Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Summoner, the new uberhero in NotR?! (possible spoiler)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Summoner, the new uberhero in NotR?! (possible spoiler)

I've been playing NotR for a while and enjoyed the increased difficulty level and new world and especially some of the new creatures. (that swamp rat with the spikes on his back is so cute )

Now in chapter 4 (around level 30) I understand what everybody was talking about the difficulty. Orc Elite and Lizardmen are tough! One on one they can be done easily but the problem is that they come in groups. Fighting 1 Orc Elite and 2 Orcs at the same time with only a sword used to be your average day job, now it's a real pain in the butt.
I enjoy it however and it adds realisme if you ask me. One man can't defeat a whole army like it did in Gothic 2. Now with the addon you can hardly kill more than one of them at the same time.

Seekers are tough! In chapter 3 I'd noticed they were stronger. Instead of Fire Arrow in Gothic 2 they now used Fireball and Small Firestorm. And their german voice is so much better than the English one. Now in chapter 4 I'm considering joining the dark side, they are so powerful. I wanted to teleport to the old tower of Xardas in the VoM to improve Berliar's Claw (there's a shrine nearby) and found myself killed by the three seekers up in his tower. I reloaded and switched amulet, rings and belt to increase my magic defence and tried again. Better, although the firestorms took a lot of my health. I had finally killed one out of three when a terrible sound penetrated my ear. I had heard that sound a lot when I played a mage before the addon. The sound of clouds packing together. Before I could pray to Innos to save my soul, Rain of Fire set me and one of the seekers on fire, killing us both in an instant.
Better to burn out than fade away...right?

I've defeated two dragons upto now. The swamp dragon was just a warming up. It seems the dragons fly a lot more, they throw a lot more fire and they seem to have a tougher skin, but with Cipher and Rod is was no big deal.
The rock dragon was a different matter. First of all it started throwing fireballs at me as soon as we could see eachother. Apparently I had forgotten to charge the Eye. Before the addon you could just walk in for a cup of tea without the Eye. However when fighting the thing it kept throwing me away with his fiery breath. I had read here somewhere that summoning worked well, so I tried a skeleton. That was killed very fast and the dragon still threw me away. A Golem, better... but still the oversized lizard killed me. Let's try a Demon, a girl's most beloved pet. Worked well, almost killed the dragon on his own.
So what did I do, I reloaded the game. After all spending a Summon Demon scroll on a dragon?! I tried it again with the skeleton, I had plenty of scrolls, so I summoned three of them. Marvelous! They drove him into a corner and although they didn't do him any serious damage, kept him busy so I could blast him away with Beliar's butter knife.

Before the addon no mage ever used summoning spells, they were too weak. Maybe Summon Demon once in a while and of course there were some die-hard's that tried to play the entire game as a pure summoner. Now in the addon, I think there are some serious advantages to choose summoning instead of the normal spell like Lighting and Large Fireball. Killing groups of orcs and dragons and such is easy when you have your own army to back you up.

Oh, and one last thing, what's a good way to kill those seekers when you're a Dragonhunter?
Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:39 pm
muteki13
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I had a funny thing happen when I was playing a dragonhunter. I was going to kill the seekers in Xardas's old tower in the VOM. One of them ran out of the room straight towards me. I moved out of its way and it ran past me and climbed the ledge on the tower opposite the room it had emerged from. I went ahead and climbed up after it. Then the thing started punching me! I was so surprised I thought at first I just couldn't see the fireballs, but no it was really punching me and doing no damage.

After I killed it, I went to the doorway where I was greeted with a bunch of fireballs so I ran to the left. One of the seekers had kept aiming at my safe position and hit the other seeker by mistake. Then I was treated to a wonderful display of 2 seekers fighting each other to the death with fireballs. The winner had almost no health left and was easily dealt with.

Now the trick is to figure out how to do this deliberately.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:41 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

update

Just killed the other two dragons too and saw Ice Wolfs for the first time in my life. Tougher than lizardmen and only give 150 exp, that's lame.

The fire dragon burnt out easily with three skeletons by my side. Two didn't work because the dragon wasn't confused enough and killed them one by one. With three however the skeletons drove him into a corner, good strategy, also paid off with the Rock Dragon.

With the Ice Dragon I had some improved weaponry. Beliar's Knife was switched for the Ore Slaying Sword and I had pumped my strength from something like 95 to 135 with all kinds of bonusses and stone tablets. Lizardmen are now easy, 2 hits (99% onehander, still need to find some stonetablet somewhere) and they are gone. I didn't have any summon skeleton spell anymore, so used Golems. At first I used Goblin Skeletons but they were too weak and were killed by the dragon's breath of fire. The Golems worked very well, didn't even need to heal during the fight.

When I have the time (guess not), I'm seriously gonna try a summoner mage in my next game.
Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:20 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Actually if you aim the mage-career you should better start getting used to summoning and running. Frankly it is nearly impossible for a mage to get through hordes of enemies without your summoned friends.

In the addon almost every rune eats far more mana than ever before, and they are far less effective! Even thought skeletons seem to be a lot weaker towards the firespells(2 fireballs can take out a skeleton).Still it does not make things any easier because the orcs are your biggest problem.It takes atleast from five to six fireballs to kill a simple orc warrior and a fireball costs 15 mana so do some counting how much mana you need to kill three orcs...

Let me give few decent advices:

In addition to the summon runes, learn the ice lance from the water mages(3 lances can kill an orc).Also the coefficient of efficiency seems to be quite good as it eats only 20 mana and deals 100 magic damage.It is your best friend up to the 3:rd chapter.

Also the scrolls are valuable and very usefull.Infact a mage is almost forced to use those scrolls because the runes eat so much mana.Almost every scroll on the other hand will only eat 5 mana.

Naturally some basic fighting skills are allways helpfull.I'd recommand 1-handed weapons and dexterity based swords.But mages can get few neat staffs too.
Post Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:39 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Dez
But mages can get few neat staffs too.

That's why I thought about two-handed weapons. In Jharkendar Cronos sells some very good staffs, something called Taifun with 45 strength and 75 damage and a bonus of 5%, all the other staffs also have very good strength/damage ratios.
Post Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:12 am
Krzychu
Hidden Character
Hidden Character

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
I had finally killed one out of three when a terrible sound penetrated my ear. I had heard that sound a lot when I played a mage before the addon.

Huh? What sound?
Yeah, the Seekers are much more powerful in NotR! How shocked I was when a single Seeker (Too easy! - I thought) suddenly changed his rune to Small Firestorm and killed me with one shot! Thanks to marvin I learned that they have a wide range of spells - but I never saw them use most of those spells (they even have those addon Beliar's runes!). Well, once a Seeker cast the Lightning Storm spell at me - but I never had the pleasure of seeing a Rain of Fire. I wonder what they'll use in Chapter 6 - I'm going there soon.

quote:
Originally posted by muteki13
Then the thing started punching me!

Lol! Maybe he ran out of mana!!

Like you Sem, I had to summon creatures to beat the more powerful dragons. Although sometimes they ignored my summons and just attacked me 'till I was dead! All that fire protection didn't help me a lot. Hm, I wonder if the Fear spell still works on them in NotR - I did not check it (That way of beating them is pretty lame, hehe ). Chapter 4 wasn't that hard if you used Beliar's Claw - curse that blade, I didn't use any other weapon since I got it! Should've listened and thrown it into the sea...

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
all the other staffs also have very good strength/damage ratios.

There's even a staff with a +20 mana bonus! Don't remember if it has decent damage though...
Post Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:32 pm