View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Georgo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

A real RPG...for newbies

Hey all,

This is my first post, I am happy to join the fun (be kind with my English...)

Maybe I am being unrealistic but I would like to find a specific kind of RPG.

I guess I am a newbie since I've been trying to get into RPGs for years with no real success so far. The problem is always the difficulty of the fights and the learning curve : I start a new game and end up stuck in the first dungeon or in a single fight, or I get lost in a universe that becomes much too big and overwhelming too fast. That is why I never managed to pass the start of BG2 (I remember those invisible enemies in the circus, what a nightmare...) or Planescape Torment (sooo many quests, places and people since the very begining that It was overwhelming, first fights too hard). Those games are currently wainting for the day I'll try them again.

So far, the only RPGs I managed to play are Ultima Underworld 1&2 and Arx. I tried console RPGs but I find the random fights system terrible. I also tried Diablo but it's too much action-based for me.

Do you know some games with a very progressive learning curve, or with a low difficulty level? I just want to play more to learn how all this works, so I can play tougher games later on.

Thanx
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:33 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

The Realms of Arkania Triology is good for learning rpg-playing.
Arcanum is a game with many quests and easy combat.
Devine Devinity is a rpg for beginners, too.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:40 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

The first Lands of Lore was rather mild in all regards, so if you don't encounter tech trouble playing this old game might be worth a try. No. 3 was another not-too-difficult CRPG, but LoL 2 is not for everyone as it seems.
If you liked UU and Arx and are not hooked on fantasy games exclusively, you might also try System Shock 1 and 2, or Deus Ex.

I nearly forgot... welcome to the boards .
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:55 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Welcome. I'd like to suggest some of the old Ultimas if you can find them and get them to work. Some of them are being re-made as NWN mods. Speaking of NWN, some of those mods aren't too difficult. I've just finished the 5 games in the Shadowlords series and they aren't too tough for newbies. Divinity as previously mentioned is great. I think you might find DX and SS too tough though they are great games. I can't go past Gothic, but you have to be careful early on. I think you'd find Morrowind overwhelming. Anachronox isn't too bad, and is very funny. Summoner was quite good as well. Avoid Dungeon Seige. OK, that's my list to try. Enjoy yourself, and don't be afraid to ask here for help.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:25 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Especially the first System Shock can't have been tough IIRC because it happened to be my first CRPG, and I ploughed through it with no problems at all, and no walkthrough. But perhaps I did have too much time on my hands when I was younger . Gothic definitely is one extremely fine game, but the learning curve is too steep for a beginner.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:41 pm
Scribbles
Unsent
Unsent

word. you should have seen my brother when he first played Gothic. it took him three days to learn how to pick things up and fight . i have to say that itcould be better, but Gothic 2 is so much easier. i plaed the demo and they changed it.

anyway, no, Gothic isnt a good beginer RPG, but i do advise that you pick it up when you gain some CRPG XP. A good starter is Deus Ex. that is one of the best games i have ever played and i cant wait until the sequal Deus Ex 2: Invisible War

Broken in Exile
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:51 pm
Georgo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thank you all for the tips and for the warm welcome.

I am currently downloading demos of Arcanum and Divine Divinity (200 and 400 Mo each!!!), just to give them a try.

I tried to find Realms of Arkania on abandonware sites but all the links seem to be dead (sigh).

I already tried System Shock 2 months ago and though the game seemed great, it was a bit too creepy (do I hear somebody laughing? ).

Oh, and thank God you told me about Gothic, I was trying very hard to find it since it is not distributed in my country and I would probably have paid a lot for the import. Now I know it still a bit too early to try it. Hmm, I wonder though, is the game still distributed somewhere? Amazon.uk says it is not available anymore...

Well, I am going to try Arcanum now.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:37 pm
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

I would suggest playing with a fighter in Arcanum. I mean it's ( almost ) always the easiest way

And happy gamming.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:50 pm
Parcival
Rightful Heir To The Throne
Rightful Heir To The Throne

Re: A real RPG...for newbies

quote:
Originally posted by Georgo
Hey all,

So far, the only RPGs I managed to play are Ultima Underworld 1&2 and Arx.

Hi (and welcome)

Given the games you played your learning curve troubles must be about some of the fighting only. UU and Arx arent that easy, nor linear...

Given the fact these are all 1st person games, you realy should try Gothic. Youll have to beat your keyboard to master the controlls in the beginning, but in-game the learning curve is OK.

Another game you want to be looking for is Ultima IX. This has the best in-game tutorial i have met so far. Ultima IX was trashed by all time Ultima fans, but I bought it at the time, with only Ultima Underworld expercienc - and it was love at first sight. The world is immersive and overwhelming in the end, but starts out small. the plot as well as the controlls grow slowly on you. From you point of view it is probably a must-have.

Dungeon Siege probably has t few plot twists and is to linear for your taste. You might want to try it anyway, simply because it is fun and very easy to get in to. DS becomes especialy interesting when some of the most promising DS project come out. Among others the Ultima 5 remake - Lazarus.

Yours,

Parcival
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:36 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Realms of Arkania 1+2:

http://www.abandonkeep.com

Great Abandonware Search Engine:

http://www.freeoldies.com
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:12 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Ahem, Realms of Arkania is still for sale in some countries. Germany for example.

If you want something really simple try Return to Krondor. Nice fast food. Combat is turn based, you can take all the time you need to think about the next move.
You can find details about all the mentioned games in our game database.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:32 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

Don't dismiss console rpgs stright away. The Zelda games are very good, especially ocarina of time ('twas my first y'know). Gothic is quite big, but not as big as morrowind, and you are kind of taken by the hand, but you still have a fair bit of freedom ('twas my second rpg y'know)
Welcome to RPGDot!!

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:45 pm
Georgo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thank you all

I think I will be able to "level up" soon
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:20 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

quote:
Originally posted by Georgo
I already tried System Shock 2 months ago and though the game seemed great, it was a bit too creepy (do I hear somebody laughing? ).

Nope. I scared me senseless. I had to take regular breaks to calm down.

My vote goes for Divine Divinity; I'm playing Arcanum at the moment and it's pretty stat-heavy.
Post Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:38 am
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

I don't think that DD is very newbie friendly......
If Baldur's gate frustrated you, this game probably will too.

I strongly suggest the M&M 6, I think that it was the 2nd rpg that I have ever played and I found it to be relatively easy in the beggining, as long as you know where the weak monsters are. Oh, and I was about 9-10 yrs old when I finished it! took me 200 + hours!!!!!!
Post Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:46 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next