Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
About Nature Magic Progression and a few things.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeon Siege

Author Thread
PadainFain
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

About Nature Magic Progression and a few things.

A lot of people have been posting about the sloth of gaining skill in Nature Magic so I thought I would post my [subjective] findings for discussion. I won't comment on any spells I haven't been able to cast yet, so this is quite low level stuff. Please add!

General:
I completely agree with the concensus that Nature Magic is hard to get going.

Noteable Damage Spells:
Zap - You've got to use it to start with but it'll be out of your spell book soon.
Flash - probably your best bet for doing single target damage for a long time through the first half of the single player game. Actual damage done is close to the rated damage. It casts quite fast and with a range of 6 you are perfectly placed to heal a melee-er if you have one with you.
Shock - best AE damage spell available to you in the early game. Stick on some protection or regen and get in the middle of the enemy.
Multi-Spark - The first really good damage spell with any range (imho). Once I got this my Nature Magic started moving fast.

Un-noteable Damage Spells:
Lightning - Damage is way way lower than rated.
Iceshard - ditto
Iceblast - ditto
Spark - way too slow and inaccurate (strangely multispark seems not to be).

Other interesting (?) things:
Stone Skin - not worth casting. At any level the single target version Holy Armor gives more Armor (twice as much for me at 38 nature), lasts 3-4 times as long and costs 1/4 per cast. You can buff up a full party better and cheaper with Magic Armor, if you have the time.
Regeneration - Always worth landing this once or twice on everyone before a large fight. It'll save you potions and heals, meaning more damage output.
Major Heal! - wow! Now that full time healer can be a 75% nuker!

Want your melee-er to get stuck in with some spells? Regenerate + Mana Chant works great.
Fire Ring! OMG, now I am so glad I made a melee/combat character. You can switch to fire ring for a fraction of a second to activate it and then go back to melee. Hitting 6 or more creatures like that my combat skill went up about 5 points in half an hour.

Hopefully tonight I will get nearer 40 in both schools of magic to report more! Happy DS-ing.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:25 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Nice post PadainFain.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:42 am
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

You forgot to mention Healing Winds, one of my favorite nature mage spells.

Right now I'm making a melee/ dual caster just for the buffs you can get with both. I log into multiplayer, buy a bunch of potions, buff myself up to a ton of all the good buff, and then go for a roundabout. They really combine nicely.

-v
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:07 pm
PadainFain
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I did indeed.

Aye, I didn't mention Healing Winds as my current party is just two people. It serves no purpose with less than four really. I've replaced it with Nurture in my lineup now anyway.

I've reached 48 in Nature now and, to correct my first post, the group armor spell Stone Skin is nearer Magic Armor in effect. The difference when I last checked was 8 points of armor, so with a full group and higher skill it seems to be a good spell after all.

I got a whole load of new spells, moving to 48 Nature and 40 Combat last night. A lot of the spells gained in Nature were improved versions of earlier buffs - such as Inspiration and (forgot name) a new Strength buff. I haven't found these stat/skill buffs to be much use, unless I have a specific item or spell I really really want to use and I am close to being able to anyway.

I replaced Multi-Spark with Lightning Blast for my main DD in Nature but neither feels too satisfactory compared to the damage spells from Combat Magic, ten levels lower too.
I experimented with Fireball/FireRing/Firewall/FlameBlades in Combat magic. They're all good, but FireRing is the real killer experience maker. Combined with triple strike... well you try it! hehe
Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 9:21 am