Dune v's Dune
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

Dune v's Dune

Another thread on this forum got me thinking so instead of hijacking that one I thougt I'd start my own (probably only the second thread I have ever started )

So which do you prefer

- Dune made in the 1984 staring Kyle MacLachlan
- The new TV mini series made in 2000 staring Alec Newman (and the follow up Children of Dune)

I know it's unfair to compair Children of Dune as that is based on the 2 and 3 books but the comparison are fair between the 2 Dunes.

Personally I like both but if pushed I think I'd choose the movie as it came first and Paul was more likeable (and the worms were done better). But the TV series was closer to the books and in general seemed more faithful.

So anyone got any thoughts or shall I delete this now to save myself the embarrassment
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:58 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

There's no need to be embarrassed!

I liked both of these versions as well. And I agree that the movie was better. I thought Paul was quite the whiner in the TV series. I wanted to smack him around a couple of times. I did like the greater detail and the acting of some of the characters more in the TV series than the movie, but that's probably because those characters got more screen time in the series. Thus, they were more interesting. There are good and bad points to both, but if the movie had had more time to tell the story like the TV series, then the movie probably would be a more clear winner.
Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:34 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

You know Val I'm starting to think that our DVD collections must look very similar

TBH I think it was the whiney Paul that makes me prefer the Movie. I also have the TV edit of the movie which has added scenes and removes Irulans opening speech. I think the original is best as that speech at the begining helps create the operatic scene that the rest of the movie follows. I agree that certain character were done better on the TV (partly due to there increased roles). I think Stilgar was better but I'm sorry Gurney Halleck will always be Patrick Stewart.

I just watched Children of Dune I must say I was impressed - seems quite faithful to the books and I really hope they produce a 3rd and finsih the original series of books off (although that may require 2 more mini series)
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:49 pm
Amelia
City Guard
City Guard

I prefer the David Lynch version, but really, it would of been incredible if Jodorowsky actually completed the project instead of Lynch.

Alejandro Jodorowsky's Dune - "In development from 1974 to '77, the film was to have featured Orson Welles, David Carradine (hot off the Kung Fu series), Gloria Swanson, Amanda Lear and Salvador Dali as a mad emperor who sits upon a toilet throne. With art design by H.R. Giger and special effects by Dark Star's Dan O'Bannon who both soon after worked together on Alien. Music was to be by Pink Floyd, Tangerine Dream and French prog rockers Magma. One can only imagine." - Pimpadelic Wonderland

Salvador Dali as the Emperor who reins from a toilet seat? I'm down.
Post Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:38 am
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

I prefer Dune 2000. I'm for playing instead of watching.

Problem is that I have no idea wheater I watched the movie or a DVD with just all the series combined. I know it was with William Hurt as the Duke of Artreides in the beginning. Since I have not watched the other movie/series (I don't know what I missed) I can not form a real opinion about it.
NFG member
Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:15 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by Kendrik
You know Val I'm starting to think that our DVD collections must look very similar

Heh, apparently.

quote:
I think Stilgar was better but I'm sorry Gurney Halleck will always be Patrick Stewart.

Oh, heck yeah. He's the only guy who could ever pull off this line: "Behold, as a wild ass in the desert, go I forth to my work."

quote:
I just watched Children of Dune I must say I was impressed - seems quite faithful to the books and I really hope they produce a 3rd and finsih the original series of books off (although that may require 2 more mini series)

I watched that part of the series last year and just like the book, I wasn't as happy about the second part of the story. I guess I like happy endings too much. Still, it was impressive.

@Amelia: That would be one freaky version of Dune.
Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:59 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

I like both the SCI-FI miniseries and the David Lynch movie.

I'd have to go with the Lynch movie because I have seen it since I was a kid.

Still, I hope they make "God Emperor of Dune" into a mini-series. I love all the books, especially the Frank Herbert originals.

By the way, did you know that they are re-releasing Lynch's Dune on DVD? It's going to have either 60 or 90 minutes of extra footage. This sounds like the SCI-FI version they were airing a few years ago...though possibly longer. The only thing I did not like about that version was that they did not get more music by Toto(I hate the band but that soundtrack was awesome).

Recently, I picked up Brian Herbert's biography for his father..."Dreamer of Dune"!

Have you guys read "Saga of the Seven Sun" by Kevin J. Anderson? It's like a mixture of his Star Wars and Dune work. It's really good. Obviously, nothing touches Frank Herbert's novels though. Of those six, I like 1-4 the best!

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:35 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:12 am
Fez
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I'd go for the old Dune film if I had to choose. The books are far better though and the only Dune worth seeing. None of the live action does it justice.
Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:50 am