NWN gaming communities
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

NWN gaming communities

I'm still waiting my copy of the game, so I haven't tested the MP yet. Still, from what I've read, it seems to be mostly hack'n'slash. Ofcourse this is mostly because the game is new and the real roleplaying-servers are just getting up.

But that got me wondering about gaming communities around NWN. I know about ALFA and Errant Lands, but are there are other gaming communities dedicated to good roleplaying and storytelling?

- Member of The Nonflamers' Guild -
- Member of The Alliance of Middle-Earth -
- Worshiper of Written Word -
- Proud supporter of E.H.U.A.O -
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:02 pm
OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

Hi mDrop

Color me confused, but isn't RPGDot a gaming community? Or is there something I'm missing in your post? What are ALFA and Errant Lands?

=Member of The Nonflamers' Guild=
=Neverwinter Nights Co-Moderator=
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:05 pm
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

Heh, your sig suits this fine. I was a bit vague on my post, so here goes:

By gaming communities I meant organized groups playing the game, maybe with a persistent central server and additional adventuring servers etc. RPGdot is a gaming community, but we don't play games as a community.. Hope this clears my original post. The reason I used community instead of group is the number of people involved f.e. in ALFA. Smaller groups qualify too, but they don't usually keep much noise about themselves.

The reason I'm asking this is because I'm looking for some good roleplaying and storytelling. I still have bad memories from Vampire - The Masquerade, when the "RPG-servers" were full of cheaters and powergamers with the DM just throwing monsters at them. The easiest way to get good gaming company would be to join a suitable community, or atleast apply to one.

ALFA and Errant Lands are such communities, but atleast ALFA is closed for newcomers, atleast for the time being.

Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:18 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Well, color me confused too Your very own Nonflamers Guild is hard at work creating such a cummunity! Even Ohbrandi here is working on creating a persistent server Maybe you should read the posts in our forum?
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:51 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

But these two are big communities. I have no experience myself with groups like these. I rather be with a small group like the NF Guild group with people I atleast 'know' (as far as one can know someone else in a virtual world like this).
As far as storytelling goes, I know from experience that Val, Jaz and EverythingXen tell great stories, maybe there are others as well. Val and Ex already 'volunteered' as DM (which means when the time came to take a step forward, the rest took a step backwards ). Jaz won't play the game though.

As it is the Non-Flamers Guild, I would expect some real roleplaying without cheating and powergaming.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:54 pm
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

I know of the NF-group, but was still wondering about other communities. Besides, I was thinking of communities with a large player base, like ALFA. No doubt the NF-group will be great, as soon as we get the european version and a few more players and a DM (all this regarding us european gamers, you lucky bastards got yourself a group ready go live when we still have to wait for the game ), but if the NWN will be as addictive as I think, I believe I'll need more than my NF-fix

Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:41 pm
Gaijin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Hehe,

Count yourself lucky mDrop...I'm hearing horror stories from friends already that are talking about Power Gaming groups from hell on the servers..at least it seems you have a ready made group of mature gamers going, big group or small group
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:44 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I actually saw a server in the roleplaying section called 'Level fast... go go go!' in which the DM just dropped hapless monsters into the middle of ready and waiting parties, who trashed the poor thing. If a character died he just used a DM ressurrect on the character... no muss no fuss.

After watching for a few minutes, I started mocking and berating all involved by doing things like speaking in character and responding to such things as 'What class u? XP next lvl?' with "I'm sorry... I don't understand what you're saying? Class? I'm a noble... but what is this XP you are talking about?".

When that failed to work I just resorted to sarcastic comments made on the behalf of the defeated monsters, then asked the DM why he didn't just use the DM client to make everyone level 20.

"Where's the fun in that?" He said, seemingly honestly.

I blinked. He was passing out 'free' experience by dropping monsters into endless ambushes, keeping the characters alive, giving them a chance to heal up in the event a monster got a hit off before being evaporated (4 of the 6 were mages, of course)... and he was asking where the fun was in cutting the middle man?

Well, I got banned.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:22 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Will wonders never cease! I hear that some one (Xen) gets banned, and I cheered

Good going {insert thumbs up smiley here}
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:27 pm
Gaijin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Hehehe...Banned, good one

Well, who are we to mock people's preference in playing, but yeah, it's supposedly a server full of these fun people..
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:30 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

If anyone wants to add me to their gamespy list, sauron38 will work.
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:46 pm
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

DUDE SAURON! I SAW YOU ON LAST NIGHT! i sent you a PM but you didnt respond....

Im up for some roleplaying! me and one of my friends are doing a game right now, we made a custom area, it starts with you in a druid grove, and they complain about some undead in a ruins, well, you go in, kill some zombies and skeletons, and find out that they are caused by a goblin necromancer! and then you go back to the grove and they say please help us and all, and its great! Im playing Aktankin Verdai, a reclusive ranger to doesnt like to talk much, and HATES humans... and my friend is playing Kye McBlade, the son of a king, but he doesnt know it because his kingdom was destroyed and he was raised by elves. And Kye is a human... and then we have simeon, the Half Elven archer.... man we have lots of fun! and then we have Rayne the bard... he has lots of charisma, int, and wis, so I re-did some conversations so he can use those stats more effectively than fighting! (I.E. talking his way outta fights, getting better rewards, getting more information/quests... ITS GREAT!) and its really great because we send our mods back n'forth and each tweak them... right now one my friends has my mod "The Vale" and is messin with it

i think it would be great to play this game with some RPGDot people... i need to work on making a decent module, the one i told you about is kinda.... not working very well, the monsters are all there, and the converasations work, but.... GRRR so many problems....

Don't you feel better now?
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:45 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Supercow, if you see me on, send me a pm, I would be glad to join you. Same goes for everyone else. Lots of Ekim on Gamespy though... use my email address to recognize me (footlord_mike@hotmail.com)
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:40 pm
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

my name is SuperCowMan24 on gamespy

Don't you feel better now?
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:01 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Sorry for not replying... I'm not alerted to these things when I'm playing, but I will add you.

Actually, I'm waiting for Baalciper, Val, and EX to add me to their lists, or at least let me add them to mine.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:05 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next