Usergroups
The Greatest and Classic Japanimations
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I have to agree with Hexy. Ashitaka is all hero.
Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:19 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

In the DVD version, there are some comments in commentary section about the not so clear division of good vs evil, which is rather unusual compare to cartoons by Disney. Some other messages/themes include environmentalism, about caring, etc.

Several reviews at Amazon & Rotten Tomatoes give rather good analysis about the movie.

Addendum:

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy
Yeah, Ashitaka isn't the kind of hero who kills spiders to save butterflies, right (know what I mean? know what I mean? Say no more! nudge, nudge)?

Hexy: It's not my point to deny or invalid your opinion, since it's not unusual for people see things differently. The combined elements like the way of directing (the way director telling the story), story (the conflit) and characterization of character Eboshi, San, Moro, the action of San's parent (exposition through Moro), etc, were profound enough the to lead me to conclusions as above.

What i see on Ashitaka whether he is hero or goody two-shoes isn't powerful enough to affecting the theme i mentioned. He more like a neutral character to me: he doesn't totally hate or like Eboshi (for what she done), nor the monk, and he didn't agree very much with Moro's opinions, too. And yes, in one way you can see him as Mr. goody two-shoe, but i also felt some evil in him (because cursed by the evil boar he killed during the early scenes). And also because that, most of his opponents die horribly...
Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:07 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Metropolis
Nina Scroll
Record of Loduss War:OVA(6 parts, not the horrible TV series)

Those are the best of the best. Lots of ANIME coming out really sucks now. They use computers instead of hand painting cells. They heavily used computers for Ghost in the Shell & Metropolis...but they hand painted the cells. The 1st 3 I listed are cyberpunk. If you love those and Deus Ex you should also watch Blade Runner, 1st Matrix, A.I., Minority Report, Paycheck, Total Recall, the Imposter, 13th Floor live action movies. And you should read anything by the late great speed-freek Phillip K. Dick. the writer of many great mind-trip sci-fi short stories and novels. Also the soundtracks to Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, and Akira are the best soundtracks EVER recorded!
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard

Last edited by RPG Frog on Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:36 am
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I haven't seen too many Animes myself.

I just watched final fantasy on scifi channel. I must say the story is absolutely not like any of the final fantasy video games. The titie is really misleading.

The graphics however is mind blowing. It looks almost real. The story is very interesting but definitely not the greatest.

I don't really know what's greatest because I haven't seen any for the last 10 years. The last batches of movies I saw were fists of the north stars, city hunters, and golden warriors. They came out around mid 80's. Those were awesome.
Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:17 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

I assume what you saw was Final Fantasy; The Spirits Within. It definitely great in graphics - but the plot and story wasn't very good. It failed on box-office and last i heard the company that made the movie gone bankrupt.

I only read City Hunter on manga, the male protagonist's behavior capable to makes you roll on the floor and laughing.
Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:30 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Square? Bankrupt? No, not really... as in at all. They merged with Enix recently to become the third most powerful company in gaming.

Their movie division still profides graphics for commericals and the recent computer touches to anime and movies and such: Spirits Within was a stupidly expensive business card but I still think the movie broke even.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:34 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

Square Pictures, the division of Square responsible for the Final Fantasy movie, was sold to Sony because it failed to turn a profit. Which is a pity; I really think the movie could have done better if they had written a more captivating story.
Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:27 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Probably right.

Hmm. I was fairly certain (though not 100%) I've seen recent stuff with "Square Pictures" listed as doing the 3D. I admit I have no idea what Sony did with the name or assets, however.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:31 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Did you see "Last Flight of the Osiris" or whatever it was called, in the Animatrix? The CG in that short looked suspiciously similar to the Final Fantasy movie, and I'm sure it even used at least one of the same character models.

I actually quite liked the FF movie. I think it was let down by weak secondary characters and over-exposure of some of the animation's more wooden moments, but I actually thought the story itself was really good - even if it wasn't told as well as it could have been. I particularly liked the James Woods-voiced character, a convincing and understandable "bad guy."

Apparently, after being shown to US test audiences, the film was edited to remove what I consider to be an important part of the story:
Spoiler:

Towards the end, Aki realises that the spirit inside her has changed, which allows her to complete the pattern and placate the alien gaia, yet no explanation is given for this change. Originally, this was due to the fact that she was pregnant with Gray's child, and the spirit changed as she did. Kind of makes sense to me, but the test audiences thought it was unpleasant, so it got chopped. Damn them.

I too am a big fan of every Miyayzaki film I've seen so far, including My Neighbour Tottoro (sp?) - yeah, it's a kids' film, but a good one and not patronising like most Disney stuff, and it has a strong story that adults can relate to while their kids indulge in the fantasy - although the English-language version is pretty awful to listen to. Another Studio Ghibli film, The Cat Returns is pretty good fun - not as thought-provoking or beautiful as most of Miyazaki's stuff, but still good fun, and again it's a kids' film that will not be sickeningly offputting to adults.
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:53 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by piln
Did you see "Last Flight of the Osiris" or whatever it was called, in the Animatrix? The CG in that short looked suspiciously similar to the Final Fantasy movie, and I'm sure it even used at least one of the same character models.

That was done by the crew that did FF the movie. The movie is a killer accomplishment because of it's animation. Everything else about it is sucks though...just like the last 4 Final Fantasy games. There is no consistency because they farm that franchise out to 3 simultaneous devolopers so that they can put out 1 game every year.

I do respect the Animatrix though...all of the skits except maybe 2 were done by Japanese(not a fan of the Aeon Flux stuff at all) Most of these were classic directors. My fave is done by the guy who did Vampire Hunter D & Amon Saga. It's the one where they are riding on horseback.

I REALLY wanna see the new Ghost in the Shell miniseries. It's only out in Japan though. Hopefully it does not suck like the new-school anime from the last 5 years. Anime used to be so good it rivaled western cinema or Akira Kurasawa movies.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:56 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

When was Akira Kurosawa ever any good?

'The Second Ranissance' part of the animatrix was cool. The rest was just wierd, although pretty well-made.

New anime beats most of the old crap, or the so called "old-skewl".
Stuff like Berserk, Record of Lodoss War, Ninja Scroll and such have NOTHING on new animes like Ghost In The Shell - Stand Alone Complex, Wolf's Rain etc.
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:22 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:

Only from the beginning of his carrer, to the end. He was the greatest filmmaker this planet has seen so far.

I've seen a few of the GITS: Stand Alone Complex episodes, but out-of-sequence so I can't really get a handle on what's going on... but it does look pretty good. And I saw a spin-off series of shorts featuring the robots from SAC, which is quite funny but incredibly bizarre. There's a SAC game on the way too, so keep your eyes peeled.

I liked most of the Animatrix stuff too, a lot more than the films. Loved the artwork in some of them (the haunted house story and 2nd Rennaisance in particular), but I hated the black & white P.I. episode, the one with Trinity in (lovely art style, shockingly bad story & script... ugh).
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:59 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...
The last thing you see...

For those interested in Stand Alone Complex, Cartoon Network will air the TV episodes later this year. The DVD is going to come out in June.
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:59 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Secret Agent Lawanda
For those interested in Stand Alone Complex, Cartoon Network will air the TV episodes later this year. The DVD is going to come out in June.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!

As a freshman in college, I remember roadtripping with some friends for many hours to see the theatrical US release of Ghost in the Shell. That was one of the greatest movie-going experiences EVER!. The only thing I can think of that tops it, would be seeing Blade Runner on the silverscreen with my older brother in 1982.
Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:43 am
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:

For one who united Western and Eastern filmmaking and found Shakespeare, comedy, and drama in ancient and modern Japanese life, he wasn't good. He was terrific.
Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:33 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2