monsters, equip weapons and armor and so on. But when I say 'extra interactivity,' what I mean is that Gothic I had a much higher level of 'object interactivity.' You could see a frying pan on a campfire, and if you had raw meat in your inventory, you could fry that raw meat and make it into cooked meat. If you had a spoon in your inventory, you could stir a cauldron. If you had the raw materials, you could use equipment at a forge (anvil, grinder, water bucket). Most RPGs out on the market, when it comes to object interactivity, pretty much limit things to opening/closing a door or examining the contents of a barrel. But in Gothic I, you had a fair number of 'extra interactivity' or 'object interactivity' which as I said before, had a huge impact on me and my desire to play Gothic I to completion. With Gothic 2, do you plan leave the original types of object interactivity in the game (such as the few examples I mentioned above). Do you plan to expand object interactivity? If so, can you leak any details to us now?

3) Maps. The idea of maps you could get from NPCs in Gothic I was a novel idea, but a bit cumbersome for the player. To use a map I'd have to access my inventory, find the map, and then use it. Then there was a small 3 to 5 second delay while the map loaded and I was able to view it. While the idea of obtaining a map in game and then carrying that map as an object in your inventory is 'realistic,' it wasn't really that 'fun' (for me anyway). Gothic 2 should just have a world map that you can call up with the press of a button. It would be much more practicial, especially if the world of Gothic 2 is going to be as big as you say it's going to be. You could make it where you have to obtain this world map from an NPC and then carry it in your inventory. But once you have the map, you could just press a button to activate it. For example, pressing F2 would call up the map.

4) Will gothic 2 have a compass? I had a hard time in Gothic I determining which direction I was facing. A Compass on screen would have been nice. You could even make a compass an object you have to acquire and hold in your inventory... but once you had a compass you could choose to display it (or not display it) on the main game screen.

5) Will Gothic 2 include a sextant that could give you the exact coordinates of where you are in the world? This is useful for finding your way back to areas you'd like to explore as you are passing through them on your way to somewhere else.

6) Will Gothic 2 include clocks or a watch so that you know what time it is? Even if the time of day has no relevence in the game (like shooting stars), I just hate it when I can't find out what time it is... I had the same gripe with Ultima IX.
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:04 pm
Sascha Henrichs
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: Interactivity

quote:
Originally posted by Neptiofpovar

1) Are these the kind of games that inspired your design decisions when you made Gothic I?
2)Will you be expanding on these types of details with Gothic 2? If so, can you sneak a few of these details to us now?
3)With Gothic 2, do you plan leave the original types of object interactivity in the game (such as the few examples I mentioned above). Do you plan to expand object interactivity? If so, can you leak any details to us now?
3) Maps.
4) Will gothic 2 have a compass?
5) Will Gothic 2 include a sextant
6) Will Gothic 2 include clocks or a watch

hello Neptiofpovar,(and all others)
since it is the 5th day i'm answering questions (not only here but also at www.worldofgothic.com too !) we are getting a bit tired in answering.
i hope you are not angry if we do not answer every question anymore in the next time.
my work had a nearly standstill for now 2 days
i would suggest to close this thread in the next day since many questions are now answered.
if you really got some interesting question you can also ask it in a seperate thread. normally we are reading at rpg dot, everyday!
but in future there will be also another developer thread with another subject you will choose!

but here to the last questions:

@ Neptiofpovar
1. well i think not only these games inspired us, but every single rpg we played in our life. every game leaves behind a unique picture, of how an rpg should be.
all these pictures fitted together will be the very master rpg ever seen.
no one could ever do it, because nobody will pay such a monster project.
so we took some element which we decided to be ok, and then simply made it.
since it was our first project, the first versions of this game were horrible, but as i can see from you reactions, we finally made a good game, some people like very much. that is what we wanted to do
2.there are some more details...better sky with gradient, wind weaving vegetation, waves in the sea, big real looking woods...etc...
3.there are no big changes in the object interactivity....some but not noticable.
4.no
5.no
6.also no, since watches are not usual in a mediaval kind of rpg...
you can activate a permanent watch via console! also in gothic 1...i forgot the command, was it : toggle time
well try this..

btw. we are happy that so many people liked gothic that much, thank you, you are a great motivation
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:57 pm
Sascha Henrichs
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Val
In a recent Gothic 2 screenshot I noticed that the hero was ponytail-less. Did he get a hair-cut?

we are thinking about this, because the hair comes out of some helmets of the new amours
at the moment he is short haired, yes...
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:59 pm
Sascha Henrichs
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Erb Duchenne
At the end of Gothic I, my human enemies were sprinting away from me at speeds I'll never be able to a achieve without speed potions.

Will this be the same in Gothic 2? Can armor and inventory weight affect speed at all? Will I be able to drop everything and sprint as fast as those guys? (without speed potions of course)

sprinting not allowed for heroes! only with speed potion
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:01 pm
Gor Na Katarn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

bah! no sprinting
Post Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:28 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
Originally posted by Sascha Henrichs
i would suggest to close this thread in the next day since many questions are now answered.
if you really got some interesting question you can also ask it in a seperate thread. normally we are reading at rpg dot, everyday!
but in future there will be also another developer thread with another subject you will choose!

Closed by official request.
So if you have other questions for the Gothic devs, ask them in separate threads please or wait for the next dev thread ...
Post Wed Jul 31, 2002 6:06 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9