Usergroups
The mystery of the disappearance of Dwarves from Tamriel
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

Anyone who has played Arena and Daggerfall has heard of the mysterious disapperance of the dwarven race from the face of Tamriel(the name of the land in which the Elder Scrolls adventures takes place). It happened long ago and no one knows what happened. But recently one of the Morrowind Dev's said that the mystery of the dwarves disappearnce will be revealed in Morrowind. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what happened to them? I have my own ideas, but I will wait until others have posted before I reveal my own predictions.
Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 8:24 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

They probably fell through the buggy floor in Daggerfall, never to be seen again.

Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 9:13 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

quote:

On 2002-02-28 15:13, Jaz wrote:
They probably fell through the buggy floor in Daggerfall, never to be seen again.

Actually, that buggy floor thing only really happened when you played the game in windows. If you played in dos 6.22(not dos mode in windows)that never happened, at least it didn't when I played, with the latest patch installed.
Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 9:17 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I wish I could have seen the game's end (Daggerfall, I mean). I really do. It was really frustrating, nobody cared to give me the letter which triggered the final quest.

Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 9:24 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

quote:

On 2002-02-28 15:24, Jaz wrote:
I wish I could have seen the game's end (Daggerfall, I mean). I really do. It was really frustrating, nobody cared to give me the letter which triggered the final quest.

*Spoiler alert*

I never beat the game, but I watched my brother beat it. The intro movie to Daggerfall was pretty cool in my opinion. Unfortunately, the ending was not so cool.
All there was was a piece of artwork and some text at the end and that was it. No cool movie like they had at the beginning, no animation at all. I was disappointed.
I hope the ending for Morrowind will be better.
P.S. Daggerfall did have multiple endings though, which was cool.
My brother chose to side with the Blades, so he and I got to see the Blade ending(which was just a picture and text). I never saw any of the other endings.

[ This Message was edited by: The Hulk on 2002-02-28 15:37 ]
Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 9:31 pm

UH, actually, there are some movie scenes, just not any with live actors like in the opening.

When you find Lysandus's Tomb, and open it (after you get the magic dust from that chick who was his mistress and banished to that island tower/fortress/dungeon place), there will be a cutscene of his ghost/spirit appear and babble and stuff like that. You learn who is responsible for his death and same crap like that, but it was an OK cutscene.
After you get vengeance for him (against Baron/Lord Woudbourne, I think his name was), by killing him or getting evidence and turning it over to someone who would gave a crap enough for Lysandus, it should show another cutscene of his ghost flying out of the city or something like that (and I think there was a voice over).
Kinda fuzzy memory, I beat the game a good while ago, but I remember them having these two things.
BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.
Then you get the totem, give it to whoever (too bad you can't keep it! Er, well, technically, you could.), go to see Nafalga, she teleports you to the weird abstract-dimensional realm, go through it, figure out the lame-ass puzzles, find the magic green crystal, touch it to activate the totem's powers and stuff, get teleported back out and she shows you her "Book of Time" or whatever, and there's a different cutscene depending on who you gave the totem too.
Kinda cool, not too many RPGs offer multiple endings. Not bad cutscenes, quite brief though, a couple were totally lame.

What was really annoying, was the narrator, his voice was too deep and echoing, making it sound totally muffled. I had to replay the cutscenes a couple times to figure out what he was mumbling about.

I think I remember hearing something about there being another cutscene that maybe was left out of the game that showed stuff on the battle where Lysandus was killed. In fact, I think I saw a pic of it on some site once.
Daggerfall was such a large-scale game, even today, after playing the game for years, I'll still run into something I haven't seen before. I knew one guy who said one time the phone booth from the Dr.Who TV show appeared, like some kind of easter egg. I dunno. Whatever.
Great game.
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 12:59 am

I think thie dissapearance of dwarves will be linked to "the blight" which from my uderstanding (ive been readign every dev and tester comment ever made for morrowidn this passed month) is a curse that is beggining to spread. It originates from a giant volcanoe in the center of Tamriel.

Volcanoes are mainly underground, and dwarves live and hang out underground.
So my guess is this "curse" siped em out.
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:37 am

I think that it will have something to do with the God Lorkhans heart. Perhaps they stumbled upon it or some such. I was reading in a number of sites the basic history/myth of Morrowind and the varied accounts has the Gods heart somwhere on the island possibly in the volcano at a guess. Toss in the "gods who live in Morrowind" like Vivec, and perhaps some involvement exists there as well. Oh well, just a thought....
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:04 pm

I think the Dwarves are going to be mutated by the blight. I remember reading somewhere that the blight mutates beasts...so why not Dwarves? On a side note, the player character can be infected with the blight.
Post Sat Apr 13, 2002 9:40 am