Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Anyone played Ecstatica here besides me?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

Ecstatica is one of my favorite games. It came out in 93 or 94 I believe(dos only of course). The graphics are dated looking now, but for the time they were very good. You could choose to play as a male or female character which was very nice. And as far as I know, this could be the first game which let you play as a lesbian(if you play as a female character, you save the princess and hug and kiss her on the lips and ride off on a horse with her into the sunset). Unfortunately, in Ecstatica 2, they took out the ability to play a female character.
One of my friends tells me that in Ultima 7(which came out before Ecstatica), you could play a lesbian too, but I never played Ultima 7 so I don't know if she's right or not. Does anyone here know?
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 3:31 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Never heard of Ecstatica.

It was in Ultima 7: Serpent Isle. I remember because the first time I played was as a female character. You get to Moonshade and you meet an Ice Sorceress named Frigidazzi (or something like that). She offered to teach me some spells, but she said I had to come to her house after midnight. I thought okay, piece of cake. Well needless to say I got there and she had something completely different in mind. I'm still bitter about being sent to the 'Mountains of Freedom' when all I did was say HELL NO and try to run away.
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:39 am
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

Wow, seems like I will have to go buy the complete Ultima 7 now. Thanks for confirming what my friend said about it.

If you want to know more about Ecstatica(a great classic), there's a review of it at http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview/zones/reviews/pc/june/exrev.html
The review is decent, but keep in mind this reviewer was using a double speed cd-rom drive and did not do a full install. So, the performance problems and sound problems(like skipping due to slow cd speed)he cited in the review are no longer an issue.

[ This Message was edited by: The Hulk on 2002-02-26 01:47 ]
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:46 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

I played it fpor a while, but I thought it was too hard to beat. I even tried the second installment - but that was even harder *g*

Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:12 am
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I played Ecstatica through. It was very interesting, because it had an ellipsoid-based 3D view, rather than the more-common triangle-based 3d view we see everywhere now.

It had sexual elements, I seem to remember a naked lady running around (with spherical breasts, wow ). It was a bit short, though, wasn't it?
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 11:35 am
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

I admit the fighting part of the game was a bit difficult, especially to people not used to games where you have to have good reflexes and timing to excel. Once I got used to the controls though(as with Gothic), I was able to do quite well and completed the game. It was a bit on the short side I suppose, but I still enjoyed it alot. It was very unique and unusual and that's one reason why I liked it so much. Not many games have nudity either(Gothic being an exception), so that was nice as well.
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 6:36 pm
Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

That actually looks kinda cool... I'll have to keep an eye out for it in the discount/old game collections bin... That assuming it was released in the US...
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:43 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

yea this game does look cool, in 93-94 I was still a playstation-head, dont even think I owned a PC back then.

Speaking of oldies but goodies, anyone remeber a game called Act Raiser?
I played it on SNES but it was based on a PC Game. Now THAT was a good game with lots of replayability
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:53 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

Yes, it was released in the U.S.(as well as other countries). I have not seen it in bargain bins lately though. You can buy it online from CDAccess at http://www.cdaccess.com/html/quick/ecstaticpr.htm For the non-U.S. people on this board, they even ship to countries outside of the U.S.
They also offer a bundle of Ecstatica 1&2 for those who are interested(I still liked 1 better, despite 2 having better graphics).
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:00 pm
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I remember this game too. I recall liking it a lot. The graphics were really great at the time and the gameplay very enjoyable. I even bought Ecstatica II when it came out. Unfortunatly I loaned it to a friend many years ago. Never seen it since.
Post Sat Mar 23, 2002 6:24 pm