MW + DirectX8.1 = BAD... MW + DirectX9 beta1 = SMOOOOOOTH
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
p0rnflake
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

MW + DirectX8.1 = BAD... MW + DirectX9 beta1 = SMOOOOOOTH

Well I've been reading some good stuff about the latest DirectX beta so I thought what the hell. Installed DirectX 9 beta 1 and Morrowind is running SMOOTH ! Balmore with directx 8.1 (Windows XP) gave me 5 - 25 FPS and there's was lots of stuttering, especially when turning to fast. With DirectX 9 I CANT get it to studder no matter what I do ! Getting 20-30 FPS all over Balmora, for the hell of it I tried running around the city for a few minuttes both during daytime and night. I got ONE small loading pause and that's it ! So grap that DirectX beta right away guys !

http://www.thedigitalresource.com/
Post Thu May 30, 2002 10:09 am
p0rnflake
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Others too.

Apparently I'm not the only one who's had luck with DirectX9.

From DriversHeaven Forum:

quote:
huh? I guess I have no framerate problems because 'm running that DirectX9Beta... I got the game after installing it and have yet to see bad framerates...

quote:
I have been playing Morrowind for 2 weeks and have tried all the tricks and they helped a little; however since downloading DX9 even Balmora is smooth and without DX9 Balmora was very choppy.

Both are R8500 owners !
Post Thu May 30, 2002 11:31 am
Brenner
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

well, I went against my better judgment and tried installing dx9. I say against my better judgement, because the game doesn't use any of the features of dx9 and ms doesn't make major changes to the core of the previous versions in order to remain backwards compatible. so, unless they made major optomizations to dx8.1 (doubtful or there would likely have been an incrmental version like 8.2), there should be no reason for an improvement in performance.

that being said, there was a raise in the avg fps while playing morrowind. I went to the two worst places for me. the back stretch where the mage and fighters guild are in balmora, and the main stretch of pelagiad. i only received a 1 - 3 fps increase on average, but the interesting thing was that it seemed much smoother than that.

it would appear that vsync is disabled by default in the beta drivers in winXP. i tested by jogging towards and away from a tower while looking quickly back and forth. i could see some minor tearing that i couldn't before, but it was much smoother.

for those thinking about trying out the new drivers, try disabling vsync first because the betas expire august 20th this year and you'll be out of luck if a crack to extend the time doesn't appear. not to mention alot of people who have no experience with inner workings of an os shouldn't be toying with beta software because they are asking for headaches.

for anyone wondering about my system:
winXP on a
p3 1ghz,
asus gd3 deluxe,
512MB ram,
asus i815ebp (ltd edition board)
sb audigy,
40 gb ata100 drive for morrowind and the os
the rest isn't important.

before dx9 i averaged 30-50 fps indoors, 18-30 outdoors away from towns, and 14-22 in most towns. after dx9 i had roughly the same numbers, but the lower end came up 2-3 fps. eg: 16-22 for towns. also, the choppiness seemd less than before even though the framerates were roughly the same.

the people with ati cards might see better improvement, but probably for the same reason.
Post Thu May 30, 2002 12:27 pm
p0rnflake
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I didn't feel all that good about installing a DirectX beta (bad experiences from the past) but - i'm not having any issues at all with the DX9b1 release.

Anyways any real man does a fresh install once every month so the time limit is not really an issue
Post Thu May 30, 2002 1:25 pm
bpdlr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Can you guys please say which graphics cards you are using? - or is that not an issue?

Also, where can you download it?

BaZ
Boycott Shampoo!
Demand REAL poo!
Post Thu May 30, 2002 1:42 pm
p0rnflake
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'm using an ATI 8500 while Brenner has a GF3 (look at his post)

The link is in the very first post by me.
Post Thu May 30, 2002 2:03 pm
LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

To those interested in DX9 go here {http://www.xtechnet.net/} There you find all the tools & info you need. just read all news about DX9 on the main page.
Post Thu May 30, 2002 3:08 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

So, you never experienced any problems with directx 9?
Post Thu May 30, 2002 3:35 pm
p0rnflake
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Not yet at least - Im sure it has bugs.. question is.. you want perfect compatability or you wonna play morrowind
Post Thu May 30, 2002 4:03 pm
Delmonte
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Is there any feedback from GForce4Ti owners with directX9? Morrowind is just about exceptable for me with the current configuration and I can't decide whether the upgrade is worth the risk.
Post Thu May 30, 2002 4:59 pm
p0rnflake
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Just ghost your c drive and give it a shot
Post Thu May 30, 2002 5:00 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

When I try to install it I get this message:

"This BETA version of DirectX EXPIRES on Aug 20, 2002!
You will need to re-install Windows(R) if you do not have a valid DirectX BetaID and access to www.betaplace.com website when it expires!

Would you like to continue with the installation of this DirectX Beta?"

What does this mean? Does it mean that I will need to reinstall my OS in August?
Post Thu May 30, 2002 5:04 pm
Lisje
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Exactly. By installing this you are betting that either

A - the final (consumer) version will be released prior to Aug. 20
B - You can become an official Microsoft Beta-tester by that date
C - another Beta-tester will make the next version of DX9beta available for download prior to this version expiring

Of the three, the last is the most likely. Windows XP Beta was widely available for download in the early phases, only as release neared did it tighten up a bit, and that was a retail product. Since this will not be sold, I doubt that will be an issue, though I did set a restore point and intend to keep an archive of files I install prior to that date just to be safe.
Post Thu May 30, 2002 5:46 pm
LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

Danicek, go to the site i mentioned in this topic earlier, reading all news in there will result in DX9 having no problems whatsoever.
Post Thu May 30, 2002 10:11 pm
Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Where do i download this? Dont give me some bs site that gives me the run around...
Post Thu May 30, 2002 10:54 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next