Seriously now; what do you think of Morrowind
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

Seriously now; what do you think of Morrowind

Ok, you've had a chance to play Morrowind for a while now (everyone except me that is); so truthfully now, what do you think of the game? I've heard everything from slow framerate to meaningless combat, and from poor NPC interaction to stupid quests. So what do you think? Was it worth the 3-5 year wait. Was it rushed at the last moment, what do you think. Are you going to take it back?
Post Sat May 04, 2002 11:17 am
Peregrine

I'm really enjoying it so far. Good performance for me, plus the ability to just wander around and get into all kinds of trouble that was the best thing about Daggerfall. I've enjoyed the various small quests and little secret areas, plus the wide variety of characters you can create. Really like it and expect it to only get better.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 11:20 am

DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Max Killen.

I haveīnt played it either.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Sat May 04, 2002 11:58 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Morrowind is not a game, its virtual reality, and the reality is a fantasy world.

It will take years until someone are able to release a such realistic game again.

I have played this game for three days now, and still havnt taken one step through the main storyline, in fact, I almost ignored it... I explore the world, and myself, talk to a few people, but mostly find my way in the wilderness.

As long as you have a great computer (GeForce 3/1000Mhz is minimum, GeForce 4/2000Mhz is reccomended for full glory) you really cant place your money in a package so full of replay value. I can already see that I will play this game through several times.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sat May 04, 2002 1:00 pm
pakaraatzi
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I second JemyM's opinion.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 1:05 pm
Pesky Wabbit
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

third
Post Sat May 04, 2002 1:13 pm
rhett
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I would tell you but I dont have the game yet. Hurry up and ship!
Post Sat May 04, 2002 1:54 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by JemyM
I can already see that I will play this game through several times.

.....and make a walkthrough? (Maybe not because that will be a toooooooooo big walkthrough and take tooooooooo much time?)
His latest, a hit

Written by - dteowner
Post Sat May 04, 2002 2:03 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

I tought you guys where happy with my Gothic faq, but now you guys ask me for more? ))

Well, actually, I tought about it... But dont expect one in a month, I will play the game through at least 1-2 times first.

The good part with writing a FAQ for this one is *pride*, the bad part is *time* =)

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sat May 04, 2002 4:12 pm
radioman970
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Morrowind impressions

Athlon T-bird 1.4
GF2 GTS 64meg
256megs

How much do I like this game? I just ordered a damn GF4Ti4600! Max out that credit card baby so this one can fly!

Anyway, on the system above at modest settings and 1024x768 it runs smooth as glass indoors. Mostly smooth in wilderness. Somewhat choppy in cities such as Balmora. I bought the GF4 to fix all that. My hard drive is probably a bit fragmented so I did notice a lot of choppiness during access but it wasn't limited to this. The HIGH sound setting also caused a lot of choppiness (turned it to LOW and it smooth out in wilderness). Does anybody know a good cheap sound card for this (I have a cheap AudioExcel av512)? I thought the object detail was better than any game I've played. There's so much variety I was looking in all directions. (Spoiler?) I found a ship that had run aground and I just about freaked (the game locked up so I didn't explore but I could have-only two lockups and I've played the fame and fiddled with controls a lot...not bad). The water looked better than expected (much better than GOTHIC) on the above system (GF4 wil better better, hee hee hee). It's great looking down on Odai River from Balmora's city wall - give it a try! The characters in the game are nicely detailed and numerous. Love the funny torches they carry. A few favorite things are the weather effects (2 words: sand storm), amazing sky textures (just damn!), awesome detail indoors. Morrowind of overflowing with RPG goodness. Just trying out the missions and walking around will help you escape your normal dull life (assuming you didn;t just win the lottery or something). Let the complainers play Dungeon Seige or Diablo.

Now, here's the things I didn't like so much. The giant beasts you travel on were striking. However, the travel process is instant. I'd love to travel in real time on the back of that thing. I like realism! I ain't in no hurry! Show me all of it! Also, many of the early creatures in the game are a little disappointing. I guess it'll take time to get to the good ones. Rats, leeches and crabs were not too interesting. By far my biggest gripe has to be combat. Ultima underworld, Daggerfall, Gothic (heck, evenb FTL's Dungeon Master)...these games got it right. Variety in swings is so important. Also, you need to know when a hit is a good hit. Put a splat of blood and even a number to show how good it was. Something visual! Sound effect indicator too. I also thought the sounds overall were a mixed bag. For example, I didn't like the jumping sound. Most is very good on HIGH setting. Also the music is perfect. Nice job Jeremy Soule!! Reminded me of Titanic or Lord of the Rings.

Well, I'm ready to play some more. This game is worth the trouble. Certainly some of the problems will be address in a patch. In the meantime this game is still grand! It's worth upgrading for as it is. When that GF4 comes you won't hear from me for a looooooooong time!!
Post Sat May 04, 2002 4:13 pm
Krogon

Walk on water

Just had to add that walk on water spell if very cool...Running accross the ocean is a blast, and you don't get bit by a ravenous fish;)
Post Sat May 04, 2002 4:30 pm

MamoVaka

amazing

an AMAZING game, words can describe what they have done here. HOWEVER

I have a top end PC and the framerates are totally unacceptable. I am going to look into reasons as to why this is but is seriously hampers my enjoyment of the game.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 4:37 pm

Mephy

Mamo: Get yourself some hours and try to update/defrag etc your pc. It will take some time, but it will solve most probs. Try something like Norton Utilities, they speed up my pc with 30% when I run it after a looooong time.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 4:56 pm

DzD
Unknown
Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by JemyM
I tought you guys where happy with my Gothic faq, but now you guys ask me for more? ))

Well, actually, I tought about it... But dont expect one in a month, I will play the game through at least 1-2 times first.

The good part with writing a FAQ for this one is *pride*, the bad part is *time* =)

Best Regards
JemyM
I ment that you maybe canīt make a walkthrough because it would bacame to long and it would take to much time.

I loved your Gothic walkthrough.
His latest, a hit

Written by - dteowner
Post Sat May 04, 2002 5:49 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

This game is unbelievable huge... I dont think one man could ever write a FAQ for this game... Maybee a walkthrough... =)

I can only imagine the fun to write down the content of every crate in Morrowind =)

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sun May 05, 2002 12:35 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next