Usergroups
Ekim's Gamer View: Commenting the News
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I'm surprised no-one mentioned Deus Ex 2 which is onthe way, Geneforge 2 and dare I say it with tongue firmly in cheek, Grimoire!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:26 pm
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Greyhawk, The Temple of Elemental Evil yet.
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:42 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
Boy! Is it a slow start to the year or what? I wonder if we're paying for last year's excellent crop of RPGs. I remember that I was already playing Dungeon Siege at this time last year, and awaiting impatiently the imminent release of NWN. This year is… different to say the least.

I felt the same. we have less higly expected CRPGs compare to last year. In fact, it's becoming more often for me to visit non-RPGs websites or forums, because most interesting and good quality games so far are not RPGs.

True, this year we have Greyhawk, Lionheart, Pirates of the Caribbean and such, but they only got attention from hardcore RPG fans, or particular group of RPG fans (like D&D universe, etc). The only high profile RPGs is Knights of the Old Republic. There is three reasons why i think KoToR will become the biggest RPG this year.

1) Most fairly experienced RPGs player, and every RPGs veteran, are aware of the title because of the well known RPG developer behind the game, Bioware.

2) The game will not only get the attention of hardcore RPGs player, plus all the Star Wars junkies, but also the bigger and more profitable market - the casual gamers. Mostly casual gamers, even non-gamer, will recognize the Star Wars brand name.

3) Promising sales and fans base in console market. The total sales of console market (Xbox) could easily more than the sales on PC. Currently consoles market is growing better than PC market.

As for Gothic 2, i think its miss the opportunity for 2003 first quarter release when there's no competitive RPG titles available.
Post Sat Apr 05, 2003 6:43 am

"As if we had more than enough single-player RPGs on our hands, Lionheart gets pushed back to… August??? Ouch! This game was already looking outdated last year."

Uh, wut? Outdated? If you're talking about its graphics then you obviously haven't even looked at the screenshots, which are quite spiffy indeed.
Post Sat Apr 05, 2003 9:31 am

quote:
Boy! Is it a slow start to the year or what? I wonder if we're paying for last year's excellent crop of RPGs. I remember that I was already playing Dungeon Siege at this time last year, and awaiting impatiently the imminent release of NWN. This year is… different to say the least.

What do you mean? This year is shaping up to be way better than last year. Let's have a look, such promising titles as Greyhawk, Lionheart, Geneforge 2, Bloodmoon and Deus Ex 2 (if you're willing to classify it as a CRPG) immediately spring to mind. But then again, if Dungeon Siege and NWN are your definitions of good CRPGs, I can understand your disappointment..
Post Sat Apr 05, 2003 9:48 am

Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Uh, wut? Outdated? If you're talking about its graphics then you obviously haven't even looked at the screenshots, which are quite spiffy indeed.

Lionheart's graphics are indeed "spiffy" and detailed, as you say. They are still outdated.... But I never said that would make the game bad, I merely implied that it will hurt the game's sales.

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
But then again, if Dungeon Siege and NWN are your definitions of good CRPGs, I can understand your disappointment..

Well, no I certainly wouldn't say that Dungeon Siege is my definition of a CRPG.... But NWN I'm confused. How could you not think of NWN as the very definition of what a CRPG is exactly?

Oh, and even if Dungeon Siege wasn't very "RPG" in its core, it was still out in our hands by this time last year. Which is already more than what we have this year. At least we had something to try out before the "big boys" arrived
Post Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:11 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Ekim, I think he's disputing the quality of NWN, rather than definitions. Although I'm having a blast with the game (into the home stretch of the OC), I can see where someone might not fully enjoy it. NWN is a good SP game, whether you play the OC or mods. Where it really gets its legs is in MP. If our poster didn't try MP, or tried it with a bunch of boneheads, NWN simply wouldn't step up to "great game" status.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:46 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
I'm confused. How could you not think of NWN as the very definition of what a CRPG is exactly?
What, the definition of CRPG is 'a boring and unimmersive hack'n slash fest without atmosphere'? Of course, it's all a matter of taste, but NWN has the dubious honor of being one of the very few games I didn't finish (DS was another one). For me the best thing in NWN was Barbie's fashion studio - I spent more time designing armor than playing the actual game. IMO Planescape was a great AD&D CRPG - it managed to be immersive despite the iso3D view, and it had a quite unique atmosphere.
Just don't take me too serious, my taste is not exactly representative, but just as with every other game there are people who didn't like NWN.
Post Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:48 pm

Greyhawk:TOEE from troika games is pretty much all I'm looking forward to. did it get pushed back to September?
Post Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:56 pm

Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

@Jaz, but you did enjoy MP NWN, didn't you?
Post Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:52 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

MP was fun at times. But I was talking about the singleplayer experience, should have said it, sorry.
Post Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:58 am
Dhruin

I assumed you meant SP, anyway . That's the problem with discussing/judging NWN: some people aren't satisfied with the SP and therefore aren't satifisfied with the game as a whole; others see it as (essentially) a MP game in the first place.
Post Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:26 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

I've actually always been one of the first to agree with anyone that ever said the SP campaign was not very good... I never got passed the second chapter And I usually finish my games too. But the beauty of NWN is that there are over 2000 other games out there for it. And at least a few of those are bound to be some that remind you a little of Planescape. To me, if a NWN module is done right, it can be the very definition of what an RPG should be, because it has almost limitless possibilities in terms of role-playing.
Post Sun Apr 06, 2003 2:27 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

But wade through tons of manure to find one pearl? I want a good game straight out of the box.
Post Sun Apr 06, 2003 3:39 pm
Dhruin

Action Jaz - straight to the point .
Post Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:23 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next