Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Will this affect Gothic 3's release/development?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Will this affect Gothic 3's release/development?

http://www.bluesnews.com/

I'm sure many of you heard about the Stargate: Alliance fisaco where Jowood commented that the dev studio had failed to deliver anything..that good and such, however it seems the development studio is saying otherwise and taking jowood to court about such.

quote:
Sydney, Australia, 12th of August, 2005; Perception Pty Ltd would like to rectify certain statements that have been made to the press by JoWooD Productions. To be clear, Perception is the official licensee of MGM on Stargate SG-1: The Alliance. Any suggestion that JoWooD has rights to Stargate SG-1: The Alliance upon termination of the contract is incorrect and not based on commercial or legal fact.

Development on the game will continue uninterrupted at Perception’s Sydney studio. Perception is committed to giving fans the best gaming experience possible.

Ben Lenzo, CEO of Perception said, “We view it as unfortunate that JoWooD would elect to make such misleading and libelous comments to the media and the marketplace. Over the last 9 months, JoWooD has openly acknowledged being in breach of contract in a number of areas including many legal and confidentiality breaches as well as several financial defaults for work performed by Perception and accepted by JoWooD.”

Perception has tried to work with JoWooD to resolve these issues for months but to no avail. This resulted in several breach notices being served on JoWooD, giving them ample time to remedy. As these newest issues had not been resolved by the August 5th 2005, Perception gave notice that all outstanding issues would need to be resolved by Monday August 8th 2005, or Perception would terminate its contract with JoWooD.

“It’s disappointing to hear of this so called termination via the press on the basis of a “get in first” tactic. This further suggests that JoWooD do not understand the terms of the contract. We are not surprised by their behavior or lack of appreciation for the goodwill Perception has afforded JoWooD on many occasions,” said Lenzo

Perception has begun personal prosecution proceedings against both the CEO, Albert Seidl and the Chairman of the Supervisory Board of JoWooD, Andreas Rudas, for the libelous comments made in their press release and will use all legal remedies available to it for the substantial monies owed to it by JoWooD.

“Perception will not allow its name to be tarnished in such a manner and view such matters extremely seriously and will always protect the reputation of our staff, our products, licensing partners and the company.”

Perception will not discuss any further the outstanding issues with JoWooD in public as legal action is underway. We look forward to the release of Stargate SG-1: The Alliance.

I was just wondering, might this affect Gothic in some way? If what the development house says is True and Jowood is running dry in funds, will the G developers be hurt by it?

I'm not sure if Jowood is merely an over the alantic publisher for Gothic or what not now....
Post Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:09 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

JoWooD funds Gothic, except for an not publically explained involvement of Koch Media.
I doubt the Stargate conflict will have an effect on Gothic at all.
Post Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:50 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Hopefully it won't, but if Jowood are scrapping by for funds now how would they be able to fund G3's development and such? Unless they've already paid all of it.
Post Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:02 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Gothic 3 and Spellforce 2 are number 1 on Jowood's publishing list. I doubt that they will touch the budgets from those two games.
Post Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:59 am
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I don't think that Piranha Bytes will suffer the same fate as Looking Glass in its time.
Post Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:44 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

It seems I was a bit too optimistic. Today JoWooD presented their official 6 month numbers. The once again lost several million EURO due to restructuration costs. They have only about 0.75M in cash left.
Today their stock price crashed again. It looks like they need fresh money or they´re dead.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:16 pm
LordHagen
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What's this about Looking Glass?
0,75 Million? that's all? For a company publishing so many games that is ridiculous..
If Jowood crashes what will gothic3 become? Maybe they could put their money together, take a loan and publish them themselves. That would make less money spoiled on different things and their won't be communication etc.. problems with a publisher.
If PB hasn't money they can still finish their game but they won't get any salary. Crap
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:44 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I read today that a lawyer who works for Perception yesterday filed a petition of bankruptcy against JoWooD at the local court.
This is a very clever move, because even if Perception´s receivables don´t hold up the court ex officio has to verify JoWooD´s general ability to pay the bills.
Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:37 am
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Uh oh, i don't like that a bit. If the worst case (what i don't hope) would occur, is it possible that Koch-Media being a german publisher would take over the license ?
Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:59 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

If the court decides JoWooD was bankrupt as of yesterday a liquidator is assigned by the court who is put at the top position of the food chain. He decides about every EUR to spend, he decides everything, with the priorities on (a) finding a solution for the creditors, (b) staying in business and (c) both if possible. The problem is that _everything_ is for sale in that case. The liquidator will be open to talk about everything.
Another publisher could make an offer for JoWooD´s part of Gothic or SpellForce, and he might have different plans for the franchises.

The good thing if JoWooD survives the bankruptcy is: all bills are paid, all problems are gone and they still have a good long-term perspective.

Ascaron for example was bankrupt 3 years ago. Now they´re more successful than ever.
Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:42 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

How come Jowood is in such problems. Do they spend to much on releasing a lot of games, or are the games they publish not succesful enough?

Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:50 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Old problems. They don´t just disappear, you have to write them off in the balance sheet. Rather complex.
You can look it all up on JoWooD´s investor relations page.
Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:13 pm
LordHagen
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Jowood is really an instable company. Buying some of their shares once we know what happens to them with their problems could be a good way of making money (something like +350%). just look at their financial graphs.
But I don't know if we can.
Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:16 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The court will decide about JoWooD´s bankruptcy on Monday.
Post Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:19 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

I really hope PB can continue to work with G3 as planned no matter what the court will decide, but maybe that is'nt possible if JWD is declared bankrupt?

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:38 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next